Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / API question
- - By rcwelding (***) Date 04-19-2012 09:37
Im looking at going into a new rig yard..  They are API  Qualified yet they dont want to furnish rods and dont have any ovens on site much less log sheets to keep track of rods.   My question is how can you be working under an API umbrela and not have rod ovens and log sheets...?
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-19-2012 10:11 Edited 04-19-2012 10:14
RC,
Call me and I will explain how it works. As you know, Most everything we do (pertaining to Rigs) is API.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-19-2012 13:11 Edited 04-19-2012 19:21
API 1104 is as loosy goosey as any welding standard ever published. It is not a code; it is a standard that places all the responsibility in the lap of the contractor. Everything is founded on the WPS that is qualified by the contractor. Like many ASME construction codes, API 1104 doesn't tell the contractor how to do anything.

If the contractor determines they want to use an electrode oven (or not) to store the low hydrogen SMAW electrodes, so be it. If the contractor decides the oven should be maintained at 150 degrees F, so be it. If the contractor decides the line pipe is to be purged with raw benzene, so be it. As long as the contractor qualifies the WPS and it passes the required tests it is fine by API.

Considering the financial repercussions of a weld related failure, few reputable contractors are going to intentionally do things that can compromise their reputations or financial well being. Those contractors that cut corners or don’t heed time proven industry practices are usually short lived. 

Based on what I’ve read in the forum, many of the welders working on the rigs are contractors. As such, they are responsible for their own equipment, electrodes, welding procedures, etc.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By FarmCode (*) Date 04-19-2012 14:39
Loosey Goosey!   Right up my alley

Tank U Al  4 givin evry body an answer.

I don't no the secret hand shake yet.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-19-2012 19:09
Hahaha!! You pretty much said it Al! In my years working with the gas companies and other contractors welding gas pipe and other things the only person who knows how to handle the rods is me! Always new cans, never something that's been kickin around in the shop. I start talking about lo-hi and moisture and most guys get this haze over their eyes and then it occurs to me and my little voice sounds off in my head saying, "this guy has no friggin' clue what your talking about". I broke out the other day using the companies new Miller and the guy said, "will your procedures let you use our machine?". They're new to this so that's understandable but hear things like that all the time. Another guy said are you qualified to use 6P+, sure am, procedures say, "6010" and a 6P+ is still a 6010.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-19-2012 19:23
I don't claim to be an expert, but when I meet someone in charge of a project that knows less than I do, I get nervous, very nervous.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-19-2012 19:35
Hahaha!! The story of my life Al!! Story of my life!! Three months on a chiller job and guy could fit pipe in a straight line great, after that it was all over! Most of the guys I do gas stuff with really know a lot about the pipe, meters, trenching, it's just the whole welding portion that everybody is not familiar with.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-19-2012 19:40
I refuse to answer. I am afraid someone will be offended.
Parent - - By FarmCode (*) Date 04-19-2012 20:14
"afraid someone will be offended. "

Ur acct git Haked?

Impossster!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-19-2012 20:36
Oh Boy....

FarmCode...Rusty McSlagbuster....misdirecting inspectors....

pot calling the kettle black when calling Cactus an "impossster". 

Very interesting.  Something more than a little slaggy going on here.

Have a Great Day,  Brent

PS: NO!!  No 'WELCOME' at this point.  I'm not sure you are.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 04-19-2012 21:52
There's a wide, wide variety of work in API land.
The local distribution gas companies do a lot of things that are flakey and operate under a slightly modified version of the Farm Code, and their standards are low across the country with a (very) few exceptions.
In mainline construction there is always a large amount of regulation that goes above and beyond anything API has in print.
I don't work in the tank or drill rig field so won't comment there.
But it helps to keep in mind that the scope of work that primarily falls under API is deep and broad and you can find fields where qualification, inspection and testing are very lax, like distribution work. You can also find fields where those things are strict and set in stone. You'll also see a lot of ASME requirements in transmission line work.
The bottom line is that the owner sets the standard, given that they have to comply with federal dot pipeline safety standards as a minimum (on interstate work). They always in my experience go far beyond those min. requirements. Usually due to the grade of pipe and the pressures involved.
With the recent trend to use operating pressure higher than that traditionally used in the past has put additional qualification/inspection/testing in place.

So, you can find a job that's technically in API land where 7018 rods rattle around in a rod bucket with 2" of water in the bottom but you can also find a API job where the welders using 9018 have a rod oven on the truck and a small generator to run it 24 hrs/day and inspection checks the over temp daily.

The bottom line is that I don't see a lot of distribution work exploding (cept in CA), a lot of drill rigs collapsing, a lot of tank failures and few if any modern transmission line failures (outside of stations but that's another topic) so evidently the standards used in those fields are at least close to being sufficient for the purpose at hand.

J
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 04-20-2012 12:37
Catus, That never bothered you in the past.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 05-01-2012 22:31
That was before the Preachers got their undergarments in a knot. However, since I Primarily do API work on Drill Rigs and I have a Phd. Engineer who is an API Instuctor as a partner, I feel I am MORE than qualified to answer the question at hand.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 04-19-2012 23:28
He is talking about welding on drilling rigs, not pipelines.
API 4F 3rd edition
References AWS D1.1
Start Reading Section 10
http://www.scribd.com/doc/53542987/API-4f-3rd-Edition
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 04-20-2012 02:55 Edited 04-20-2012 03:00
I understand that.
My point is there are a lot of things under API and the requirements, and their enforcement vary greatly.

But it seems to be working OK as things don't seem to be blowing up.
Maybe that's clearer.

J

I'll add that other posters went into API in general, and I responded to that. People who work in AWS or ASME usually missunderstand how things are actually done in the field in API covered work. They seem to think that for instance, that 1104 is the only requirement to be met and aren't familiar with what owners actually impose.
Parent - By KFab (**) Date 05-01-2012 18:16
hi .. im currently studying my 570 and api 510,  These are basically a set of instructions for the inspector to apply to the items being inspected, i would think a structural aws inspector would inspect to d1.1 with exception of some of the pressure vessel or piping, and in my understanding most codes (piping) reflect back on b31.3 process pipe sense its new construction but, then again EVERYTHING is at the COMPANYS discretion.
     If they want your welding test to compose of a juggling 3 flaming bowling ball pins while jumping up and down naked.. then thats the test.   as for rod ovens and rods,the contractor in a refinery wants to make sure u are using 7018 and you have an oven they will mandate that when u get hired and in most case they will supply.  But there can be no confusion to what is -none conformance- when welding HF acid or high pressure lines that could have a huge environmental and safety impact if done incorrectly.  Now welding on a rig i know we take short cuts some times and i doubt most rig yards have api inspectors but surly any good or competent Contractor will give a welding test  and may have a cwi  but anyways.  ITS basically up to the OWNER/USER they set all the rules.    I dont see anywhere in api 570 or 510 that covers welding rod condition, they just state what kind of rods you can use for which metal groups.  

hope that answers helps a little
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / API question