Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / obtaining my cwi
- - By henryintyler Date 01-31-2012 03:19
I am nearing the end of my 2nd year of welding school and will be graduating with my a.a.s in the summer.  I think that the inspection field is the route that I want to take.  I was wondering what advice any of you have to someone trying to break into inspection. I've heard that the api 1104 code clinic would be a good place to start, but honestly I have no idea. I have worked as a structural welder throughout school and have a background in offshore construction.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 01-31-2012 04:47
Henry

You need a five year experience / education combination to be eligible for CWI Status.  Check out QC-1 available as a free download from the AWS Web Site.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-31-2012 12:00
First thing I would ask is, if you intend to bail on welding immediately after finishing school for it, why did you take it to begin with?
If you have off shore in your background, you may wish to look into NDT off shore.
- - By henryintyler Date 01-31-2012 05:10 Edited 01-31-2012 05:15
Thanks Joe.  I do meet those requirements that you pointed out as per b5.1.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-31-2012 11:55
If all of your experience is in the structural world, why would you take your CWI exam to a pipe code?

If the answer is: "I heard the book was thninner and the test was easier"

your on your own.
- - By henryintyler Date 01-31-2012 13:26
Like I said, I'm really not sure which facet of inspection of pursue. Size of the code book not an issue, lol.  I was exposed to a lot of pipe fabrication and inspection offshore and it is something that interests me.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-31-2012 14:27
It has more to do with which way you want your career to go. If you plan on inspecting in the Oil and Gas industry, then go with 1104. If you plan on working in the structural world, then D1.1
Remember though, API 1104 does not recognize AWS CWI certification. So if you think taking the test with 1104 will help you in securing a pipeline inspection job, well that is not the way it works. May not be fair, but that is just the way it goes.
The intent of the CWI program is to test the inspectors knowledge of welding and the ability to use basic inspection tools and accept and reject welds to a standard. It comes down to what you have worked in. I took my test to 1104 because that is what I am famillar with. I believe had I spent the time to study D1.1 I would have passed the test using it.
And when you pass the test, remember it is just the beginning. In addition to my CWI I have and maintain 5 additional certifications and have in the past had to train and qualify in MT, PT and UT. The CWI is only the beginning.
When I started inspecting full time I had a welding rig and all the farkles and sparklys. I wanted to be able to weld and inspect.
Be sorta versitle.
The best advice I ever received "If you are going to weld, weld. If you are going to inspect, inspect. You cannot be the best at both. You can be good at both but never the best. And what are you going to do when you get laid off a inspecting job and go looking for a welding job with a contractor you inspected over the week before." I sold all the sparklys and farlkes. Kept my SA200 for about 5 years, then sold it. And I have never looked back.
Both careers can be frustrating or rewarding. Just depends on you.
I would research pipeline integrity as a career path. With welding experience, a CWI and two to three years as a gypsy with a PI company, you can write your own ticket. If you have the drive and desire.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-31-2012 15:45
*****  5 star post
Parent - By PWCameron (**) Date 02-01-2012 11:00
***** Exactly!
- By henryintyler Date 02-01-2012 21:10
Thanks for all the responses.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / obtaining my cwi