Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / SCWI Exam Preparation
- - By TimGary (****) Date 06-21-2012 23:57
I'm going to take the SCWI exam in New Orleans next month and am studying the recommended materials.
I've also searched info from past posts here on the forum.
I've read that a lot of the exam is based on:

B2.1, specifically procedure qualification info
D10.4, specifically heat treat info
ISO 9000 Quality System requirements
Advanced NDT methods such as AET and HDT
B4.0
VT requirements
Heat Input calculations (don't forget to bring a calculator!)
Basic components of a borescope

Some of the info provided was about the need for and upcoming changes in the exam, and to not be afraid to challenge erroneous questions and answers.

Any fresh or additional advice on how to best focus study time / materials would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration,
Tim Gary
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-22-2012 13:37
Got got it all.

Study, study, study.

Good luck - Al
Parent - By PWCameron (**) Date 06-22-2012 17:59
Good List. Good luck
PWC
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 07-16-2012 17:50
Just want to say thanks to all that have posted info about the SCWI exam.
The info I learned on this site was very helpful.

Here's some feedback about the exam:

The code book test was mostly based on B2.1, with a few additional questions from each B4.0, QC1, SNT-TC-1A and general ISO quality system requirements.
They gave example scenarios of a paticular PQR parameters and asked several questions based on each scenario.
The questions were typical, What F number, what thickness ranges qualified, etc.
The scenarios themselves were off the wall examples that ensured you had to use all the table notes and alternative requirements, the kind of things that are often open to interpretation.
The saving grace was that there were only 46? questions, which allowed semi-adequate time for flipping through the books to find answers.

The fundamentals test was a humdinger. There were questions from all related topics.
Several questions about each, VT, PT, MT, UT, ET and RT.
Few questions about AET, HDT and Helium leak testing.
Several questions about Austenitic SS, D10.4 based.
I spent too much time looking up answers in the books, for accuracy, and had to rush through the last 10 or 15 questions to finish on time. (134? total questions)
I intended to challenge 5 of the questions, because they were hogwash and BS, but I didn't have time to do so.

This advice was good, but I spent too much study time on AET, HDT and B4.0, and not enough time on B2.1 and the Guide for Non Destructive Testing.
Those with a better NDT background than I would not have as much trouble as I did with the fundamentals.

All in all, I'm cautiously optimstic that I passed, but most likely cut it close, one way or the other.
Now I've just got to wait and chew fingernails until I get the results sometime within the next 6 weeks...

Tim Gary
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-16-2012 19:20
Well, good luck Tim.

Don't expect me to keep my fingers crossed that long for you though... LOL.

Hopefully you will get a letter of congrats within the next two weeks and then will only have to wait for the stamp, paperwork, and certificate.  They do seem to be getting faster about letting people know if they passed. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 07-16-2012 19:58
I hope so.
It took 3 months to get my CWI results...

Tim
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 07-17-2012 01:50
Got mine in 7 business days.
Parent - By PFI (**) Date 07-19-2012 20:25
Tim,

As a person that is considering taking the SCWI exam I really enjoyed your write up, If there is one thing i'm disappointed about with the information on the SCWI exam is it's minimal at best and as a self employed CWI it's hard to plunk down that much money for the exam and not have the best feeling your completely prepared.

Thank you again!
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 07-27-2012 17:52
Just found out that I passed!
Whew! I was sweating that one.

Thanks again to all who contributed advice as I never would have passed without it.

Tim Gary
AWS SCWI    :grin:
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-27-2012 19:24
Congrats Tim!   I had no doubts here that you would pass.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-27-2012 20:08
Congrats Tim!!! 

Now we'll have to call you 'Senior Tim'.  OOOHHHH, that makes you sound OLD.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-27-2012 20:30
Congratulations Tim!!

jrw159
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 07-30-2012 20:36 Edited 07-30-2012 20:44
Congratulations Tim.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-27-2012 19:52
Good show Tim. Congratulations.

Al
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 07-28-2012 02:57
Congratulations Tim:grin:
Parent - By S. WINAI (**) Date 07-28-2012 05:40
congratulations Tim Gary,:cool:
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / SCWI Exam Preparation