Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Should I become a CAWI or wait another year?
- - By Hass Date 10-15-2012 00:18
My question is fairly simple... Is it worth becoming a CAWI for a year and a half, or should I just wait until I'm eligible to be a CWI?

I've 3 1/2 years welding experience, and am quite confident in my ability to pass the CWI test. The practice tests in 'Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors'  CM-2000 were fairly easy. I believe with further training from the 5 day seminar that I should be good to go. However I'm just wondering if I'm better off waiting until my 5 year welding anniversary to be eligible for the CWI or if I'm better just taking the test now and upgrading to a CWI at a later date. I'm not exactly sure how it would be to get a job as a CAWI around here. CWI jobs are quite plentiful however. I'm also attending school for Mechanical Engineering part time, but won't have my A.A.S. until a year or two from now, depending on how many credit hours I take. I'm generally doing 60hrs at work during the week with 6 hours at school on Saturday.. I'm waiting for work to get slow so I can pick up some extra courses at school.

So the question remains, will becoming a CAWI benefit my career even though there is no guarantee that I will hold a job as a CAWI?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-15-2012 10:38
The CAWI is very limiting and doesn't allow the inspector with that qualification any room to work without a CWI at his side everywhere he inspects. It is like the employeer has to have two guys to review the same work because the CAWI is so limited and has to work under the direct supervision of a CWI otherwise the CAWI is performing illegal inspections. Do you have any other structural or welding experience or schooling that you could count towards your 5 years of experience? It would be a shame to pass the exam and only to get the CAWI certificate.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-15-2012 10:52
I believe if you pass the exam in all three aspects it is only a matter of paperwork to upgrade to CWI when you meet the experience requirement.

If you are high on your learning curve and can also swing the seminar, It seems like a good idea to get the test behind you while you are fresh in study mode.

As John mentioned, there are significant limitations to the "associate" designation.  But if you are working under the authority of a CWI there are still tasks you can perform as an inspector...

I'm sure some others will chime in with advice as well.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-21-2012 22:18
Lawrence

Your statement -  "But if you are working under the authority of a CWI there are still tasks you can perform as an inspector..." is not entirely true.  There is still the "... within audible and visible range..." restriction.

There is a move afoot to relax that restriction, which I think will be unfortunate and devastating to the credibility of the profession.  I think the pressure is from people who just want to avoid the fact that the CAWI is clearly a person who has legally demonstrated that he/she is not competent.  Even if he / she got 100% on all three parts, if the qualifying experience and education combination is not there, the person is not qualified. 

Right now, the only person who cannot perform welding inspection on a solo basis is a CAWI!!!!!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-21-2012 23:22
You are right of course Joe

Your words are more accurate.

"Working under the direct supervision is more correct"

I still think for a person who has scored well on all aspects of the exam but simply lacks time, there can be value in the associate status.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-15-2012 15:18
Hass,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Personally, I say WAIT. 

1)  If you aren't going to be able to use it now then it doesn't matter how long you have had some sort of inspection credentials.  Employers want to know what you have actually done in QC, not how long you had a worthless certification that you didn't, and in many ways couldn't, use. 

2)  For getting a job once you have your CWI, the material will be fresher in your mind when the boss checks to see how much you know.  Makes a better impression.

3)  Concentrate on your welding and finishing more of your degree.  Even if that takes you a little beyond your 1 1/2 years.  The degree will also help prove knowledge applicable to the career choice.   And you shows you are willing to finish what you start. 

4)  Then, take the CWI seminar and exams.  You will be more likely to be truly READY for a job as an inspector with a complete background in all phases of the work. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-23-2012 21:57 Edited 10-23-2012 22:04
Hass,

"So the question remains, will becoming a CAWI benefit my career even though there is no guarantee that I will hold a job as a CAWI?"
Wow that is a tough one! Just simply having the CAWI card in the wallet and still working as a Welder? Will it get you past the manicure expert (I'm sorry, I meant to say HR Rep:twisted:) and an interview? Quite possibly, yes.
Al presented the best case scenario I've ever heard for one wanting to pursue the CAWI. A suitable job in QC with proper mentoring is invaluable.
But I don't think it fully addresses your particular case.
Unless you have a standing offer to get a job in QC with a CAWI in hand, I would not suggest it and would wait the 1.5 years. Typically, these "Inspection apprentice" jobs pay far less than any class welder in the same facility. Concentrating your efforts on getting good grades and the degree ASAP is IMO is the best use of your resources.
Once again, the 5 day (or 2 week) seminar should not be undertaken as "training", but Review.
I applaud your determination and ambitions. But to me sounds like your plate is very full with work and school. Don't want to get burned out trying to take on too much at one time.
Best of luck to you in your decision. You are definitely thinking and preparing in the right direction.

Footnote....
Confidence in passing the CWI test is one thing. Passing it is another. Kinda like going into the boxing ring. You Always KNOW you can beat the other guy, until he hits you, and then we'll see whose hand is raised after the final bell!!!!!
Just think how much better a test taker you will be if you continue with your studies.
Wait the 1.5 year, and yes that is my final answer.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-21-2012 14:40 Edited 10-21-2012 14:48
Go for the CAWI. If you score high enough, you can apply for the CWI in short order, in the mean time you can be gaining useful experience as a welder, as an assistant inspector, or apply for the CWE and work as a welding instructor. If you are ready for the challenge, go for it. No one knows what you can do better than you do.

There is nothing wrong with working as a CAWI with an experienced welding inspector to gain valuable experience that isn't available by taking a seminar with AWS, Hobart, or any other program. You need to get your feet wet to see what to do on the job and how to conduct yourself as a professional. I have always said there is nothing more dangerous to himself or to the contractor than a newly minted CWI who has little or no on-the-job experience. To obtain CWI certification and then trying to meet the obligations of a CWI without working with an experienced CWI can be very expensive ordeal if a serious mistake is made or poor judgement is exhibited. Better to learn a few of life's lessons working with an old salt then to cut your career short by making a rookie mistake.

Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-21-2012 17:16
Thank you Al for saying this better than I did.

There may be rich opportunities to learn and to be mentored once you get through the exam. With or without many years of experience.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-21-2012 18:38 Edited 10-22-2012 02:45
I would hate to be known as someone that would throw a wet towel on anyone that is trying to better themselves.

I remember back to my days in high school. Had I listened to the naysayers, I would be flipping hamburgers for a living. Wait, she wasn't just a naysayer; she was the school guidance councilor. Her advice is still clear, "Why would you want to take a shop class instead of a study hall? If you plan on going on to college you need more study hall time to prepare for your other classes. You are just wasting time in those shop classes."

How could I study with all those lovely young ladies to pass my time with. Study for my next class? Right, I was too busy with more interesting subjects.

My impression of the guidance councilor was that she was a Republican that looked down on anyone that earned their livelihood with their hands. Then again, it could have easily been me that she couldn’t fathom. Imagine that.

The results of my time in study hall: tossed out and sent to spend some quality time with the principal. My conclusion; study hall was a waste of time when I could have been welding, machining, or learning something useful.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-21-2012 22:22
Al

Princip AL

We know you are a principl ED person.  We know your main principl E is "anything and anyone but a Republican.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-21-2012 22:57
You and I agree on that Joe.

Al:cool:
- By Hass Date 10-28-2012 22:43
Thanks for all the great advice.

My current company was hiring a new Entry level QC Inspector, I thought about applying for it. However like it was mentioned here it came with a rather steep pay cut (6k/year less with no overtime). Plus I don't know how well they'd actually consider me since welders are so difficult to come by around these parts. I doubt they'd be very willing to let me switch to a position that has many possible candidates.

I'm not quite sure how to word what I mean to ask. I wasn't sure if simply having the CAWI certification for the 1 1/2 years would make it seem like I am better qualified for a position when I actually do become a CWI. I understand it's not the same as actually using it. However I have a feeling it may be difficult to find a job as a CWI with no prior QC experience. I just want to try to get every advantage that I can get when it does come time. Most jobs here state something along the lines of CWI certification required and a minimum of 2-5 years QC experience.

Sometimes I do wish I had tried for the QC position, because at least that way I can apply QC experience towards CWI and to the future job.
I do have 10 weeks of welding school counted in to that experience time.

It's too bad it doesn't go by hours, not years... If all the overtime I have worked was factored in I'd have way more than enough :cool:

Thanks again guys, I think I'm just going to see where things go. I'll most likely hold off. The more I thought about it, the more I realize I have enough going on and don't want to make sacrifices or not be able to give 100% at whatever I do. I have a feeling I may indeed overload myself if I try. Not to mention I think I may get a little behind on school if I take a week off to go out of town for the seminar/testing.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Should I become a CAWI or wait another year?