Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / SCWI
- - By mstrego632 Date 10-12-2011 20:38
I have been working on a project with another AWS inspector who states he has SCWI status. He promotes himself with that status to customers, engineers, QA/QC Managers, etc. I did access CWI Quick Check with his stamp number. His level is that of CWI only. I believe that this would qualify as a violation of the code of ethics. Are there repercussions for this person falsely representing AWS? What course of action, if any, should I proceed with. Please advise.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-12-2011 22:30
Mstrego632,

Welcome to the AWS Welding Forum!!

Be Careful.  He may be a SCWI.  It may depend upon when he got qualified to that level and rather the database had him listed that way YET.  Not sure how SCWI works as compared to the Endorsement Exams, but if you have his original CWI number, it may not be the same as his SCWI number.  Or if it was recent enough he may not actually have the new number yet.  You can get notified a month or so ahead of the paperwork coming through. 

Hopefully some of the others have more knowledge about how the change from CWI to SCWI status works in the database.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-12-2011 22:51 Edited 10-13-2011 04:16
Just went and checked something out using my own CWI number.

When I enter my CWI number I can see my current standing as well as my Bolting Endorsement.  The Bolting number has an assigned Cert number that is different than my CWI number.  When I enter in that number I get someone else's CWI standing.  Probably because it is not a CWI number and that is all the system is designed to check.  Personally I would think they should have a numbering system that would not overlap.  But, I don't run it. 

The system is designed to run both CWI's and SCWI's and the last digit of the ID number will be different.  So, if you got only his standing as a CWI it is probably because you did not have his SCWI number to enter into the search format.  All you have to do is look at the last digit of the number.  A '1' is a CWI. '3', '5', and '7' can also be CWI by various methods of achieving the qualifications. And an '8' is a SCWI. 

Don't be in a hurry to cry 'FOUL'.  Find out why you may have the wrong number.  If that is the only number he has then there is a possible problem with the claim.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-13-2011 03:37
The Certification Committee has asked Staff at AWS to make the listing of CAWI, CWI, and SCWI status easier to use. There is no reason why a certification number, a name, and/or birth date is needed to look up an individual's status.

Like everything in life, it takes time and effort to revamp the computer program to make it easier to use.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-13-2011 03:56
Am relatively sure things haven't changed but it used to be if his cert # ends in a 1 he is a CWI. 

Cannot remember the last number from my SCWI but believe it was an 8, anyway it is verifiable and if he is stating he's a senior but is not then would definately be an ethics issue.

Joe Kane would be the best Forum member to advise.
Parent - - By mstrego632 Date 10-13-2011 13:40
Brent,
Thank you for your response. Allow me to continue by stating that in my original meaasge I did state that I enterd the persons cert number inot the AWS quick check. The person is quailifed as a CWI. Of course his cert number ends with a "1". Also, the cert number identifies the year of certification which in this case is 2007. Considering that there is a minimum requirement of 6 years to apply for SCWI, this person would not be eligible for SCWI status which would eliminate the possibilty of his status not being current with a recent acquistion of SCWI status.
In addition, the cert number I have for this person is the current cert number of his stamp mark which he uses daily. That stamp mark in itself identifies CWI status.
The question I need to have answered is: what is the process to inform AWS of this situation/file complaint?
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 10-13-2011 13:45
I've referred your item to the Cert Dept.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By mstrego632 Date 10-13-2011 14:08
Thank you
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-13-2011 14:19
And there you go. 

That information does indeed make things look bad for the party in question.

Thanks to Admins watching over the site it is sent to the proper dept to have it checked out.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-13-2011 14:50
Yeah I agree, the mis-representation part is the problem with this situation.
Parent - By ross (***) Date 10-13-2011 18:17 Edited 10-13-2011 18:46
Here's the form (last page of attached document) to report this.

Ross
Attachment: cert3449.pdf - Violation reporting form (26k)
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 10-13-2011 14:52
mstrego632

First Welcome to the American Welding Society Online Forum

In regards to certification #

http://www.aws.org/w/a/certification/search.html

How to interpret the Certification number to determine the level of certification:
Last Digit Key
1 = CWI
2 = CAWI eligible for upgrade*
3 = cwi by upgrade*
4 = CAWI
5 = CWI through CWSIP
7 = CWI through Reciprocity
8 = SCWI
E = CWE
G = CWENG
I = SIE/Endorsement
N = CRI
O = CRAWO
R = CWSR
S = CWS
T = CRAWT

QC1-2007

http://www.aws.org/certification/docs/QC1-2007.pdf

11.2.3 Neither falsely represent current status nor seek
to misrepresent the certification level (SCWI/CWI/
CAWI) by modification of certification documents or
false verbal or written testimony of current level or status.

12. Revocation
12.1 Committee. The Committee shall have the power to
suspend, refuse renewal, or revoke the SCWI’s, CWI’s,
or CAWI’s certification for misrepresentation of facts
regarding personal qualifications, status, assignments,
etc., relating to SCWI’s, CWI’s, or CAWI’s certifications whether such misrepresentation was made at the
time of application or on subsequent applications
(renewal, etc.). The Committee may place on probation
or reprimand a certificate holder, if found guilty of any
unauthorized practice (as outlined in 11.6 Unauthorized

Again Welcome to the Forum

Marshall
Parent - - By lindah Date 10-13-2011 14:59
The course of action for these situations requires a formal alleged violations complaint be submitted to the AWS for any action to be taken. Information on the process and the form to be submitted can be found on the AWS website at www.aws.org/certification/docs/ . Under the General Forms section select "QC9 Alleged Violations of AWS Certification Programs".
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 10-19-2011 03:59 Edited 10-19-2011 09:38
This refers to OP, once you get SCWI, your CWI expires. That is true, because I ever wrote to AWS to ask on why my CWI nos. don't appear anymore in their system.

Some employers have this perception that SCWI commands high pay than CWI. There was an employer who ever told me before that they don't need SCWI for this simple job even though I told them that I'm willing to accept a CWI pay.

8 is the last digit for SCWI whereas 1 for CWI.

~Joey~
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / SCWI