Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / All weld metal tension test
- - By TheIowan Date 09-16-2011 13:01 Edited 09-16-2011 13:04
We are working to D1.1 on a welding project using Mil-DTL046100 steel.  All the welds will be 3/16" fillet welds.  We need to conduct an all weld metal tension test. We have everything almost ready to go but what strength measurement is required by D1.1. 

Here is the wording from D1.1 that I have located along with all the cross references:

4.11.3 (3) The tension test specimen shall be tested in conformance with 4.8.3.6.  The test result shall determine the strength level for the welding consumable, which shall conform to the requirements of Table 2.3 or the base metal strength level being welded

4.8.3.6 All-Weld-Metal Tension Specimen (see Figure 4.18).  The test specimen shall be tested in conformance with ASTM A370, Mechanical testing of steel products.

Table 2.3 
Fillet Welds with stress applied as Shear on effective area or Tension or compression parallel to axis of the weld – Filler metal with a strength level equal to or less than matching filler metal may be used.

ASTM A370 describes procedure for testing a variety of strength parameters.
The best choice that I have been able to come down to is tensile strength but no good solid reasoning.

Do we need Yield strength, Tensil Strength .....?
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-16-2011 13:29
Shootin from the hip here I'd say that you have to conform to the specification minimums for the materiasl you will be welding. If the material specs require yields AND tensiles then you must test for yields and tensiles, which I would suggest in any case. Ductility/elongation as well.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 09-21-2011 11:49
TheIowan,

Do we need Yield strength, Tensil Strength .....?

That is the million dollar question.  Since it's impossible to match the properties of the steel, you need to determine what is acceptable.

Start with calculations on the expected load condition of the part.  Based on that, then determine what mechanical properties you need the weld metal to perform.  I suspect that you will need Yield Strength because your steel will see impact loads.

Tyrone
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / All weld metal tension test