Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / CWI API 1104
- - By allansitu84516 Date 08-20-2012 18:52
hi i am a NDT inspector taking my CWI exam this October. i am testing to API 1104. i have never welded before, inspection is what i do. i have only been studying for about 2 weeks on only one book" CERTIFICATION MANUAL FOR WELDING INSPECTORS fourth edition" from AWS. i also just ordered the 1104 codebook which will come in a couple weeks so i can study that one too. anybody has any input and suggestions? i especially want to know what other books i should be getting to study on the practical part of the exam. thanks
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-20-2012 19:47
Welcome to the forum!

Codebook navigation (I don't like the term interpretation) is key to this exam.

I would not suggest sitting for this test unless you are deeply familliar with codebook navigation, welding process basics and inspection process basics.

The body of knowledge suggested by the AWS is comprehensive and mastering the certification manual is a good start.

This is a hard test (in my opinion) and being less than fully prepared may end in frustration and unnecessary expense.

Now you are currently an inspector and that may be a benefit... But if you are not well grounded and confident in these other things as well as all the welding related inspection tools, it may be wise to postpone sitting for the exam until you are more ready.

Said respectfully by somebody what wants you to sucseed.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-20-2012 23:27
Allen,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

While I largely concur with Lawrence, many have passed the exam with little self study beforehand.  BUT, many NDT inspectors have failed the exam because there was just too much they didn't know.  And one week at the seminar is not much time for a crash course in Welding.

I know you will receive some of them with the cost of the seminar week, which I highly recommend everyone take prior to taking the exam, I recommend getting the WIT book as well as the study book that goes with it.  That will really help you prepare for the seminar week and the General Knowledge part of the exam. 

Next, Study, Study, and Study some more.  Go through the WIT book as many times as possible. Get to know the API 1104 Codebook thouroughly.  Make it your new best friend.

You haven't given yourself much time.  Lawrence offers some good advice, postpone your exam if possible.  Take it later.  But, if you must, make sure you get lots of personal quiet time.  Tell the family good night and go study for 3-4 hours.  Several nights per week if not every night. 

Good luck.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / CWI API 1104