Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / cwi training
- - By amndtccs Date 03-08-2009 06:07
I am locking for good trainer for CWI in Michigan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-08-2009 13:57
The connection you need can be found at your local AWS section meetings.
Parent - By amndtccs Date 03-09-2009 05:54
Thanks to u
- - By rohit k (*) Date 08-03-2011 10:02
i have completed engineering 3 years back.
But i have been working in a company as part time when i was in final year of college.
Now i am working in the company for full time.
can i do aws cwi?
I have 3 years of experience(including 1 year part time)
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 08-03-2011 10:56
rohit k

First welcome to the American Welding Society Online Forum.

You know more about the experience and or training than we so read the pdf's from the links below and you will have answered your question.

http://www.aws.org/certification/docs/QC1-2007.pdf

http://www.aws.org/certification/docs/b5.1-2003-errata.pdf

Again Welcome to the Forum

Marshall
Parent - - By rohit k (*) Date 08-03-2011 11:36
i have completed engineering 2 years back.
But i have been working in a company as part time when i was in final year of college.
Now i am working in the company for full time.
can i do aws cwi?
I have 3 years of experience(including 1 year part time)
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-03-2011 12:45 Edited 08-03-2011 12:48
rohit k

You need a combined experience / education total of five years.  Work experience during training does not count as additional experience time wise.

Reference AWS B 5.1, 2003, Specification for the Qualification of Welding Inspectors, Section 5.2.

You must evaluate your total engineering eduction and additional work experience in more detail per Section 5.2.  The information you have given does not appear to be adequate for proper evaluation.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By rohit k (*) Date 08-03-2011 14:23
i have finished engineering which is a 4 year course and  2 years experience after engineering

can i appear for aws cwi now???
Parent - - By rohit k (*) Date 08-03-2011 14:28
http://www.aws.org/w/a/certification/CWI/

here it is mentioned that work experience of 3 years is necessary for a engineering graduate...
Parent - - By rohit k (*) Date 08-03-2011 14:41
it said that i must possess 5 years of experience in which 2 years can be substituted for my degree in engineering.

i have 1 year part time work experience when i did my degree final year
and 2 year full time work experience after my degree.

so it must be 2+2  or  3+2???

please help me friends

thanks in advance
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 08-03-2011 15:50
rohit k
5 years experience 2of which is satisfied by your engineering degree so you need verifiable documentation of 3 years actual on-hands work experience.
Part time work while doing degree doesn't count as mentioned earlier

Marshall
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-03-2011 20:48 Edited 08-03-2011 20:50
To: rohit k

WACCOBIRD gave you the valid answer!

Your education only counts for two years - PERIOD.  The Link to AWS B 5.1 was put up here by WACCOBIRD.  Open it up and read Section 5.5!

If your simultaneous work experience occurred as part of your education curriculum (I.E. Internship), you cannot count that time as "Work Experience".  If you worked after school, or during the Summer in a welding environment, then, you could count that time as work experience even though it was concurrent with education time.

Also, your "Engineering" curriculum studies have to touch on subject items found in AWS B5.1 Table 1, to be valid. So, if you were in Electrical Engineering, you might not be able to even use that education time.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By rohit k (*) Date 08-04-2011 11:38
i did mechanical engineering friends

i am happy that i can write now
Parent - By RAFIQ ALAM Date 08-13-2011 22:08
I am advising to my friend to take an CWI corse in SAUDIA ARIBIA please advise me how can
THANKYOU
RAFIQ ALAM
- By Ludovico De Paz Date 03-26-2012 14:03
Good Day..
I am a Boiler maker/welder presently and as well as a Welder fabricator and Welder fitter for almost 7 years in all. I want to inquire if I am qualified to trained or to take the seminar for Welder Inspector. Do you have any accredited school here in Australia preferably in Perth.

Hope for your immediate response..

Thanks and God Bless
- - By patrickafm186 Date 05-04-2012 20:32
hello . i have been a welder / fabricator for 27 years . i got some books to train for the cwi exam . i feel good in all the categories except the code book. the only way i found to learn how to navigate the code book is thru the seminar week before the exam, i cant afford the seminar as of now . my question is ...is there any way or other book to get to be able to learn how to navigate the code book ,or is there anyone that would like to mentor me . the exam is in august and i need someone who will help me please.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-04-2012 21:11
There is no reason you cannot "home study", that is study the materials at home on your own. There is no requirement that says you have to attend classroom training provided by AWS or any other organization.

As for the open book code section of the examination, it is a matter of reading the applicable code to become familiar with the information contained, how the information is organized, and how to navigate the code book. You are not required to memorize the code. You are simply have to know how to find answers to specific questions.

There are many people that have studied for the examinations on their own. I'm one of them.

There are training materials available from AWS. Look on line.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-04-2012 21:55
I agree with 803056 and am also "home schooled".
This forum is what I used for my CWI exam.
Dig through the ASME and or D1 forums. Seek out the questions and then find the answers yourself. Only after diligent research should you return to the thread and verify or get help to find the answer.
Granted, your first few attempts will most likely get you back on the forum, but as you gain familiarity and experience with the code(s) of your choice, it will become easier. Eventually, you will find yourself providing answers to future posts. That would be totally cool, right?

That is my "poor man's" approach.
As I've said before, the seminar is not going to give you a Brain Transplant. It should at best be a review and last minute study guide.
Option 2 is to go to work as a Trainee/Tech with a company that will provide you with OJT and sponsor you for the seminar.
Study hard and good luck to you.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-05-2012 02:18 Edited 07-08-2012 20:15
I like your approach.

Over the course of several days there are always questions asking what the code has to say about this or that. The question is asked for any number of reasons, but in the end it takes simple leg work to look up the answer in the applicable code. That's the best way to learn how to use a code; find the answers to specific questions.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-05-2012 05:16
My take on it is this...
You should be willing to do the leg work to train your self so that you will be willing to do the leg work necessary to perform in the commission of your assigned duties.
If I may possibly misquote my literary hero Richard Marcinco (whose work deserves the same recognition as Tsun Soo "The Art of War")...
"He who sweats most in training, bleeds less in battle."
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-05-2012 13:58
Very good replies from Al and Superflux.

I concur with their suggestions.  While I did self study, I also took the week long seminar and was extremely glad I did.  Would I have passed without it, maybe.  But I did well enough to not have 'squeeked' by.  And I learned a lot more than I had learned on my own.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-05-2012 15:27
This is a good thread Brent.

I think I prolly studied with "some" dicipline for 18 months before I sat for the CWI exam.  Because my employer was willing to send me to the seminar, I went...  One of the best professional experiences in my life... Lots of learning and lots of contacts made.

I was pretty confident before the seminar... Felt even better after it..  But I did *not* get anything close to a perfect score on that exam even with alll the groundwork laid in ahead of time.

Self study is perfectly valid... The only thing I would suggest is that the student/learner be VERY diciplined about study and have a strong grasp about how comprehensive that exam actually is.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-05-2012 23:59
And, as I have said many times before on this forum and this topic, Get all the books.  EVEN THE ONES THAT COME "FREE" at the seminar because they are included in the cost and are part of the week long seminar.  For self study this is a must.  But I highly recommend it for PRE-study even if taking the seminar.  If you have already studied the WIT book as well as all the other recommended study materials (a list of which can be found on the paperwork for the application for the seminar and exam) then you will be able to spend more time studying the Code book during the exam week. 

I know, I am mixing self study and seminar studiers (a word?) but the point is, you can't be TOO prepared for this exam.  And the more you learn before you become a CWI the faster you will learn how to apply all that knowledge when you get a job as a CWI.  It won't be as quickly forgotten as if you only studied the week of the exam and then crash and put all the books away.  To my wife's dismay, I LIVE in those books.  It is my life now.  And knowing what I am doing is critical.  NO, I don't try to memorize the Codes.  But the more time you spend in them the easier you can find things when an issue arises. 

And Lawrence, I did not get anywhere close to a perfect score either.  But being half way between failure and perfect on all three parts was a lot more comfortable than passing with a score in the low 70's.  I felt much more assured that I knew the material.  Of course, I tend to be a perfectionist and don't like failure.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 05-07-2012 15:28
+1
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 05-07-2012 15:29
You will need to purchase your own copy of whatever code you decide to test under, so you might as well buy it now and start using it. There is no other way to do it. There is no other book that will make it any easier. It's just a matter of getting to know the code well enough to be able to look up information in a timely manner. When I took my CWI exam, this is the section that I scored the highest. I mean, it's open book, how hard can it be?!
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 05-07-2012 16:19
Hello;
I am not sure about the other codes or standards, but API 1104 has a study guide. I used it at least 10 times over 6 months or so to become familiar with it.

Best of luck;
Matt
Parent - By patrickafm186 Date 05-09-2012 23:09
ok guys i might not have been clear enough when i asked my question,,,i do have most the books needed for the course including the d1.1 code steel...i am familiar with the code book it self but it is very confusing even though theres only 8 chapters and 8 clause chapters .i am doing the leg work please dont think im trying to get a ride or anything . i have been studying for at least a year now .i have been told that the code part of the test was the most important and that i had to do it fast so i tried to purchase the code work book but it is only offered at the seminar. ive been working very hard at this fellas, but im worried about the code part . ive looked up a few things in there for work and it sent me to at least 3 different places so in other words im either doing it wrong or i just need to keep looking stuff up like you guys suggested . ty very much for the input guys and ill be seein you!
- By joe pirie (***) Date 07-08-2012 02:45
save your 2000 study on your own. i know at least a dozen cwi who took the aws seminar
and failed miserably. ive heard thje hobart school is better. i studied  at home had no problem
passing. get the wit book read it practice tests read it again and again iis about the only book i studied
also get the aws weld symbol book. know basic math  convert dec to fract inches.  i cant believe
the number of people ive met who failed the open book code test. if you take the test withapi 1104
its only 84 pages.  i never even opened the book prior to the test . aws just wants your money.
some community colleges offfer cwi training for a fraction of the aws seminar that has a70 % fail rate
ive helpefd several other welders become cwi and i have a 100% pass rate first try for all i personally feel the test
should be much harder and encompass a broader range of material.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-08-2012 21:06 Edited 07-09-2012 02:43
Few individuals have the back ground required to take the CWI examination "cold turkey". Most people need to prepare for the CWI seminar offered by AWS. The AWS seminar is not intended to take a novice with little to no back ground in welding to the expert level in one week. The AWS seminar is a review of those subjects the candidate needs to be familiar with in order to pass the test.

I have always suggested that a person interested in becoming a CWI home study before taking the CWI seminar. It is difficult to master the broad range of subjects that are included on the CWI examinations in the limited time frame of five or six days.

I used to make it a practice to attend a CWI seminar about every five years just to brush up on all the subjects we are supposed to be familiar with. I found that each instructor had a wealth of experience that he integrated with the course material making the presentations more interesting and informative. I never left a seminar without learning something new or something I had forgotten.

I have been involved in preparing people for the CWI examination for many years. The Connecticut Section used to offer a series of one day weekend sessions covering each of the main topics on the examinations. It took a couple of months to complete the series, but it gave the attendees plenty of time to absorb the information.  Boston likewise used to offer training sessions for their members. I am sure other sections did the same for their membership.

As someone sitting in the classroom, it was pretty evident by the second or third day who stood a good chance of passing the CWI examinations and those that had little chance of passing. The people interested in studying were sitting toward the front of the classroom where they could hear and see the instructor. They did the assignments and were prepared for the day’s lessons.

Those people with less interest were sitting in the back of the room. They were the last to arrive in the morning, last to arrive after lunch, and rarely had their assignments completed for the next class. They were the individuals reading the newspaper before class.

I have sat in the classroom and watched individuals play games on their laptop and in one case the individual was trading stocks rather than listening to what was being said in class. Then Friday afternoon the stock trader had the gall to ask the instructor for extra help because he was falling behind.

The people that prepare for the AWS seminar in advance are in the best position to gain the most benefit from the seminar. Those that do not prepare before attending the seminar are often overwhelmed by the flood of information presented by the instructor.

The instructors cannot study the material for those planning to take the examinations. Studying for the CWI examination is an individual effort. Group study is of limited benefit if the individual does not do the assigned reading and complete practice questions beforehand.

The CWI examination is an English comprehension examination. Can the individual read the question and understand what is being asked? It is an examination that assesses the individual’s familiarity with terminology and to a limited extent, logic. An individual with a limited mastery of English or poor reading skills is going to struggle with the CWI examination.

The bottom line is that anyone that is serious about passing the CWI examination has to prepare for the examination. The more one prepares, the better the chances are of passing. Whether one studies at home or attends the seminar is an individual decision. The bottom line is that five or six days sitting in the classroom with an instructor is no guarantee one will pass the examinations. The secret is no secret; study, study, and more study is the way to pass the CWI.

Best regards – Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-09-2012 00:26
I agree with Al.  While one may pass as Joe has suggested I find it unwise to recommend others save their money and ONLY do self/home study.

I have often been a supporter of attendance at the seminars.  It offers new aspects of understanding and cannot but help one's odds of passing the exams. 

It is also an avenue of networking and gives opportunities to learn many aspects of inspections that so many have no idea of.

Amen Al.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-19-2012 04:04
Knowing how to read, cross reference, and comprehend information is paramount......a CWI prep course can't "teach" those skills!
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / cwi training