Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API 570
- - By Superflux (****) Date 08-21-2012 20:19
I just down loaded the API 570 Application today.
Found out they have a test site here in Kuwait in December and I have til the 19th of Sept. to get it submitted.
Just thought I'd toss out the buoy for any advice and study books/recommendations for any who have this cert.
Getting to be too many CWIs out there and I thought it might be a good way make me more marketable.
Can't have too many certs in the wallet.
Thanks in advance.

Funny how ever since the CPWI mud slinging fest (that I sorta poked the hornets nest on) posted in here came up... I'll be darned if I haven't seen a few ads online advertising for that.
I get stateside, might give ol' Wormellis a call and get me one of them too.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 08-21-2012 23:03
In the application there will be a body of knowledge for what is required.
http://new.api.org/certifications/icp/programs/upload/570_PublicationsEffectivitySheet_12-2011_6-2012_9-2012.pdf
These can be obtained from
http://www.ihs.com
There is a lot of material to study. Tf you have experience in inspection of piping systems you should not have probelms.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 08-22-2012 05:15
Thanks Big K,
Thanks for the IHS link. I also have ordered a study guide on 570 from Woodhead Publishing that was highly recommended by an engineer. Just now reopening up the app from API, it got lost in the hard drive in some unknown format. Love/hate these computers.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 08-22-2012 09:46
SuperFlux,
You probably won't be able to attend, nor am I suggesting that you need to, but here is the link to Mark Smiths training. There is other helpful info on there even if you stay in Kuwait until the test date.
I hope to take the seminar one day....then there will be too many API inspectors :grin:

http://www.msts-training.com

Every post that I have seen about him/seminar has been positive.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-22-2012 10:53
I too would recommend a training course. The body of knowledge is huge. Its just as important to understand what NOT to study as it is to know what to study. Seection IX alone would take months to properly grasp if you didn't have some guide to editing.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 08-22-2012 14:02
sws, j55,
I appreciate the advice and link.
The "what NOT to study" really hit home.
I plan to make the time for some qualified training prior to test day.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2012 14:59
Isn't that the truth.  I think all of us have experienced 'Oh I wish I had NOT spent so much time studying that'.  Wasted time in non essential study doesn't benefit one's abilities and only tends to clutter the brain with useless information.  While I don't mind knowing as much as possible and am always trying to learn new things, we are supposed to mainly know where and how to find the needed information, not clutter our minds with so many codes we start confusing them.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 08-22-2012 20:27
Copy that Brent.

Is it just me, a sign of my generation, or truly a royal pain to sift through electronic formatted code books instead simply of flipping pages!
I have also found Woodhead publishing has some study guides for API and they are on the way from my "secretary" back home.
Thanks to all of ya for the suggestions and help so far.
Really looking forward to the challenge of this new Feather for my Cap!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2012 21:03
I understand that one.  I too like the hard copy in my hand.  Seems to me like I can find things faster and easier.  I do like them on the computer if possible though for including quotes in reports. 

Same with blueprints.  I hate trying to bid big jobs from a computer.  By the time I get it large enough to read anything I have to pan all over the place to see everything.  Takes forever and is quite a frustration.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 08-23-2012 13:33
I prefer prints also. I'm no good bidding off of a computer. Sometimes I will hook the computer up to the big screen TV to bid and then I wish I was watching TV instead of bidding a job. Then I watch TV. Then I use the SWAG method to bid the job unless I can't find the calculator.:grin:
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 08-23-2012 15:06
Here is a web page for Mark Smith's training
http://www.msts-training.com/courses/guides.htm
Excellent resource.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 08-23-2012 18:25
Thank you kahuna, been reviewing his site today and trying to figure out a schedule around my unknown schedule. Sometimes this freelance, fly by night, no definite project end date can have its downside when trying to make plans.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-24-2012 19:03
For API 570 course study is advised.  I helped present an API 570 course in Melbourne, Australia and the course was 5 days long and jam packed.  I'd suggest spending LOT'S of time getting friendly with ASME B31.3 and most of the stuff referenced in it, it ain't a cake walk!
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 08-24-2012 20:01
jon20013,

Got some good reference materials downloaded and have set up a study time.
Back to school again. Just don't have Sister Octavia to whack me with a ruler. All though I could probably use the external discipline.
Thanks,
John
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API 570