Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Advertising $
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-19-2011 21:15
I did all the free listings I could on the net.   I finally broke down and listened to the pitch from the Yellow Pages guy.  I am thinking hard on it.  I really do not need another bill coming in but a friend of mine with two business told me "you really cannot afford NOT to do it".  He spends quite a chunk on it.  I know most people use the phone book for fire starter these days, but they offer all kinds of search engine placement etc. with the ads.

I just want to know what some of you use that you feel is effective and the best ROI.  I am looking at about a $1000 dollar bill on it, does not seem like much money but every dime counts for me.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-19-2011 21:38
Tommy,
In this Buisiness. (in my opinion) the yellow pages is not worth it. In 30 years I have used nothing but Cards and word of mouth. Other than that I have given out a few Caps, but usually just to my guys. All youi need is word of mouth. That will get you more work than you need.
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 11-19-2011 22:37
Hey Tommy- DONT waste your money. As  Cat said it's mostly word of mouth. I spent $2700 for a business to business add 10 years ago and got almost no calls for work. I was advertizing pipe work and Aerospace. Nothing, everything I got was from word of mouth and more importantly beating on doors. My most sucsessful customer came from a call to a machine shop who was looking to hire a welder in the local paper to do D17.1. I called and talked to them explaining that it's gonna be hard to find a welder to do this work and offered my services. They called back a few days later and I did about $175K worth of work over a three year period. Another success was a MIL-STD 248/278 contractor who I got hooked up with was from word of mouth. There is a lot of work here in PA on the shale work just practice your butt and branch and come on up! Ted
Parent - By strother (***) Date 11-19-2011 22:44
I use business cards and a local yellow page listing, but I think word of mouth is better than anything. When I get a new customer or even just make a new contact from someones refferal I make it a point to thank the person who gave them my name.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 11-20-2011 01:06
You would be better off putting that money to work in other types of advertisement.  Putting flyers up in Feed and Grain or Farm supply stores would probably get you more business than the Yellow-pages.
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 11-20-2011 01:33
Tommy I did it for a year and got NO calls.  I live in a wealthy aria full of Ranch's owned by People in Houston.  I ran my own business doing equipment maintenance and agg work. Barns, fence's and all kinds of crazy stuff. I even built a $2million church.  I was making 100k pluss every year. Then 2008 hit and I dried up.  I was starving to death.  Thats when I said I have to change directions or Die. So now Im trying Oilfield work. My point is... Maybe change directions.  A dead business is no business..!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-20-2011 02:18 Edited 11-20-2011 02:30
I have already heard enough from people I respect to change my mind.  Already I come up on the first page if you search for welders in the towns in my area...I got that with hustle for free.   I have not done one single public or non commercial job yet.  I am trying to do whatever I can do to just drum up more work, beat the bushes etc.  Every single job I do, I make dang sure they got what they wanted, got it at a price they can live with and overall were glad they called me.  I kinda look at it as "you are only as good as the last job you did". I just started this year so I am hungry as heck.  It is friends and business friends that have kept me alive so far.  Those folks will never know what they mean to me and my family no matter what I say to them.  Contacts are EVERYTHING!

I desperately want enough work to cover a lease on a shop on a major highway here.  Hire some hands to turn work in it.  I know the job shop business pretty well.  There is a need for a GOOD job shop in the area, there is only a few that turn really good work.  I hear "it is hard to find a good welding shop, all the time".  Anyway story is I am starving and just making it barely but I got my eye on the brass ring you know.  First year in business is tough, I think I have been pretty darn lucky so far.  I did not borrow any money, I financed everything out of my back pocket and still do.  Not complaining fellas/gals, I knew it would be a tough road, I am just the type of person that says "get it done, do whatever it takes, take risks and count on yourself".....So I use whatever resource I can, including you guys to make decisions and make it happen.

Richard I am trying to break out in the patch.  It is right here in my backyard...hell I wish I would have started this 5 years ago when it came to town.  There are some fine folks on this forum trying to give me a leg up on it.  I appreciate the heck out of it.  Hopefully I will get my chance to show my stuff and it will turn out good. It definitely is a world unto itself from what I have seen.

BTW for the rest of you worrying about advertising, most of the yellow pages, yahoo, local.com etc.  Well you can post your biz on there for free.  That includes detailed descriptions, website links etc.   Take advantage of it.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-20-2011 02:29 Edited 11-20-2011 02:34
Tommy,

IMHO it all depends upon the business you are trying to build and maintain.  You will get many 'OPINIONS'.  And you know what they say about those. 

You must ask yourself these questions:
1) What type of customers are you trying to establish?
2) What geographical area are you trying to reach?
3) How much money do you have available to spend on 'advertising'? (Every company should have a budget that allow some percentage for advertising)
4) What type of work do you want to base your advertising on? 

See, if you want to be chasing pipelines, you can't really do it with a LOCAL Yellow Pages ad.  But if you have a shop or are working locally on portable jobs then it will pay off better.

Here is a personal example of my advertising philosophy.  Remember, I own a local shop that also does local portable work.  Now, for me, local means in our county.  My county is, or at least was not long ago, the largest county in the USA.  Yavapai County AZ.  It is over 100 miles N-S, and about the same E-W.  We also have a bit of a markey in neighboring counties.  We have built a pretty good business in this area based on our shop's over 30 years in the area, 15 years with my family running it. 

So, we have tried about everything.  Ads in various papers.  Radio.  Yellow Pages.  Ads on covers for phone books, on pages handed out for keeping score at the bowling alley, stickers placed on projects, and assorted other methods.

For a small local shop service operation I have felt it important to keep your name in front of the people in various forms so that when they need help and look in the Yellow Pages they will call a name they recognize.  Now, we don't do all of them all of the time.  In fact, any more we do very little other than Yellow Pages. 

When you say 'Yellow Pages' it is important to realize that not all Yellow Pages are equal.  And there are many companies out there claiming to be your local yellow pages.  Most are not.

Two things have worked for me:  First and most important- WORD OF MOUTH.  Second- Yellow pages.  All others have very little response.  At least that many people remember when asked.  They remember either being told by someone or looking in the Yellow Pages.  But, when they see a name in the Yellow Pages, it helps if they see a name that they recognize for any reason. 

My Yellow Pages ad, in Century Link- formerly Qwest which is our local service in this area, is under several categories and cost less than $100 per month added to our monthly bill. 

If you ever go to sell a business it is a valuable assest to show an advertising program.  There are many advantages to advertising in MY type of business.  The question is rather YOU think it well benefit YOU in the style of business you are trying to establish and run. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 11-23-2011 22:21
I'll back up what Brent says;
gotta understand what your target market is and what you are looking to get out of it.  We can't answer that question for you.  I would say from a small business perspective some sort of name recognition be it in the local paper, yellow pages, ads, website will go far.  As brent mentioned when you open the yellow pages or do the internet search and you see two small outfits you'll go with the one that has a name you at least recognize.
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 11-20-2011 07:59
Do NOT do the yellowpages. I did the online thing, book posting, and their mail out ads. After all of that I received maybe a few calls total.

I get majority of my business from posting on craigslist, no joke. Lots of small jobs but quiet a few big jobs, also, small jobs often lead to bigger jobs. I also listed myself on google maps. It's free and when someone goes to google and types "welder (city name)" you pop up on a map. Tons of business from google maps and craigslist. Best part: It's FREE! Did yellowpages, waste of time and money. They talk big and that's about it.

Business cards from Vistaprint is another thing I did. Ordered 500 custom cards for next to nothing. Hand them out to everyone, people hold onto the card, few months later something breaks, suddenly they remember your card, phone rings :D
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-20-2011 11:32
That's how I started out! I looked on craigslist, listed on there, found work on there. Best thing for me in the first 3 years was word of mouth. I'd take temporary single hand jobs and then they would see me drive my rig to work and the inevitable question was asked, "is that your truck" yep and then I'd tell them I have a business but just starting out and trying to survive. Now, I do contract work for several of the companies that used to hire me as a hand.

Craigslist was a crapshoot, for me it was about 50/50 on the work/no work as far as my business. Found a few single hand jobs on there, temp of course, just one more contact in my opinion. For me, when I started out, $1000 a year for something I could not guarentee a $1000 return on was not worth it. Besides that I think I only made $15000 in my first year and had a wife and kids to take care of. The best thing for me by far was and still is word of mouth. I know one guy and from him I have established 3 contacts that call me exclusively. These contacts have made me some good money, now it's not huge money but a grand here, grand there is more than I would have without the contacts.

I am signed up with a company that is one of those lead generating types of things. I pay for a lead and that is it. So far it has worked out. I've gotten many calls and have made a bunch of money with them. This last few months they have had some stinky leads though, folks that don't know what custom hand rail costs but only what you can get it for at the home store. Overall though I make enough to cover the lost, no good leads and the good leads to where it is still worth doing.

Well, gotta jet, 5:30 a.m and got some gas pipe to finish.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 11-21-2011 01:48
I would have to agree with cactus I have spent more money then I like to think about on yellow page adds and after I started tracking the calls, by asking the client where they got my name not one came from the yellow pages. All are by word of mouth with the exception of a few that came from an add in a local newspaper. I would put the money on a web site before the yellow pages. Which is what I'm working on now.
Parent - By Sberry (***) Date 11-22-2011 16:36
If you have a real specialty yellows may pay off, for general work I would say no. There is a difference between marketing and advertising, a short book well worth the read is "Marketing Warfare" by Jack Trout, his other books are just as valuable. I personally think marketing without that read is a waste of time, he is simple and explains well what goes thru the customers mind and focus where the rubber hits the road which is usually competition.
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 11-22-2011 16:53
The first 2 or 3 yrs are the hardest. Good work and word of mouth is you best bet. He'll I got a call from Murphy oil to go set a head. My wifes uncle is a head pusher for them and I didn't know it. Paid like a slot machine. Just have to get your name out there. Don't give up it'll happen and don't turn nothing down no matter what time of day or night the phone rings. In 2008 I got hired from my hospital bed.  And the man didn't know who I was never even heard of me.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 11-22-2011 19:41
"Paid like a slot machine."  You do know that slot machines are rigged (Set) to take 92% of the suckers money, OR MORE.?????:smile::smile:  Are you in business to get money or loose it?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-22-2011 21:27
Shad EARNS his fare share. "Paid Like a Slot Machine" is just another one of our Southern Sayings that I am sure New Yorkers have a hard time understanding.:evil:
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 11-22-2011 23:03
I have a "One Arm Bandit" deal also... Every time he calls I just say "Cha-Ching":twisted:

I learned a long time ago to put out the very best, and make sure the customer is more than satisfied with your work. He will recommend you to everyone he knows. There are also people who can't be pleased no matter what. When I come across one of those people I charge accordingly.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-22-2011 23:17
Thats why the Rate is so HIGH when we have to go to the Northern States !!!!!
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 11-23-2011 02:46
Funny i always leave with everu penny i worked for and never an unsatisfied customer
- - By Dualie (***) Date 11-24-2011 07:40
I was going to post that this was my last year messing with putting an add in the phone book until i got a $4,500 cash job in yesterday from a guy that looked me up in the phone book.   seems like they he has atleast 3x that coming up in the next 30 days.   All cash.

Guess im putting that ad in next years phone book too.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-24-2011 16:04
I think many people would be amazed how many of their jobs actually came through the yellow pages.  But, I won't argue their personal findings.

For my business, it is worth it.  We ask almost every customer, new one that is, how they found out about us.  If it wasn't word of mouth, it is almost always Yellow Pages. 

My earlier post stated SOME points I feel important for each person to determine rather they think it will benefit them.  And it can't be for just one year.  It takes that long for things to come full cycle.  A business can not to hardly anything for just one year and then change because "it didn't work".  It takes that long to build the customer base and get the word out that we have that service available.

Patience is important when deciding direction for a company and how to get there.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 11-24-2011 17:03
Brent, How much business do you get from your website? I have wanted a website for while but wasn't really sure how much it would help.
I try to focus my business mainly on commercial customers.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-24-2011 17:56
Probably about as much as from the Yellow Pages.  Though it adds to the Yellow Pages because we had a link that in the online Yellow Pages you could go right to the website to view pics and find out more about us.  And the hard copy of the Yellow Pages included the website address as well. 

I actually get more nonsense contacts from the website.  People from around the country who get my name because of key word searches and call, email, or in some way contact to ask questions that won't require my actual service.  I also get lots of contacts from the website 'contact us' section from companies selling things or wanting to buy mass volumes of things I don't even handle.  And since I became a CWI and included that info on the website, I get contacts from people asking questions about how to become one, what to study, how much does it cost, etc.  Time consuming even to just weed through them. 

At least my Yellow Pages ad almost always ends up in a PAYING local customer. 

Now, having said that, the website has been well worth it.  We send a lot of potential customers there to find out more and especially to view a few pics.  My son recently redid the photo gallery and I need to add more pics, but it gives customers somewhere to start.  It gives them other info about us as well: Registrar of Contractor numbers, organizations we are part of, and other info to see who we are and what we can do.  Shortens my need to spend one on one time with them.

And judging from the calls I get from around the country, it would be worth it for those who do completely mobile work and travel wide areas. 

I also have an advantage, one of my younger sons has taken college courses on web design and works for a well known gun sales distributor on their internet sales, web design, and email correspondence IT team.  We bought a domain and all the other access through a company that only costs me a few dollars per month.  And, with the size of our access, we have several websites on the one server.  My son has done one for our church, a business my wife was going to set up, a couple for one of my older sons, etc.  They all piggy back off of mine and they share my cost so I pay even less.

You can see mine in my profile.  He did mine pretty much from scratch.  Some of the others he has found templates that worked and a person just fills in the blanks.  Some of those are pretty good, others, well, you get what you pay for.  And another important factor, keep it updated and make regular changes to it.  It helps somekind of rating and keeps you up at the top when people do some of the key word searches.  I don't keep mine up near enough. 

While it is only my opinion based upon my own company needs and results, I fully recommend both a decent website and a Yellow Pages ad.  Remember too, most people think of a huge ad in the Yellow Pages.  You can do just a 3/4" ad/listing right in the main part of the column, not a separate AD that may not even be on the same page as your listing and costs a lot more.  For me, it is not about the size and looks of a huge ad.  It is about name recognition.  That's why I also recommend doing some of the occassional radio spots and other things that keep a person's name out there. 

Another note, I know we just came through some pretty good times and you had to really be a failure to have not succeeded until the last 2-3 years (though it is amazing how many people I had come into the shop looking for work saying, "there's too many backhoe operators out there.  Not enough work.  I need to find something else to do."  The same from other trades as well).  But during my 15 years here let me give you a little break down:
1) The last 5 months of 1996, when we first took over this shop, we did as much business as the previous owner did in a full year.  With no change in company name, no advertising, etc.
2) The next year we moved to the far end of the building, changed the name, and did 2.5 times the volume the shop did before.
3) In 2005-8 we were at over 10X the volume of when we bought the shop. 
4) In the past two years with the current slower economy, we are still at 3-4 times what the business was doing when we bought it. 

I have posted here about how slow things are and they have been.  Once you get used to working a certain volume and then it slows down that much it hurts.  Especially when you look at all the insurance, licenses, certifications, ADVERTISING and other overhead you are keeping up that you didn't have when you started.  But without the advertising we wouldn't have even half the business that we do have.  I know that by asking people where they got our name.  Say all the negative you want,  Thank You Yellow Pages for keeping me working. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 11-25-2011 02:42 Edited 11-25-2011 02:46
The nonsense contacts are what I'm trying to avoid . I just don't have time for them any more. I started my business in 2000 and it took a  couple years to get my name out there but when it did I had more work than I could handle . My wife stayed at home and did the books. I hired help ,bought more equipment, hired more help, and bought more equipment all on borrowed money (BIG MISTAKE). I didn't turn down any work.

Then along came 2008. It was like somebody threw a switch and turned everything off. Construction was dead and Logging was just barely hanging on, But things got the worst in the winter of 2009. I had almost no work and the work I had I couldn't get paid for. And I still had those bank and credit card payments. I let all of my help go and starting looking for a job myself.

I came as close to giving up as I ever have. I actually found a good job close to home but after lots of praying and soul searching I just couldn't give up on what I had worked so hard for. So we made some changes. My wife went back to work full time. I did some re-financing
at the bank and made arrangements with the credit card companies to get those awful things paid off. I started looking and what I had done in the past that worked and what hadn't worked,trying to get as lean as possible.

Now the business is basically just me and part time helper. I feel like I'm starting over but it is actually a blessing because with ten years experience I get to do it right this time. I make the contacts, bid the work, do the scheduling and planning, all of the welding and keep the books. My wife still helps with the books some but I have taken over most of that because with a full time job and two boys she just doesn't
have time.

Work has picked up. Its nothing like it used to be but it is steady. I have to make the most of the hours I'm in the shop or on the truck.
So I made some changes there too. I started charging minimum labor( 1hr. in shop and 4hr. onsite)I started to weedout bad customers and if I am busy turning billable hours I will not
answer the shop phone.I just check the voicemail at lunch and quitting time.  It's usually just a salesman anyway .I will answer my cell phone because that is the phone that makes me money.

I guess I said all that to say this. I can't afford for people to waste my time.I don't mean that to sound arrogant but time is money so I need advertising that works to that end.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-25-2011 03:21
What You have just lived through has killed many small busnesses.

My cousin started an engineering & sales company in the early '80s. He was 51% owner. They grew the company, survived a copywright infringement lawsuit, and kept going. He sold His interests in the company to the partner over a few years in the mid-late '90s, then left to persue some other things. The 2000-2003 crash hit the Mid Atlantic area chemical & petrolium industries they served hard, and there was little work. The new owner [former partner] did not downsize quickly enough, and the company went under.

My cousin then started a new company to pick up what little work there was, enough to keep 1 man going.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-25-2011 03:55
The day you can put a stop to people wasting your time you need to figure out how you got there and market that information.  You'll never have to strike an arc again.

I don't care if it's fellow employees, management, customers, office personnel-mine or an employers, vendors, phone salesmen, internet salesmen, etc, etc.  There is always someone around to waste your time.  Especially when you are in the middle of a critical, time sensitive job. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-27-2011 18:27
Boy are you right Brent! I get stupid calls generated by my website all the time. One just about a week or two ago was from a guy in India! He was offering design services, architectural drawings and so on for $12/hour! Told him I did not have a problem with India or the folks in it but with the economy like it is in the U.S I'd rather pay a guy here and keep him working and spending money here. Apologized and then hung up! Most calls are sales calls wanting to set me up with another website that they host or something. I did however get a call from somebody interested in one of my products that I make, was actually shocked!

I think part of it is generating more traffic to your website. I've been working on it for years and did something that I hope will draw more folks in, kind of a side business that I do.

As far as yellow pages the book. We got a new one a few days ago. Have not even unwrapped it and probably never will. Most folks I talk to use internet to look up everything. Most of my older clients have kids or grandkids that help them look stuff up on the internet. My last client was in her 60's, found me on the web. A few months ago had a client, he was 85 she was late 70's, their daughter found me on the internet. For me personally the yellow pages book is a waste especially for what they charge to be listed. The book is a dying thing, kinda like the newspaper.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Advertising $