Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Exam Part B advice
- - By Superflux (****) Date 09-21-2012 11:20
Once again, I am tasked with helping prepare some individuals for their upcoming CWI exam.
One person emailed me with the news that some of his fellow employees passed all but the Part B. Following is the Part B specific advice I sent to him. Let me know if I should add anything or have provided incorrect information. Just because I've taken it more times than FDR's been reelected does not necessarily make me an expert....
Thanks for any additional tips or comments.

As I most likely mentioned; Every one I have known personally and probably 80% of the 80% first-timers that fail the CWI exam do so on Part B. I think it is an excellent test to gauge how well the candidate is going to perform "in the field".
Good news for your fellow employees is that they only have to take Part B for the next go-around.

1) Remember, DO NOT assume anything. Look It UP!!! This is a Mock Code and has nothing to do with any actual bonafide code. Similar in some cases, but often amusing in it's tolerance of flaw size and quantity.
1a) It is different than the one provided for study with subtle changes to prevent those with good memories from memorizing it and thereby zipping though the test.
2) It is intentionally crafted to confuse and make you forget my advice in rule #1.
3) Interpretations are most likely going to be Borderline... almost but not quite judgement calls.
4) Learn how to use a fillet gauge. Do you really know HOW to Measure a fillet weld?
5) Do you know how to use a pair of calipers? Micrometers? I don't remember if the scale/ruler provided is in 10ths or fractions, but verify this prior to use.
5a) Do you floss regularly? Just checking to see if you actually are reading this.
6) Do you wear glasses? If so, make sure you have a New pair in the current prescription.
6a) If you use cheaters in the hood, then you need to bring a long a pair of Quality reading glasses.
7) And, if memory serves me correctly, there are a couple of English to Metric and vice versa conversions. Never mind, you will need to bone up on your basic math anyway for the other parts of the Exam.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-21-2012 13:08 Edited 09-21-2012 13:12
I'll chime in.

1. Don't use a micrometer when calipers will do
     1a.  Don't use calipers when a steel scale will do.
      1b. If the tollerence is 1/16  those are the incriments that are important. (don't overthink it)

If navigating via index
   1. Note tables and figures as well as text sections
       1.  Footnotes that can change your answer may be found          
            a.  In text
            b.  In tables
            c.  On a figure
            d.  Moral of the story..  If three pages are indexed.. It may be wise to take the time to view them all.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 09-21-2012 14:16
Thanks Lawrence, I'll add that. Very good approach.
Parent - - By PWCameron (**) Date 09-21-2012 20:12
Get your hands on the tools early.  Know how to use a fillet gage.  Only measure the smallest location.  Only measure the smallest leg (so look at both).  Hold the base of the gage flat against the plate.
Part B, App VII, (8) States: "Any single continuous fillet weld shall be permitted to underrun the nominal fillet weld size specified by 1/16 in [1.6 mm]."  So, when asked if Weld X's size is acceptable don't use the fillet gage = to the stated size of Weld X, use the gage 1/16th smaller, and if at any location it is under that, it is not acceptable.

When measuring porosity, only measure the diameter at the surface. Pay no attention to its depth (I know, but I had to say it).  Use the machinist rule graduated in 32nds.  If you're over 40, use the magnifying glass as well.  Just lay the rule along the pore and count how many 32nds (one pore 2/32 + one pore 1/32 + one pore 2/32 = 5/32) Keep It Simple!

If you've never used a Mic in your life, this is not the time to learn.
Clean and Zero the caliper between every measurement.
Check the V-Wac gage for accuracy.  Remember, it is graduated in 64ths.  Not 32nds like the scale next to it.  That can throw you off.  Check it against a known flat surface (Tensil bar).  If it is not Zeroed, don't try and fix it.  Just add/subtract that into your calculation.

I've been teaching these seminars for a couple years now and the main complaint I hear is that folks don't get enought time with the tools.  I suspect that is because most are just seeing the tools for the first time.  I could easily go 2 days on Part B.

Now what I do, is keep a full set of weld samples out along with an inspection kit for the whole week.  Then I encourage folks to get them in their hands and ask questions.

Don't let the Friday of the seminar be the first day you held a dial calipers/fillet gage/V-Wac/(insert your gage here).

PWC
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 09-26-2012 03:29
I took an assortment of mechanical pencils, 3mm, 5mm, 7mm,9mm or whatever size they came in to use as a go/no go gage to measure porosity.
Having the conversion chart from fractions, mm, decimals handy like on the back of a 6" G.A.L. Gage rule makes for quick conversions.
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 09-23-2012 20:00
Nice
Parent - By Oneatatime (**) Date 09-22-2012 17:01
Flossing is a very important part of daily life.
Check the gauges before use, my Vwac was over a 1/16th almost 3/32" off, so i had to add and subtract in 16"s on everything it was used for, be prepared ahead of time by thinking in 64ths"s. Dont wait until the day of the test to learn fractions.......
NDT......
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 09-23-2012 17:13
Part "B", the great equalizer, LOL
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 09-24-2012 05:27
[ Part "B", the great equalizer, ]
So true. It's like the reverse of last pocket 8 Ball. We used to call it "looser's catch-up"
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 09-25-2012 10:33
wear a watch to keep track of the time.  I don't think they allow you to bring a phone in (but it may have changed since I took my) and with only 2 hrs I wanted to keep track of time but couldn't and that got me frustraded.
Also this may sound odd but I would suggest earplugs depending on wear the test is given.  Iv'e heard stories of the test being given with a wedding in the next rrom or worse a superbowl party.  It's very hard to concentrate with that type of activity going on when you can hear it.  I use earplugs to block it out.
just my 2 cents
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-25-2012 12:00
Every AWS CWI seminar I've attended includes a warning that time is your enemy and to bring a watch or a travel alarm to keep track of yout remaining time.

No cell phones, PDA, laptops, notepads, etc, are permitted in the room during the test.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-26-2012 14:47
With some consultation from various sources and especially the person in charge of the Part B, who is ultimately in charge of the whole set up, when I proctor the Parts A&C we advise to turn cell phones off, at least to silent.  You are not allowed to look at it during the exam.  If you are somewhat expecting an emergency call, we advise that you must leave the room and a monitor will go with you (I even often send one of the monitors into restrooms regularly to make sure phone calls are not being made from there to get an answer or two).  BUT, if you decide to leave because of the call you will lose all you were there for.  Consider carefully which is more important.  If you knew it was even remotely possible a baby was to be born anywhere close to that time, choose another time.  Nothing else is even worth mentioning.  If getting your CWI is not the most important thing going on that week, you are in the wrong place at any time. 

Before the exam I tell them not to ask us how much time is remaining, we won't answer.  You get three notices: 30 minutes remaining, 15 minutes remaining, and Time is expired.  That should be enough to gauge and pace yourself by.  BUT, if you really want to know the time every second and waste time looking at a watch when you could be answering questions then by all means, bring one.  Just try not to spend too much time looking at it and trying to figure out how much time you have spent on each question and rather you can finish in the allowed time.  JUST TAKE THE TEST. 

I like Chris's suggestion of ear plugs.  In Phoenix in the summer, it seems like the swimming pool is always somewhere close, and noisy.  Just don't waste time rubbernecking to see all the pretty girls with very little on.  It is hard to take the test with blinders on.  :lol:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-27-2012 16:12
I usually tell people to leave the cell phone in their room or vehicle. If the call is too important to miss, don't schedule the test for that weekend. If the call is a life or death situation, you must be a surgeon and don't really need to take the CWI exam.

If the cell phone goes off during the test because you didn't listen, I tell the person to leave and don't come back. Hard-assed? Yup! Why should other test takers be interrupted because the guy with a cell phone set to ring is an idiot?

Al
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 09-28-2012 01:00 Edited 09-28-2012 01:02
Many moons ago when I took my CWI, they provided us with an AWS flashlight (which was ours to keep).  If that is not the case anymore, I would suggest taking a penlight along.

I agree about using the magnifier in the tool kit along with the scale.... but if you are also using a light, you run out of hands.  Buy a $10 pair of super cheaters, like 2.5 or even 3 and use them when taking accurate measurements.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 09-28-2012 03:31
Still got my little flashlight and the box it came in.  Compared to the P2X Fury I now carry, it's pretty anemic.
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 09-29-2012 19:18
they give you tyhje size of bthe oporosity yiu dont have to meassure every hole  just be able to asdfd fractyions and convert to metric and vice versa
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 09-29-2012 19:18
they give you tyhje size of bthe oporosity yiu dont have to meassure every hole  just be able to asdfd fractyions and convert to metric and vice versa
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-02-2012 15:55
BTW, you okay Joe?  That last post looks a little problematic.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 10-13-2012 06:27
someone spilled ut couplant on  my laptop im trying to usei the   ln screen key boardlol
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-02-2012 15:54
They do still give you the little flashlight with 'AWS' engraved on it. 

But, I would highly recommend getting your own flashlight and get used to it being on your belt at all times.  I carry one 24/7.  Granted, at home, church, shopping, etc it is my tactical light, but there is a light of some kind on my belt all the time. 

I see more and more guys using the lights that attach to hats (even hard hats) to help with the running out of hands issue.  Sometimes the hand holding the light just ends up in the way so you can't see what you are lighting up.  Not the case at the exams, just for future reference.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Exam Part B advice