Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Guidance Please?
- - By Tex (**) Date 08-21-2012 02:30
Im gonna bite the bullet. After being in the welding game for 20 years and just now healing up from a broke back that happened on the job in 09, I am ready for the next step. Been planning on becoming a CWI for a while and have been checking into it.

What do I need to know going into it.
How long do I need to study before the seminay? (I WILL be taking the class)
Tried talking to CWI's around here, but they dont seem to wanna share info.

As I said earlier, I have been welding professionally for 20 years. Heavy industrial, mining, shipyards, oilpatch and pipelines. The last several years has been mostly in the patch and on pipe and will be where I will probably stay.

Thanks
Tex
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 08-21-2012 06:12
Hi Tex, now I can't really answer your question directly as I'm from the UK and we tend to do thing a bit different over here! But,I will offer my advice and that is to take as much training and advice as you can!
I'm sure with your background, you will not have too much trouble with the CWI exam, but it pay's to be prepared! 
Good luck!
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-21-2012 12:32
Tex,
  Do a search for "CWI training" "CWI" and such. There is an abundance of information already posted in the forum.

Here is a good one to start with.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=143150

jrw159
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 08-21-2012 18:22
Tex,
The AWS Certified Welding Inspector seminar is money well spent, and they will go over pretty much everything on the exam, some of it word for word. Don't worry too much about studying beforehand, the only thing I wished I had read up on before going to the seminar was general knowledge stuff in welding processes that I wasn't already familiar with. Your twenty years experience will help immensely. I definitely recommend doing the API 1104 code (this is what I did) since you seem to have pipe experience, and it doesn't hurt that it is, by far, the smallest code book. If I remember correctly, I had only 60 questions on my code section of the exam, and the guys doing the D1.1 code had like 150 questions. Maybe study a little basic metallurgy, read up on the latest welding terminology and acronyms, and don't get too stressed out, it's really not that difficult if you have good retention skills.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 08-21-2012 19:52
Tex,

For me, the hardest part of the test was weld symbols. And my score reflected it too.
They will confuse me until the day I get outta this business. There are a lot of nuances that just never soaked into my tiny brain.
The rest of it all seemed pretty straight forward.
Everyone is different and you'll never really know what (if any) will be your problem area until after the test is over.

Everyones background and education is different, and I would recommend a serious study program. I may have passed without it, but I didn't have the time or money to get the "brain transplant" er, I mean to take the seminar.
Good luck to you.

BTW, you still up there in Wy.?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-21-2012 19:46
I've been trying to mind my P's and Q's lately but this one is important.

The advice  "not to worry to much about studying before the test"  is stupid and foolish.  Just no other way to put it.

The failure rate for first time CWI test takers is well above 50%  This includes professional engineers and assorted college grads as well as people with VAST amounts of experience.

This is not a test to sleep on. 

Mr. Retention may have done just fine by sucking up what the seminar has to offer alone... Most people don't. 

If you are not a person who is deeply immersed in welding and inspection code, you need to get that way BEFORE sitting for the test.  

I do agree that a guy like you is a great candidate!

I would suggest a 1 year plan of study, with a capstone of the week long seminar before you sit for the exam.
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 08-22-2012 18:28
Hmmm...how to address being called stupid and foolish....I just seem to bring out the best in people on this forum (just look at the response I got to my first post on this forum, from Waccobird). Sorry, but I just didn't find the exam that difficult. I worked as a pipefitter-welder for 30 years, with a little structural and pressure vessel work thrown in for good measure. Paid my $1800 for the seminar, did no studying beforehand, and passed with an average of 88%. I mean, come on, the seminar went over everything that was on that exam, literally word for word on some of it. Maybe it was just that I got lucky and got a great instructor (Mr. Bohnart himself!), but I really cannnot imagine anybody thinking they would need to study for a freaking year! This ain't rocket science, people.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2012 19:33
It might be, if you were hired to inspect to D17.1.  Besides, even if that escapes some people, this is a public safety job.  Once someone passes the exam, I would think they would WANT to know a whole lot more than just how to pass the exam with a decent score.  I see lots of applications to D1.1 that aren't covered in the seminar and exam, especially if you have to add D1.8, D1.3, and D1.4 to the job.  Not to mention AISC and AISC Seismic Supplement. 

No, you don't have to study those to pass the exam.  But why would anyone just do the minimum required to pass when the public's safety is at stake? 

And, quite frankly, not that many people taking the exam have the background you had when you went in.  Many who claim to have worked to codes for enough years to qualify to take the exam have seldom looked at the blueprints, never seen a WPS, don't even know what they are certified in, and wouldn't know a codebook if it were laying on the pipe in front of them.  Praise the Lord there are more schools and employers beginning to train their people in these things.  But I'll bet everyone of us could list a great many welders we know who haven't got a clue.  They have just always done it that way because that's how they were taught 30 years ago and/or that's how the foreman tells them to do it. 

And, I would agree, you had a very good instructor.  Probably made some things clear and obvious that you wondered about before you took the seminar.  At that point, many other things start making sense as well.  At least it did for me.  Once my instructor cleared a couple of things up in Metallurgy several other things just fell into place. 

You are obviously a well trained person.  Not all applicants have that background.  So, many of us here do our best to give them the best possible advice on how to be prepared for an exam that sinks many the first time through. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 08-23-2012 19:04
Brent,

Yes, yes, yes! Thank you for your professionally stated insights and opinions. I wholeheartedly agree with everything you just said. I know my approach to the exam preparation wouldn't have worked for everyone, maybe not for anyone, but it worked for me. I guess I did take it a little lightly, but yeah, 30 years in the welding industry does teach you a lot and to tell you the truth there wasn't a whole lot on the exam that I didn't know at one time or another. Don't get me wrong, there were many, many learning moments, and many times during the seminar that I thought, wow, so that's why I've had to do that for all those years! It was a very positive experience and it was just what I needed to go along with the knowledge that I already had.

I also completely agree that our profession involves the safety of others, and would never presume to perform inspections on something that I wasn't comfortable with. That being said, just because you take the exam on a certain code, that does not make you an expert in that code and certainly does not mean that you can only perform inspections to that code. I am continually studying the various welding codes and increasing my knowledge base. Being a constant reader of this forum has been an excellent way to sharpen my understanding. We never stop learning, right? Nearly all of my CWI inspections so far have pertained to AWS D1.1, D1.3, D1.4, D1.5, and ASTM A488. Haven't performed a single inspection to API 1104, go figure.

I will definitely be more cautious in my advice to others and will strive to remember that everyone has a different set of skills and experience to draw from. So go ahead and study for a year if it makes you more confident, people.

As for you, Mr. Lawrence, your crass remarks are not appreciated. You embarrass yourself and others with your unprofessional verbal jabs. If we were in the playground, why I'd...
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-24-2012 16:17
\
Ok WeldinFool,  I think your right.

No excuse for being snotty...

I apologize for the cruel words, and I will not use that kind of language with you again.

I do have the ability to disagree strongly and be polite at the same time... I'll do that next time.

I won't delete my post/s so everybody will know I've learned my lesson.

I hope you will consider accepting my apology.

Lar
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 08-24-2012 18:07
WeldinFool

Your Statement

I had only 60 questions on my code section of the exam, and the guys doing the D1.1 code had like 150 questions.

Is misleading

You may have had 60 questions on your Code test for API open book but the D1.1 Code test didn't have a 150 questions.

Part A: Fundamentals.
Closed-book test; 150 questions.

Part B: Practical Applications.
Hands-on test; 46 questions, using “Book of Specifications”.
(Use of toolkit for your exam provided by AWS.)

Part C: Open-Book Code Application.
Open-book test; number of questions can vary (46-60) on the code you previously selected — AWS D1.1; AWS D1.2; AWS D1.5; AWS D15.1; API 1104; ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Sections VIII and IX; or ASME Section IX, B31.1 and B31.3.

I will say when I took the D1.1 Open-Book Code it was 46 questions

Just saying

Information just thrown out there ain't worth anything if it is not correct.

Marshall
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 08-27-2012 18:23
Sorry for the bad information on the number of questions on the code section of the exam. I was just going by what I was told on my exam day by one of the D1.1 examinees. I now know they were either being sarcastic or misunderstood my question. I finished up my code section of the exam (API 1104) in just under 30 minutes, and noticed that when most of the D1.1 guys were coming out of the examination room they had used up most of their two hours, and this just reinforced, in my mind, that they must have had more questions than I did. Once again, I've given advice without knowing my facts...maybe we should start putting a disclaimer on our comments...?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-28-2012 15:00
People willing to acknowledge that they had wrong info, misunderstood the info, or just plain messed up can often be more important than disclaimers before we even find out we were wrong.  Thank you for your ability and willingness to acknowledge you had spoken in error.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-23-2012 03:29
Yep..  Suggesting somebody sit for the CWI exam with nothing more than a 1 week seminar on the basis that they have 20 years experience is stupid and foolish.

That's how I address stupid foolishness.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-21-2012 19:53
Tex,

You will get as many answers to your questions as there are people who respond to your query.  John gave you some good advice in doing a search on the forum for past threads on the topic.  Lots of past info here free for the using.  Just hit the 'Search' function button at the top of the page here. 

But, some brief info for your consideration.

How much YOU need to study depends not only on past experience but also on any other schooling in welding, your personal abilities to retain info and choose the best answer, your desire to know a lot about the trade you are involved in, your background in inspections/QC as well as hands on welding (blueprint reading, welding symbols, inspections tools and their correct usage, code application, etc), and much more.

Personally, I recommend all the study you can afford both in money and in time.  If you go to the AWS Website, Certifications, and go to the 'Body of Knowledge' there is a list of recommended self-study books.  I recommend getting the WIT book even though you will get one at the seminar for the cost of the seminar.  I also recommend the Welding Inspection Handbook and there is a study book that goes along with the WIT book.  Beyond that it is all up to you.

If you truly want to stay in pipeline related work then by all means study the API 1104 Codebook.  But don't let the size of D1.1 fool you.  It isn't that difficult if you know your way around in it.

Now, one bit of misinformation...According to QC1, the book that gives the guidelines for testing CWI candidates, the test breaks down into three parts this way...
1) Part A=Fundamentals- Closed book general knowledge:       150 questions (minimum, but pretty close);
2) Part B=Practical- Open bogus book and samples and tools:    46 questions (minimum, but pretty close); and
3) Part C=Codebook- Open book D1.1, 1.5, 1.6, 15.1, ASME:     46 questions (minimum, but pretty close).
It doesn't matter which code book you use, you will have right around 46-50 questions.

The Body of Knowledge section of the 'Certifications' page will give you a breakdown on the types of questions that will be on each part of the exam: safety, metallurgy, inspections, etc. so you can concentrate study on your weak areas.  Also, note how many questions will be in each of those areas, sometimes it isn't worth spending much time on as some may only have 1 or 2 questions.  Why try to get real familiar with a subject that may not have many questions?  Read and study all of it.  But really go after the areas where the questions are to be concentrated from. 

Good Luck, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 08-21-2012 20:33 Edited 08-21-2012 20:35
If I remember right, the last statistics I heard was, about 40% of the people taking the test with you are probably retesting because of a past failure.  Of the people taking the test with you 50% will fail the test.  For someone to say that the test is easy because of your experience is seriously mistaken.  Each section has a 2 hour time limit, so do the math, not a lot of time to search around for answers. 

I think Part A and B may have gone to 48 question each now.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-22-2012 11:38
The test/exam is broken up into three 2hr segments, 2hrs for each of the 3 topics with all of those questions as Brent stated in his post.
Parent - By trapdoor (**) Date 08-23-2012 05:27
If you buckle down and study 2-3 hours a day and 4 hours a day on the weekend for 3 months you would be in a very strong position when you took the seminar.  The week at the seminar would be a thorough review and a chance to clarify any concepts/material you didn’t "get" while studying on your own. I would also use the internet to find tips on how to "take" a multiple choice test, i.e. time management, skipping questions, reviewing answers etc., sometimes efficient test taking skills makes all the difference.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 09-03-2012 12:34
Tex,

I feel everyone should study ahead of time and I look at the seminar as a means for "fine tuning" the necessary information you need to pass the exam.  More than half of the folks in my seminar in 2003 were not prepared enough, and spent their evenings cramming.  (several dropped out the second day)  The seminar moves quickly, several chapters in the textbook each day.... and the huge amount of information presented only compounded the problem for the ones that were not prepared.  This year I heard the CWI passing rate is still around 50%, why go through the hassle of repeating the exam?

I studied with another inspector and we did one group study session each week for 6 months.  Check your private message mailbox.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-21-2012 21:16
Brent has the right break down for the number of questions on each test. API 1104 has 60 questions.

I recommend taking the open code book examination that correlates to the industry you expect to work in. It you want to work in the structural steel sector, take the D1.1 or D1.5 examinations. If you will be working in the railroad sector, take D15.1. If you want to work the oil patch, API 11 04 is the examination to take.

Remember one point; while AWS does not differentiate which open bode code exam was taken, your future employer might. As an employer considering two resumes from two different CWIs, all things equal, I will usually give preference to the CWI that took the test that correlates to the work I do. Why would I hire a CWI that passed API 1104 if the work involves structural steel? Why consider the CWI that passed the D1.1 if the work involves cross country pipelines?  

The endorsements are good additions to a resume because they indicate the individual has demonstrated proficiency in more than one welding standard. It is all about marketing one’s skills.

Best regards – Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-21-2012 23:27
Al,

Racking my pee brain to make sure, but don't I remember some exams on either code book or practical that were 64 questions?  I've been proctoring the exams for a while now and took D1.1 and then the 'Bolting' exam for myself.  I keep thinking I remember one that had a few more questions on it.

Bottom line for others reading this, the key word in QC1 is "minimum".  They can have a few more.  But you won't find 50 for one codebook and 150 for another one.  I'm looking to see if they have a statement as to a maximum number for each exam.  Haven't found it yet. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Tex (**) Date 08-22-2012 00:53
Since the work around here is varied and also hecause I dont want to limit my possibilities, I had planned on doing the API 1004 and the D1.1. If I read it right on the AWS site, they do the D1.1 seminar in the morning and the API 1104 in the afternoon. Denver is only a 4 1/2 hr drive down 25 from here, so Im planning on taking the class there sometime over tue winter. I sure dont want to go to Miami over the winter and do it. I wouldnt get any studying done.

I have read thru most of the old posts on here about this. Just wanted to get some sort of timeframe that I should study beforehand.

Thanks guys.
Tex
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2012 02:55
You will have to take the second as an 'Endorsement' exam at a later time.  You will have to take the standard three part exam first and pass all three.  Then you can add the other.  Your card that is sent to show your endorsement exam will display the original exam taken as well as the endorsement. 

Now, you may be able to take both parts of the seminar during the one week,  but I'm not sure how they will charge for that.  It means more materials and instruction time. 

Good idea though to add both to your qualifications.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2012 13:45
Just thought of this this morning after reading Al's response,  if you go to both the D1.1 and API 1104 sessions at the seminar you will greatly reduce the study time for the materials they give you to prep you for the exam.  It could be done, but I don't recommend it.  I'll confirm this, but am pretty sure you can take just the codebook prep class without retaking the WIT portion when you are ready to do the second exam.  Would be the same cost as I am sure they will charge you that way if you take both the same week.  But it would keep you focused on the exam at hand.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By TAC (*) Date 08-22-2012 14:34
I took both D1.1 and 1104 sessions at the seminar.  Glad I did, and feel that it was not a disadvantage.  In all honesty, it got me in the "testing" frame of mind a day earlier.

I think I signed up for the D1.1 bundle, and paid for the 1104 portion seperately.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-22-2012 03:21
The D1.1 seminar starts on Sunday afternoon and wraps up the following morning (Monday). API 1104 is covered Monday afternoon after lunch.

Al
Parent - - By P3T3R ST33L (*) Date 08-23-2012 09:23
I was told by a CWI that bare minimum you would want is the week of, but that meant constant study while not in the seminar. It was only advised to do it that way if you are one sharp cat. Everyone else states 1 to 2 months of study prior to the seminar. The only problem is you don't get your books until you are in class and nobody wants to loan thier precious and expensive books out. The most important discipline is during the tests. You have to basically say F the time li.it and focus on reading and understanding the questions otherwise you will get spun out and get them wrong. The test is a buffet of questions that are easy to get wrong if you don't thoroughly read and understand whats being asked for.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-23-2012 12:24 Edited 08-23-2012 12:29
That CWI gave you an accurate summation of the CWI seminar and how to prepare one's self mentally for the examination.

AWS has offered the CWI seminar for nearly thirty years. The success rate is pretty good compared to other "reviews" I have attended.

There is a presumption on the part of AWS that the individual attending the seminar has a solid back ground in welding. AWS B5.1 provides a listing of the related work experience needed to qualify for the CWI. The type of work that qualifies an individual to sit for the CWI is varied, but it also provides some insight about the subject matter the CWI candidate is expected to be familiar with. It would be wise for anyone interested in taking the CWI to review both B5.1 and QC1 to understand what they are getting themselves into and what subjects can be studied to prepare for the examinations.

My recommendation to anyone thinking about taking the CWI examinations is to read the Welding Handbooks. Every subject included in the examination is covered by the Welding Handbooks. The correct answer to every question on the CWI examination can be found in the Welding Handbooks. It is a sizeable investment to purchase the handbooks, but then again, the CWI is the one event in one's career that changes their life.

The amount of time necessary to prepare for the examination is dependent on one's back ground in welding. Few people have sufficient knowledge to pass the examination based on work related experience alone. Some individuals have a strong back ground in engineering and design, but they have no practical experience in welding and NDT. Others are already certified in one or two NDT methods, but they have little knowledge of design or welding.

Welders, well what can I say about welders? Talk to any welder and they can fix anything but the crack of dawn or a broken heart. They can redesign and work around anything designed by an engineer so that it will not fail again. A good welder can look at a weld and tell you if it is sound or not. Typically their welds will pass UT, RT, MT, or PT; unfortunately every other weld they see looks like dog excrement.  They can weld uphill, downhill, side to side, left handed, right handed, with a mirror ... you get the picture. Unfortunately, even the best of welders are not as well versed in all subject matters as they might believe. Terminology usually trips them up. The basic principles of metallurgy are black magic to many.

The bottom line is that the CWI covers a broad spectrum of subjects that come into play when an individual works as a CWI. The expectations are the CWI can function in many different capacities. The job entails more than looking at a completed weld and pronouncing it as good or bad.

I have attended many CWI programs over the years. I used to attend one every three to five years just to stay on top of my game. I never failed to learn something new or relearn something I had forgotten. Every instructor brings different experiences to the table and each presents the information in a different manner. It never ceased to amaze me when people in the class stated they had no back ground in welding before the seminar, but they are dumfounded when they don't pass the CWI examination.

The seminar requires total immersion in the books and exercises provided by the seminar. It requires self discipline to study the books when the television is sitting a mere four feet from the desk. It requires self discipline to dedicate the time and energy to read and work through the practice questions. It is no place to bring your wife and children. You are not going to have time for fine dining, long evenings at the neighborhood watering holes, or enjoying the local entertainment. It is not the place to send three or four workmates. Preparation for the CWI is something that requires an individual to spend time alone with the books. No one can study the material for you.

My advice is to prepare before attending the seminar. Purchase the Welding Handbooks (no minor investment, but they are something you will use as a reference during your career). Study the handbooks. Attend the seminar alone. Study the material alone for the first few evenings. Unplug the television and stay out of the hotel bar. Do all the homework assignments and do not allow yourself to fall behind. There is little time to recover once you do fall behind in your studies.

To anyone considering the CWI examination; you can pass it if you do the work. The CWI seminar is a review, not a training class. You need to prepare for the seminar so you can take full advantage of what it has to offer. If everything being covered in class is new information, you were not prepared for the class.

Best regards – Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-23-2012 12:53
Al, there are several questions about NDT methods that CWIs need to know a little about...I can't imagine that anyone armed with only the knowledge gained during the seminar could pass those questions without having some prior knowledge about the particular methods in question.
IIRC, there was a picture of a Ultrasonics scope with an indication on the screen, the question asked where this indication was in relation to the beam index point. If someone didn't know jack about how a UT machine worked, or have any knowlede of the math involved to calculate the location based off the info given on that screenshot, I can't imagine how they could answer that question correctly without venturing a wild guess. After all with most of those questions, you have a 20-25% chance (depending if there are 4 or 5 choices to choose from) of guessing the right answer, so maybe folks could just wing it without studying and make a passing grade.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-23-2012 13:56
Hello John;

I can't comment with any degree of certainty because I don't know the context of the question or what responses were listed for the question.

However, as a SWAG, I would hope the right response was relative to the sound path and it was "X" inches from the index point.

If the responses include answers such as: 
a)   "X" inches from the index point along the surface
b)   "X" inches below the surface,
etc.,

One would have to know the transducer angle and they would have to know trig functions to calculate surface distance or depth. I don't believe there is an expectation for the candidate to know trigonometry or how to calculate depth or surface distance. However, it is fair to expect the candidate to understand sound path distance and the difference between a straight beam transducer and an angle beam transducer.

I believe the NDT questions can be answered from B10.1 Guide to NDT of Welds. That being the case, the nature of the questions on NDT tend to be rather basic.

Maybe it is time I took the CWI examination again.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-23-2012 14:23
For the example that I was thinking about, the answers to choose from, were pictures of a groove weld with dimns and you had to match what was on the UT screenshot, and some of the answers were close but one was dead on. Not actually figure out how many inches from the BIP across the surface and how deep off the SP. I think there was also a straightbeam question very similar to this one. Several RT images where you had to choose the correct flaw description from the choices. MT picture of a yoke/weld and you had to pick which direction the indication/crack would likely be oriented based upon the orientation of the yoke to the weld. This was back 12 years or more ago, so I could have my test questions vs which exam all mixed up...because I've taken lots of tests/exams in the past 15 years regarding all of this.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-23-2012 14:40 Edited 08-23-2012 14:44
I remember similar questions, but they didn't use photographs back in the day. They used clay tablets and you had to use a chisel and hammer to mark the correct answers. You had to be very careful not to break the tablets when erasing an answer. It was a tough go when they only allowed 2 hours per examination.

Actually, that’s what happened to Moses’ tablets. They were not the Ten Commandments; they were his CWI answers sheets. He accidently broke them while changing his answers. He was sitting just a couple of seats to the left of me on exam day. I remember it as if it was yesterday.

You must be thinking of your last Level II test for SNT-TC-1A. I still get the shakes when I think of the ASNT ACCP Level III examination for UT. It was a four hour exercise with my calculator. I wore out the printed numbers on the keyboard.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-23-2012 14:53 Edited 08-23-2012 15:03
John and Al, when I took mine most of the questions about NDT were in the Part B and were simply pictures of one or two components of a particular process (MT: a yoke or a container of powder or a picture of a container of flourescent liquid with the name on it, etc) and you had to name rather it was UT, MT, PT, or RT.  Very simple with even minor reading of reference materials and I beleive even contained in the WIT book (I'll have to look at the newest edition and make sure).  Part C (Codebook) probably had a question or two from Clause 6 about NDT, I think they mainly involved RT.

Even at that, there were only a couple questions, if you have the rest of your ducks in a row it won't sink you.  And our seminar instructor actually took a few minutes and gave some quick info on the NDT arena that pretty well covered the questions asked.  It wasn't in depth by any means but was enough for a CWI to be able to say that, 'YES, they used MT when it was called for', or, 'NO, that's not a UT unit, what are you doing?'  We are not expected to be able to calculate the location of discontinuities, that's their job.  We just have to know they are using the correct equipment. 

And yes, it did ask about orientation of the crack as to the position of the yoke. 

With the bank of questions to draw from, someone may not even get such questions.  And no matter what, there weren't enough to sink anyone just because they weren't familiar with NDT.

Al, I really like your rundown of how to get prepared.  As a proctor at the exams I see it all the time.  Guys who come to town to vacation in AZ while taking their CWI.  Or they come from another state and spend the week with family here.  Besides added driving time they have too many distractions.  Not good.  I even advise local people to stay at the hotel and leave the wife at home for the week.  May cost more, but would you rather have to re-take the exam because you weren't prepared. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent

PS/edit: And I will say it again, I still advocate buying the WIT book & your code book at a minimum before the seminar to study.  Pass the extra WIT book off to someone else, especially a high school or college when done.  And you can never have too many copies of the code book.  (Though right now as a Sustaining Company member, Section Chairman with part of the Section Library, and my own copies of code books for doing inspections I'm beginning to wonder about that one, I'm putting together quite a duplicate library).
Parent - - By Tex (**) Date 08-26-2012 04:06
Al,
Thanks for the advice on preperation. I had already figuted out alot of that. My plans are to do this over the winter, and I hope to do it in Denver as that is just down the road. I have already told the wife that I want to go someplace boring so that I wont have any distractions or reason to leave the room and not study.

Brent, I also appteciate your input on this thread. Superflux has a place not far from me and was kind enough to offer me the use of his library while he is out of the country. Thankyou very much Superflux. I would be very interested though, Brent, in purchasing any duplicates you may have and wish to part with. Also, if you don't mind answering a few questions, shoot me a pm sometime so I can pick your brain on which books would be beneficial to aquire beforehand.

I feel as if I am a pretty good welder with a good head on my shoulders, but this is an all new endeavor for me. Al hit the nail on the head with his description of welders. I'm usually the guy scratching his head wondering why a college educated engineer could come up with such a screwed up design, or why an inspector does things he does. My age and bad back are now telling me to cross over to the darkside and become one of "THEM". LOL. This is something I have wanted to do for a long time, but I never felt like I had the required experience until now. My helpers Im getting these days are young enough to be my.kids and they say I look good for my age. I think Im ready.

To everyone who has responded and offered advice, I thank you and your input is appreciated. This is a big step for me and I am not taking it lightly as this is my future.

Thanks,
Tex
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-26-2012 13:07
I don't have many unneeded duplicates.  I distribute them around the state for 'Section Libraries' as with a section our size a single, centrally located library just doesn't meet the need.

And my oldest son is currently prepping for the exam as well.  I will look through my library though and see what I have and shoot you a pm.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Oneatatime (**) Date 09-01-2012 06:02
I took the test in March, I found myself quite happy i studied and i wasn't one of the people who just paid money and felt they were entitled to the CWI, I studied for a little over 4 months, i read anything i could get ahold of, i asked questions, i over studied, i learned things that were no where near as close to what is on the test, i am quite happy i understand the physics of the electron, it allows me to explain and understand things in more detail, I was quite happy i took a intro to NDT class and read the Handbook of Non Destructive Evaluation, there are questions about NDT, Im not a NDT tech, Im a welder, i made over 300 flash cards on various welding symbols, i made flash cards about any definition i couldn't remember or really have a freaking clue about, i learned the difference between groove and tensile orientation, i read and re read every book at least twice, The week of the test i drove an hour and a half each way, no mind you we stayed until 7-8 some nights and back at it in the morning, i rarely picked up a book during the week prep course when i got home, there was no time, i showered and slept, I found the WIT book to be invaluable and the sections on Metallurgy and Physical properties of metals i supplemented them with more materials, some of it was over what was on the test, but all in all i found it to be useful information today, What im saying is you can always learn more, calm down spend as much time as you can each night without burning yourself out, i don't recommend waiting and betting on the course to teach u everything, as always you will have someone who can't stay off the cell phone or has to go to the bathroom rite when the instructor is talking about something you have never heard about before. I stayed the night before the test eat myself fat, slept and woke up early eat breakfast and did a few prayers (personal preference for myself), So after the first test i had set a mood and was done in a little over an hour on the 150 question part, So i found out i knew enough to pass it with flying colors, when i was done with it, I knew i had passed that part, The next test was the code book, the problem occured when they said if you have anything wrote in your book we will kick you out of the test, ( different than what the aws paper work and the instructor said) so here we are erasing anything and everything in our books, threw me for a curve wasn't ready for this, 15 minutes into the test my hearts still pounding but im calming down and getting back into my groove, i missed 3. Part b was the portion that was the problem there was no way to study for it, i didn't know what to expect, ( heres the part the about the ndt and the various directions of tensile stress come into play ) So i had the question about the orientation of the crack, good deal had to do what the instructor said, only answer what the question asks, just cause its 1.375 wide and it says something about thickness but not width and it passes thickness does it break out, no, cause it only asked about thickness not is it 1.5 wide minimum, I had the most part with part b, my vwac was bent and was not correct by any means, the math was okay but i had one question i couldn't figure out for the life of me, i challenged it and went on, it was about a preheat, the thing about it nothing in part b had any of the same numbers in either C or F, so i just guessed and moved on until the end, after i finished i felt confident with everything but part b, little to my knowledge i passed and here we are today, Do your studying don't take it to be a joke and pursue your dream, the next thing, forget all the damn hype, i spent over 4000$ in books and seminar and gas and taking off work and every other thing to go do this, today i have a number and i plan to go do an endorsement possibly this March. BTW my typing skills suck, this is just my experience, good luck.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Guidance Please?