Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / CWI Exam Class, Pre-Study Help!
- - By welderfish70 Date 01-12-2013 20:24
Hello to all,

Let me start out by saying, I am definitely going to take the CWI Exam class at Hobart in Troy, Ohio this year (2013). To my understanding they will provide certain books for the class, listed below. But unlike when I was in High School, I want to study, then study more and then study some more, :lol:. Failure is not a option for me:red:.

I have 20 years of experience welding and have dealt with alot of inspectors, that have approached me to become a CWI. Now I am going to take the plunge:surprised:

I have a list below that has recommendations of books and online courses to get or do ahead of time to be prepared for the class and exam. My name isn't Bill Gates, so I have to purchase the items in stages. I need help with what to do or buy in the best order as possible.

Hobarts provides: not a 100% sure though.

a. D1.1 / D1.1M Coce Clinic Reference Manual
                                  b. API 1104 Study Guide for API Standard 1104 Welding of Pipelines
                                  c. Welding Inspection Technology
                                  d. Welding Inspection Technology (Workbook)
                                  e. Welding Inspection Technology Sample CWI Fundamentals Examination & Key
                                  f. Standard Welding Terms & Definitions
                                  g. Standard Symbols for Welding, Brazing, and Nondestructive Examination
                                  h. Visual Inspection Workshop Reference Manual
                                   i. Guide for the Nondestructive Examination of Welds

Recommended Books and Online Courses: Suggestions on which online classes or books to buy first and etc...
                                 a. D1.1 / D1.1M Structural Welding Code Book-------I Have Ordered
                                 b. API 1104 Pipeline Code Book
                                 c. Guide for the Visual Examination of Welds
                                 d. AWS Welding Handbook Series
                                 e. Metric Practice Guide for Welding Industry
                                 f. Standard Methods for Mechanical Testing of Welds
                                 g. Specification for Welding Procedure and Performance Qualification
                                 h. API-M: 2008 1104 Study Guide
                                  i. AWS Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors
                                 j. Welding Symbols Online Course / Learning Packet (Hobart Institute)
                                 k. Visual Inspection Online Course (Hobart Institute)

Any and all help will be much appreciated!:confused:
Parent - By Jprisk Date 01-14-2013 23:23 Edited 01-14-2013 23:26
I took the AWS seminar last year and passed. From that experience, I would recommend learning as much as you can about all ndt procedures and any welding process that you are not already familiar with. I had the hardest time when it came down to questions about laser beam or electro slag welding because I had no experience whatsoever with them. I also recommend that you order a CWI toolkit from G.A.L gauge company(advertised on AWS.org) and get comfortable using the tools. I will tell you something that I wish someone would have told me: order the metric kit because they give you a standard kit at the seminar.If you have been welding for 20 years, you should be okay as long as you get a basic understanding of the things that you dont encounter on a regular basis. As far as pre-study books, I would say the Welding Handbook series and the Guide to Visual Examination of Welds would be you best bet.

Good Luck,
J. Prisk   CWI
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-15-2013 00:06
The welding handbook volume 1 9th edition has information on

CHAPTER 1 – SURVEY OF JOINING, CUTTING, AND ALLIED PROCESSES Introduction
CHAPTER 4--WELDING METALLURGY
CHAPTER 6--TEST METHODS FOR EVALUATING WELDED JOINTS
CHAPTER 8--SYMBOLS FOR JOINING AND INSPECTION
CHAPTER 13--WELD QUALITY
CHAPTER 14--WELDING INSPECTION AND NONDESTRUCTIVE EXAMINATION
CHAPTER 15--QUALIFICATION AND CERTIFICATION
CHAPTER 16--CODES AND OTHER STANDARDS
CHAPTER 17--SAFE PRACTICES
APPENDIX A--TERMS AND DEFINITIONS
APPENDIX B--METRIC PRACTICE GUIDE FOR THE WELDING INDUSTRY

The TOC is at http://www.aws.org/w/a/weldinghandbook/9v1.html#toc

That book (8th edition), Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors, and experience with the code I was testing to was all I used at my 1st test in 1989. It is also all I have used to refresh myself for the other two times I have taken  the complete exam. (I let my certification lapse a couple of times and have had 3 numbers). Haven't taken one of the courses but I am sure that having some knowledge before you go in can make the course much more effective.

The "Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors" is nice because you can go through the questions and answers. Some of the content isn't that great but its OK. I hope to someday have an online course together for some of the topics but the content is slow going.

Have a good day.

Gerald Austin
weldingclassroom.org
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 01-15-2013 05:44
If your going to take the Hobart course listen to everything thing they say.  The information they put out will be overwhelming and the home work will wear you out.  Stay awake, due all the homework and study till midnight every day.  Tab your code book and remember, the index is your friend.  If you do all of those things and use the knowledge you already have, you should pass the test.  When your sitting in the class, look around at everyone in there and what you'll see is that at least a third of the people in there, are retaking the test because they didn't take the class seriously the first time.  What you will realize after the test, is you didn't know as much as you thought you did.   Good luck.
Parent - By M Baker (**) Date 01-22-2013 18:26
As a point of clarification, Hobart provides:

Symbols for Welding
Symbols for Nondestructive Examination
Welding Inspection
Welding Guide
Destructive Testing Methods
Nondestructive Testing Methods
Welding Discontinuities and Defects
Binder of further information

Hobart recommends for prestudy:

1.   Obtain a copy of the AWS QC1 Standard for AWS Certification of Welding Inspectors.  This is available free as a download from the American Welding Society website at http://www.aws.org/certification/docs/QC1-2007.pdf .  This is the standard for all AWS-CWIs.  Read it completely.

2.  When you have selected the code you will use for the Part C – Open Code Book part of the exam, you should purchase that code book.  This may be purchased from http://www.welding.org/c-24-welding-codes-and-specifications.aspx or directly from the publisher.  Look how it is organized: the table of contents, the index.  Learn how to find information quickly and understand what each section covers.  Bring this code book with you to the class.

3.  Obtain a copy of the AWS – Part B Examination Book of Specifications.  This is available free as a download from the American Welding Society website at http://www.aws.org/certification/docs/Book_of_Specs_Eng_2008.pdf
Read it from cover-to-cover including the footnotes. This book of specifications is the standard you will use for the Part B examination.

4.  If you are experienced in welding but have limited experience in welding inspection, you may choose to attend the Arc Welding Inspection and Quality Control Course (AWI520) at the Hobart Institute to get basic inspection training.  http://www.welding.org/p-160-arc-welding-inspection-quality-control.aspx . This course is not a prerequisite requirement for the CWI course, but can be very beneficial for someone starting out in welding inspection.

5.  If you cannot attend the Arc Welding Inspection and Quality Control Course, you may want to purchase the AWS Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors.  http://www.welding.org/c-18-aws-books.aspx .  It is for self-study.  Read each section and answer the questions at the end of each section.

6.  If you lack welding process experience, you may want to take the 4-day Welding for the Nonwelder course at Hobart Institute.  http://www.welding.org/p-159-welding-for-the-non-welder.aspx.  It provides welding process information and hands-on practice with oxyacetylene welding, shielded metal arc, gas tungsten arc, gas metal arc and flux cored arc welding processes.

7.  You may take the online Welding Symbols Course http://www.welding.org/c-54-online-courses.aspx on the Hobart Institute website. Also, the Visual Inspection Course is online at www.welding.org which may be helpful to you.

Thank you.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / CWI Exam Class, Pre-Study Help!