Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / oxy/acetyl-torch (powder,metal spraying)
- - By welderman (*) Date 03-03-2004 05:24
I just got introduced to metal spraying, I watched an older video of a co. called M.W. Alloys, around the Los Angeles, Ca. area, but the add & ph.are not good now. I would like to get the ph. # of a couple of companies that sell oxy/acetyl powder spraying equip.and supplies, this video showed an intake manifold broken in half, cleaned, vee grooved, aligned up, then metal sprayed in the vee grooved crack, to where you could hardly see the repair, and was supposed to be better and stronger than regular arc welding. any info, I would appreciate thanks. Bill
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 03-03-2004 12:38
I have never seen that application used to join any thing. We have used it in the past for wear surfaces.

We all so have used PTAW for the same application as well as building up surfaces to be machined back to print. Much better process than Oxy/Acet that could possibly be used to make a joint. I have never seen it done though.

Most shops have gone to HVOF for powdered metal work.

The equipment we used for Oxy/Acet was made by Stellite You might try looking there.(they have a new name now that I can't recall it) try doing a search for Stellite.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-03-2004 12:51
RonG,
I'm like you, I've not heard of anyone using it to fill a joint. I have heard of people as you said building up a surface that was out of tolerance to get machined back to design dimensions. My freind had a yoke on a rear half shaft from an old Corvette that was worn and he built it back up then turned it back down to the correct dimns.
John Wright
Parent - - By flatjwl (*) Date 03-03-2004 13:29
Yes. I am familiar with the process for welding cast iron, as well as applying "build-up" to various surfaces for wear resistance and to increase size. Be aware that welding cast iron can require pre-heat and the entire part cannot be allowed to drop below around 600 degrees F. during the application process and must be post weld treated to prevent cracking. It is possible to use this process on unrestrained joints without preheat. For example, an ear broken from the end of an exhaust manifold.
The Company I bought my equipment from conducts classes and that might be a good step to take before going off half cocked. I'll look up the phone number and post it later.
Parent - By flatjwl (*) Date 03-03-2004 17:35
The phone number for Cast Weld Technology is: 800-449-1849. They are located in Norcross, Georgia.
The cost of the cast iron filler power is around $33/lb., however there is little waste and this process get high marks for repairing otherwise almost unrepairable castings. But again, most items require significant pre and post heat, in addition to constant monitoring for temp maintanence during the application process. On a project of significant size it will sometimes be necessary to return the component to the furnace before the job is done so as to avoid dropping below the critical temperature. It is also not much fun to weld on a large block of cast iron when it is at an elevated temperature.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 03-03-2004 16:05
Try Messer Eutectic
800-323-4845

As mentioned earlier, most of these applications are coatings, but I do have a brochure from them for a powder application torch called Ultrajet.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-03-2004 17:31
Eutectic thats the one I could not recall. We had Eutectic in the power plant. Used it on shaft sleeves for bottom ash pumps. We coated some with Ceramic and over did it then spent darn near a week trying to grind it down to size.

There equipment is very high priced.
Parent - By Sand Man (**) Date 03-04-2004 16:36
Several years ago I attended A Stoody clinic where the reps used a spray torch for joining cast. As I recall, the torch was around $350.I just found the lit. in my file. It was a Stoody JS-100 spray torch.

Jeff
Parent - By welderman (*) Date 03-06-2004 05:19
Thanks guys for all of your input, I now have enough info to go on. When I saw the
video of an intake manifold spray welded to an almost invisable repair in just minutes, then a tooth on a cast iron sprocket built from the base up in less than 2 minutes, (concidering time extra for cleaning, grooving, pre and post heating), I wanted to know more about this process. I was talking to
an automotive machinist about powder spray welding, he told me that he has taken heads that were almost cracked in half. and with a
combo of pre and post heat, spray welded the head together and never
had any trouble later. and has made ears on the ends of manifolds that
have snapped off souly from the spray weld it self!

thanks again, Bill

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / oxy/acetyl-torch (powder,metal spraying)