Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Olets and other pipefittings that don't fit
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By hacksaw (*) Date 01-18-2013 22:14
Often, when I'm on the job I notice that many fittings don't fit when they come from the factory. Olets are often a good example. For example, they may be saddled to fit between 5-10 inch diameter pipe. Not one exact size in particular. What is the correct way to fix this problem, according to the welding codes? Should I weld the olet like it is, with a tight gap on two sides and a wide gap on the others, or should we resaddle it with the grinder? This is another example of how QC's on the job are unable to answer real world questions like this.

Another question is about the different thicknesses of pipe fittings, compared to the pipe wall thickness of the same schedule. This seems to be a common problem. Doesn't the welding code specify that high-low isn't allowed inside the pipe? Yet, I don't see any QC's forcing the pipe fitters to transition the pipe.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-18-2013 23:12
It would be prohibitively expensive to cast o-lets to every size pipe.
I make them regrind O-lets for proper fit and I look inside for penetration on B31.1 and B31.3 projects.
But check your prints, they may or may not call out for full penetration. ASME does have fillet weld finished profile requirement for O-lets.
Just like doing informational RT shots on socket welds for gap.

" pipe fittings, compared to the pipe wall thickness "
Typically they are "false beveled". "T"'s are the worst and may be also made for multiple schedules. the long side of the tees are typically thicker and will be counter bored and bevelled to appropriate wall thickness. Some do make it through that are truly out of ID dimension and out of round (see fotos), but most are compliant on the I.D.
Attachment: 90-1.JPG (75k)
Attachment: 90-2.JPG (62k)
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-19-2013 20:16 Edited 01-19-2013 20:18
Many piping codes simply state the root opening must be in accordance with the WPS. I guess that means the WPS must provide the welder with more information about the joint detail/design than "all grooves and all fillets.”

ASME B16.25 provides some direction on the details of butt joints for pipe to pipe and pipe to fitting (weld neck, valves, etc.), but that is pretty much the extent of the information available from ASME.

ASME B31.3 states that joints not meeting the requirements of B16.25 must be qualified by testing if the system is designated as "high pressure" by the Owner. To the extent possible, following B16.25 is prudent.

As a recommendation, the contractor/welder could use AWS recommended practices developed the D10.X committees. Before anyone goes off on a rant about how much does AWS know about pipe welding, let me say that many of the committee members are also on ASME code committees. The committees are comprised of industry recognized piping gurus that have developed a number of recommended practices for welding carbon steel pipe, austenitic stainless steel pipe, aluminum pipe, etc. I guess it is a case of where ASME is hesitant to tell anyone how to do anything; instead they and industry uses AWS as their vehicle to get the message out. It is up to the user to either develop the necessary joint details by trial and error or to adopt the recommended practices available from AWS or other recognized sources. Generally speaking, recommended practices are accepted as industry best practices. From a liability standpoint, should something go horribly wrong and litigation rears its ugly head, damage awards are often mitigated if the contractor or the engineer can show that "industry best practices" were followed. That doesn't mean someone on the witness stand testifies "That's the way we always did it." It means the witness can show that a recommended practice published by a recognized professional organization was followed routinely.

Back to the question; I agree with the previous post that the manufactured fittings are made to fit a range of pipe diameters, but not necessarily in the “as received” condition. The fitting have to be fitted to the field conditions to produce a uniform root opening that meets the requirements of the WPS and provides the fit-up needed to ensure the welder can produce a weld with complete joint penetration.

Now for the rub; the employer is responsible for the work performed by their employees. It is common practice to qualify the welder to meet the minimum code requirements. That normally means the contractor is going to do as little as practical to meet the minimum standards. To that end various contractor organizations have developed welder qualification programs where member contractors can get their welders qualified once and the qualification is “transportable” from one contractor to another. The goal is to reduce the time and cost of qualifying welders that often jump from one project to another and one contractor to another. After all, most of us agree that the welder’s skill is not perishable and the welder does not forget the skills that have been acquired over time. In theory the concept is viable.

Customer expectations are higher than they were twenty or thirty years ago. The manufacturing world of Frederick Taylor has been largely pushed to the side except in Third World Countries. This especially true on modern construction sites were every job is different from the last job completed. It is not unusual for the applicable code to be different, the materials being welded to be different, the acceptance criteria are different, and project specifics are different on each new project. We expect the workers to adapt to the new requirements, but how can they if they are not aware of the new requirements?   

My position differs from that of many contractors. I view the welder qualification test as an opportunity to assess the welder’s skills, work habits, and working knowledge of how the work is to be accomplished. It provides me with an opportunity see if the welder has safe work habits; does he/she wear safety glasses, etc. It affords me an opportunity to review the job requirements with the welder and to see whether the welder can follow written work instructions. After all, that is the function of a WPS; it is a written work instruction providing the welder with information about how a weld is to be made. In today’s working environment it is important that worker have the capability to follow directions and not depend on the industry culture of “That’s how I always do It.” or “That’s the way I did it on the last job.”

Many problems I encounter on the job site are the result of the welder not being aware of code requirements or specific techniques that ensure acceptable work. In my humble opinion the time spent qualifying the welder is time well spent and cost effective if the opportunity is used to its full advantage. One of the contractor’s prime objectives is to reduce the cost of producing a structure or product that meets the customer’s expectations. Rejected work and associated repairs subtracts profit from the job, it causes the customer to question the contractor’s ability to perform the work, and detracts from worker satisfaction. A comprehensive welder qualification program can improve the profitability of the project and customer satisfaction. 

In closing, questions such as that asked in this post could be or probably should be addressed by the WPS. Taking this one step further, fit-up requirements could easily be addressed during the welder qualification process when the contractor could spend time reviewing the WPS and provide the welder with specific information about the project requirements.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 01-20-2013 00:24
I agree with your post, but it doesn't have much relevance in the real world, or not in mine anyways. This is a real world event that happened to me. I'm on the job welding an olet that doesn't fit correctly (no WPS on this job). It has a tight gap on two sides, and a huge gap on the other two sides. We are cramped up in a pipe rack where we can hardly move. I put the root in, and part of it has has no penetration and the other part has excessive penetration caused by the poor fitting olet. The QA looks at the root and doesn't say a word, or ask why it looks like this. He then walks off and tells the general foreman that my "stencil has been pulled" (meaning that I am not allowed to weld on this job again). The foreman then fires me, while the QA hides in his office, until I am removed from the plant, without ever giving me a chance to explain what happened. This is the type of stupidity we have to deal with as welders.:confused:
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-20-2013 01:52
Hacksaw,
As noted above manufacturers do not make O-lets to fit every size of pipe - you must use a grinder to shape the olet so that the root gap is uniform.
If you have fitted the olet yourself then you are responsible for the poor fit-up.

If someone else has fitted it up previously and you have been told to weld it you have three options - (1) cut it off and prep it correctly, (2)speak to the supervisor and say you do not want to weld it due to the poor fit-up or (3) just weld it.
If you choose option (3) the minute you strike an arc (knowing it has a poor fit-up) you have taken ownership of that joint and you are solely responsible for the visual failure.
Sorry, but that is the real world.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 01-20-2013 04:30
The point that I'm making is that shouldn't all aspects of the fit-up be covered in the welding code? These are clear and common problems. Welders aren't bosses. Inspectors need to be making these decisions. That's why they are making the money they are making...And they don't have to worry about any bosses firing them or laying them off for creating problems. I'm often finding that these people (inspectors) serve little purpose, and want as little responsibility as possible. They want to inspect the finished product, and blame everything on the welder that they don't like. Many have no "hands-on" experience and don't know who to blame. Often times when they do try and offer a solution to a problem, it sounds like a brilliant idea that an 18 y/o helper would come-up with.:twisted: This is why I have taken an interest in getting a CWI. Maybe I can change this.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-20-2013 06:19 Edited 01-20-2013 06:30
I stand by my post.

You are the welder. You are responsible for your weld. The employer is responsible for your work should if fail in service. The inspector's responsibility is to verify the weld meets the code requirements.

You didn't know, you didn't ask, you got fired.

The inspector didn't check to see that you had a WPS to follow. If he was there to check the fit-up before you started welding and didn't raise a red flag he didn't do his job. You suffered the consequences of his failure to perform.

The contractor didn't provide you with the information you needed and now has a weld that has to be repair at considerable cost and it is money subtracted from his bottom line.

The "real world" bit you in the ass my friend.

All of this could have been avoided had the advice in my post been followed. By the way, when I am hired to test welders, I routinely review the WPS with the welder and typically review key code requirements before allowing the welder to begin the test. It is real world when I am involved. 

As for your opening statement, “The point that I'm making is that shouldn't all aspects of the fit-up be covered in the welding code?" My response is that ASME does not tell the contractor how to do anything. The burden of "how" something is done to meet the code is the contractor's responsibility. The question I have is if you didn't know, why didn't you ask before starting the weld? 

If the inspector involved is a third party inspector it isn't his responsibility to tell you how to fit-up and weld a joint. As a matter of fact, a third party inspector that does offer advice is headed for a short career. On the other hand, the contractor has a responsibility to perform the quality control functions needed to ensure the work meets all the code and project requirements. It sounds like the system is broken. 

Welcome to the "real world." It is not always kind. Ignorance can cost the worker his job and it can put the contractor out of business. Darwin is alive and doing his best to sort the weak from the strong, the skilled from the unskilled, and the educated from the uneducated. The education I am talking about can come from the school of hard knocks or by taking classes that teach you what you need to know to function as a welder, inspector, engineer, or mechanic. I would venture to say you have decided on graduating from the school of hard knocks. That is a slow, expensive curriculum follow.

Al
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-20-2013 16:36
What he said, Amen!
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 01-20-2013 19:22 Edited 01-20-2013 22:10
All I'm seeing are clever inspectors trying to weasel their way out of responsibility and accountability. They will waffle back and forth and spin everything around so the welder is held responsible for everything, similar to a lawyer. This won't ensure safe/quality work. All they did in my situation was replace me (a welder with 18 years experience) with a welder fresh out of trade school. According to your post you said:
"From a liability standpoint, should something go horribly wrong and litigation rears its ugly head, damage awards are often mitigated if the contractor or the engineer can show that "industry best practices" were followed. That doesn't mean someone on the witness stand testifies "That's the way we always did it." It means the witness can show that a recommended practice published by a recognized professional organization was followed routinely."
How can the welder follow "industry best practices" if nobody on the job can give clear and strait answers on how to fix these clear and common problems?

You said:
"The inspector's responsibility is to verify the weld meets the code requirements."
I disagree with this. The inspectors responsibility is to make sure all of the codes are followed. Proper fit-up is part of the welding code. Click on the link below, and learn them. In all of this heyday of drivel that has been posted on here, I still haven't gotten my question answered. What does the welding code state about fixing these type of problems on olets. Modifying a new fitting with a grinder could be a potential liability. WPS mean little to me, since the people writing them are often incompetent. How can inspectors write a WPS, when many of them don't even know the welding codes. I need an actual code to supply to supervision to back me up, if I refuse a weld for improper fit-up.  Everything else is opinion, which doesn't carry much water if "something should go horribly wrong and litigation rears its ugly head."

http://www.psig.sg/Don/B31.3%20Process%20Piping%20Course%20-%2012%20Fabrication%20and%20Installation.pdf

You said:
"ASME does not tell the contractor how to do anything."
Yet we can see in the b31.3 link above that ASME clearly does specify how contractors do things. Read the fabrication and installation section.

Does anybody know if this is the entire code, or just a summary of the code?
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-20-2013 22:12 Edited 01-20-2013 22:15
Hacksaw,

What accountabilty and responsibility is any one here trying to weasel out of?
Everyone is trying to enlighten you on how the delegation of duties and responsibilities are broken down "in the real world".
You apparently accepted an improper fit, welded it and suffered the consequences. 18 years? Well, the learning curve is not the same radii for everyone..
FWIW, I've been fired off more jobs than you'll probably ever have if you live to be 137. My learning curve was REALLY Llllooooonnnnnggggggg..... as a welder/fitter.  So just like you, I grew weary of listening to idiot inspectors, etc. took the exam, crossed over to the "Dark Side" of QA/QC. Go for it. Just don't expect to make some great change.

I suggest you get a copy (outdated ones are available in pdf format on line) of the governing code from the job you just got sh!tcanned off of and find out exactly what the code says about O-lets.
Think of this as your First study exercise for the CWI exam you will take someday.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-20-2013 22:50 Edited 01-22-2013 05:04
Hacksaw,

Your first question: "How can the welder follow "industry best practices" if nobody on the job can give clear and strait(it's spelled "straight") answers on how to fix these clear and common problems?" Spelling is an important attribute to have if you want to become a welding inspector especially when writing concise inspection reports, etc.

1.)You need to keep pestering, bothering everyone up the chain of command until someone takes the time and effort to clear things up for you by answering your query in a concise manner.:yell::eek::roll::twisted:

Note; If you cannot find anyone in the company that will do this, then I would question myself as to whether or not I want to work with a company that has no communication with their workers... I find that very hard to believe that a company such as the one you work for would not have a person who could look up your queries by either looking at the construction code or standard in order to clarify fit-up tolerances in B31.3...:roll::eek::lol::wink:

Al wrote in his previous post: "The inspector's responsibility is to verify the weld meets the code requirements."
You said: "I disagree with this." And then you went on to say: "The inspectors responsibility is to make sure all of the codes are followed...
Proper fit-up is part of the welding code."

2.) Well, I need to clarify for you that "Proper fit-up is part of the welding code." IS NOT part of the welding code because B31.3 is a construction code. Section IX is the appropriate WELDING CODE SECTION hacksaw!:yell::twisted::eek::roll::lol::wink::cool:

Note: This definitely proves that you need to study for at least six months to a year before you even think of taking a welding inspector course at Hobart because it's obviou that are not familiar with both the construction code (B31.3) as well as the welding code section IX (9), or another example would be Section IIIV, Division 1, Subsection B - Requirements Pertaining to Methods of Fabrication of Pressure Vessels, Part UW - Requirements for Pressure Vessels Fabricated by Welding, General: UW-1 through to UW-3, Materials: UW-5, Design: UW-8 through to UW-21, Fabrication: UW-26 through to UW-42, Inspection and Tests: UW-46 through to UW-54, Marking and Reports: UW-60, Pressure Relief Devices: UW-65 found in ASME's Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code (BPVC).:eek::confused::razz::roll::sad::wink::twisted::cool:

And Finally, you said: "ASME does not tell the contractor how to do anything. Yet we can see in the b31.3 link above that ASME clearly does specify how contractors do things. Read the fabrication and installation section."

"Does anybody know if this is the entire code, or just a summary of the code?"

3.) It's just a outline hacksaw.

I leave you with this statement as it pertains to you: "Denial is NOT a river in Egypt.":eek::confused::roll::twisted::wink::twisted: You have much to study Grasshopper!:eek::grin::lol::wink: You got some of the best advice from Al who I think is one of the most knowledgeable SCWI's/WE's in the business and yet you dismiss it??? You need to humble yourself if you want to step up and play with the big boys & girls!!!:yell::eek::twisted::wink::confused: Oh, and I have been in the business more than twice as much as your own 18 years as has so many other good friends in here.:yell::eek::mad::wink::twisted::cool:

Respectfully, or not,
Henry

Updated: Hacksaw, You're as of now entered as a top tier candidate for this years Darwin award... Suck it up and ditch the whining because you're really embarrassing yourself really bad son... Chalk it up as a hard lesson and humble thy self enough to possibly get onto another job. However, Don't even sign up for the AWS CWI exam because you're not ready at all... Next time insist to your boss to go to the actual location where the problem is so you can once and for all show them why, what or how because there's nothing like picture than whatever the amount of words you chose to explain the problem... In other words, Logic and common sense goes a long way in this industry and knowledge is power so, get some for crying out loud!!! 18 years??? C'mon Hacksaw!!! You're embarrassing yourself - PERIOD.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-20-2013 22:11 Edited 01-20-2013 22:30
Sorry to say Hacksaw, your head is situated in the wrong place.

Don't go blame other people for your failure. You have 8 years of experience? Welding pipe? Are you serious? In 18 years of welding pipe you never learned how to fit an integrally reinforced branch fitting (weld-o-let)?

It is not the third party inspector's responsibility to show or tell the contractor (or the welder) how to do the work, nor is it ASME’s responsibility. The code will specify minimum design requirements and little details like the minimum size of the reinforcing fillet weld, but it will not tell the contractor whether to use GTAW, GMAW, or SMAW. The code isn’t going to tell the contractor when to use a chainfall to hoist the pipe. The ASME codes do not tell the contractor "all pressure boundaries must be welded with two layers" (that is a requirement from NAVSEA TP278). Those are decisions the contractor must make. It is the contractor's responsibility to instruct their workers and provide the necessary supervision and quality control to ensure the code is met.

If you don't know how to fit a branch fitting or a weld neck flange, go ask your boss, not the inspector.

A long time ago an engineer that was inspecting a project I was welding on made the comment, "I can always tell a welder, but I can't tell him much."

I admit I was as much of a boneheaded welder as many I meet now. Hopefully you aren't one of those boneheads Hacksaw. Learn from the mistake and don't repeat it on the next job. If you don't know how to do something, ask your employer how he would like it done. You should be taking direction from your boss, not the inspector. If you follow the instructions of your employer you are in the clear. If you guess and you are wrong, it's down the road again.

You didn't say whether you are a pipe welder or a structural welder. If you are a cross country pipe liner, i.e., API 1104, I can see the quandary. API calls the weld joining the branch fitting to the run pipe a fillet weld, but hey, those pipes only blow up once in a while. API 1104 is one of the few welding standards I know of that permits cracks in the weld; crater cracks that is.

I really wish I could give you a sympathetic ear, but you screwed up and have no one to blame but yourself. Next time, ask for the WPS and ask for direction if you don't know how to do something. Who you gonna ask? You should ask your foreman, supervisor, or someone that works for your employer, not someone that doesn't work for your employer. The inspector working for a third party agency would have to be a complete idiot to expose himself and his employer to unnecessary liability by providing you or any of the contractor's people with advice or direction on how to do "something." If I got wind that one of my inspectors was offering advice to a contractor, he would be cut loose so fast the ink on his check would still be wet when it was handed to him.

I go back to my original response. Had my advice been followed this discussion wouldn’t be necessary. This is a case where the contractor didn’t provide sufficient supervision, it appears the contractor didn’t provide the necessary quality control, and you my friend were thrown under the bus because you didn’t ask how your employer wanted the branch fitting welded.

You want to blame the inspector, go ahead. Your whining will fall upon deaf ears. It is not the inspector’s responsibility to direct the tradesmen on the job. It is the contractor’s responsibility to provide direction to their workforce.

You are complaining about the poor advice that has been provided by inspectors in the past. Why would you listen to any advice offered by an inspector now? Could it be you just don’t want to face the fact that you messed up and need to blame someone else?

Your tears are pulling at my heart, so with 5 minutes spent searching the internet I found the following website:
http://www.pennusa.com/technical_resources/customer_training/outletguide.pdf

I apologize for repeating myself, but I find repetion is often needed in order to ensure the information has time to filter through the boney mass between the ears. :wink: It comes with being a welder I guess. Maybe that's why my wife always repeats what she's telling me three or four times; "Honey, the water still isn't draining from the bath tub."

"I know, I know, you've told me that 12 times since last month."

Lesson 1 for all newby CWIs working for 3rd party agencies; never, never offer advice to the contractor or their workers! You might be smarter than they are, but you have to let them hire their own consultants if they get into trouble. Your advice makes you a party to the problem. After all, the Owner hired you and is paying you a paycheck. You work for the Owner, not the contractor.

Lesson 1 for all newly married men: at least make believe you are listening to your spouse's complaints and find something to compliment her about. "Yes dear." Yup, that was the best roast I've eaten." Only then can you cut away the blackened crust.

The trick is to watch out for her traps; "Honey, do these pants make my butt look too big?"

"Yes, dear." is the wrong response!

Good luck - Al
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 01-20-2013 23:50
I'm not totally disagreeing with you. I'm saying that when I ask the fitter or foreman to do these things, they look at me like I'm crazy (and often refuse), and then the heat comes down on me, from the inspector. I agree its is not the third party inspector's responsibility to show or tell the contractor how to do the work, but the welder can't tell the fitters and foreman how to do theirs either. This is why we need something such as written codes that they are forced to follow. I can use these codes against a derelict QC, supervisor, or pipefitter that wants to do things incorrectly. I usually never see WPS and when I ask the inspector what is the correct way to do something, I get no real information. Or I get incorrect information. You say ask my employer how I should do something, yet they will say that they are taking orders from the inspectors. They will say ask the QC/QA how he would like it done. Then the QC/QA will say, "I don't know what to tell ya, get with your foreman." This is a common problem. The buck gets passed around, so nobody has to take responsibility. Then they will spin it around again and say, "You are the journeyman craftsman. You should be able to figure this out on your own." Then when the welder tries to solve the problem on his own, and the inspectors or engineers aren't happy with it, the welder takes the blame.

Some examples of derelict inspectors:
Example - We had some large bore pipe and the fitter could not get the large amount of high-low out. I asked the QC how he wanted to solve this problem. His verbal welding procedure was to grind the outside of the pipe until the high-low was removed.:lol: Don't grind the inside, he said. Luckily, the welds passed x-ray. But if they didn't, I would have been the one to lose my job. Not the QC that told me to do this.

Another example:
A young welder fresh out of trade school is told to make an x-ray weld (sever-cycle). It is a 6 inch schedule 40 fitted to a schedule 80. The written WPS stated that the QA wanted no transition on the pipe. Is this even allowed in the b31.3 welding code? Needless to say, this weld was a cut-out, after it was x-rayed, and the welder got his stencil pulled. And nobody questioned the QA that wrote the WPS.

The longer I work in this industry, the harder it is for me to take these people seriously. Or even trust them to be competent in writing a welding procedure. These type of situations are endless in this industry.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-21-2013 01:11
Well,

I for one would be happy I didn't have to depend on such incompetence for my livelyhood.
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 01-21-2013 19:32
I worked for 30 years as a pipefitter-welder, there's not much in the industrial piping world that I haven't seen. I can honestly say that never once did I ask an inspector how I should do something. What I would do whenever I was confronted with an unusual or f***ed up configuration was to tell the inspector what my plan was for making things work, and make sure he didn't see any conflict with the applicable code. Never ask an inspector how to do anything, you don't know where this guy came from or what his experience level is. I now work full time as a QC/CWI for a worldwide company here in Utah, and the guys in our shop here learned real quick that I'm not their boss, I'm not their welding guru, and I'm not their mother. I'm not out there to tell them how to do their work, only to ensure that it is done per code, that's it. Next time you're given a bad fit up, make it right. To just put in a bad root and then blame it on the fit up is pretty lame.
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 01-22-2013 00:58
You people are really ignorant. Have you read my posts?
you said:

I'm not out there to tell them how to do their work, only to ensure that it is done per code, that's it.

Proper fit-up IS PART OF THE WELDING CODE, that you are supposed to be enforcing! Read the code below. And technically, you are the welders boss if you can pull his stencil and get him fired. Yet, you can call it something else if you choose. Its called semantics.

http://www.psig.sg/Don/B31.3%20Process%20Piping%20Course%20-%2012%20Fabrication%20and%20Installation.pdf
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-22-2013 05:38
"You people are really ignorant. Have you read my posts?
you said:

I'm not out there to tell them how to do their work, only to ensure that it is done per code, that's it.

Proper fit-up IS PART OF THE WELDING CODE, that you are supposed to be enforcing! Read the code below. And technically, you are the welders boss if you can pull his stencil and get him fired. Yet, you can call it something else if you choose. Its called semantics.

http://www.psig.sg/Don/B31.3%20Process%20Piping%20Course%20-%2012%20Fabrication%20and%20Installation.pdf"

Hacksaw,
What you have attached is not the code, it is not an excerpt from the code and it is not a summary of the code.
It is a private individuals opinion of a welding code, in this case B31.3.

For B31.3 Normal Fluid Service
There is no code requirement for an inspector to check a specific joint fit-up. (unless it is written in contract documents)
There is no code requirement for an inspector to visually inspect a specific joint on completion. (unless it is written in contract documents)
The code mandates minimum visual inspection requirements (5% random) and that can be anything from joint fit-up to a completed weld.
The code only stipulates the minimum requirements - if the owner requires 100% visual inspection then it must be written in the project specifications (or contract documents).
I have worked numerous projects where 100% of the joint fit-ups are examined but this is nothing to do with the codes - it is an owner/client requirement.

As I stated before the minute you started welding something that you knew was poorly fit up you took ownership of it - you cannot turn around now and blame everyone but yourself for the weld failing,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By hacksaw (*) Date 01-23-2013 01:15
Well, you must be speaking from the perspective of a third party contractor. Welders know little about this stuff. To us, there is no different between a QC/QA, third party, second party or whatever. All we know is that the welding code DOES require proper fit-up, even though it may not require inspectors to inspect it. And often, fitters and supervision refuse to do these things. And again, often, we have no choice to weld what is put in front of us, or get packing down the road simply because nobody will enforce these rules. This is the REAL WORLD. The rules need to be changed to meet the real world. A welder can't take "ownership" of a weld unless he is the boss, and can control the situation.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-21-2013 01:37 Edited 01-21-2013 02:04
It sounds like a tired old gear box after a while, but I find that it’s true; 10% of the people excel at their job, 80% do enough to get by, and 10% should be doing something else with their time.

QC shouldn't be telling tradesmen how to do the work. That being said, a good number of QC people come up through the trades and are well versed in how the work can be accomplished in a manner that will satisfy the code and design. I have met many such individuals over the years. They can be a valuable asset in getting the job done properly, safely, and turn a tidy profit for the contractor. When such people are discovered, the smart contractor hires them for his team. There's is nothing wrong or unethical with going to work for a contractor. When the inspector is on the contractor’s payroll there is nothing wrong with the inspector giving direction to the workers.

When the contractor needs advice, there are talented people that provide those types of services for a fee. Their fees are usually well worth the money and can easily save the contractor time, expenses, and reputation. That being said, the contractor is usually tighter with the purse strings than a welder paying for a qualification test.

There have been a number of instances where contractors have refused to pay my fees and hired different company to provide the services for lower prices. Surprise, surprise, I show up on the project, get paid my original fee by company XYZ who was hired by the contractor. The insult comes when XYZ charges the contractor for my consulting services at double my going rate. Ouch!

"I could have hired you directly for half the price I was charged by XYZ!" says the contractor.

"Right you are sir, but you said I charged too much when you made your inquiry!" is how I respond to such comments.

Verbal procedure? If it isn't in writing, it isn't worth listening to. If it doesn't come from the Engineer signed and sealed you are crazier than the inspector giving the advice!

From what I have been reading Hacksaw you folks must be working with the Farm Code. That is the only explanation I can come up with. One of the advantages to the Farm Code is that it is available at no charge from the Forum. I did a search and couldn't find it, so I have attached an older version so you can add it to your library of references. It looks like it needs to be updated.

Best regards – Al
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 01-22-2013 01:44 Edited 01-22-2013 03:23
Well, we are working under a "farm code." I'm surprised the chemical plants and engineering departments still believe that this stuff is credible. The greatest concern that they should have should be from incompetent inspectors, and their lack of leadership and responsibility. Another example:

I was on a job (inside a plant) welding critical chlorine piping, x-rayed to sever cycle. I was advised by the foreman that this is low temp, so I needed to use a low temp wire. He gave me ER80Sb6. I advised him that I didn't believe that this was the correct wire. He said it was. I then went and asked the plant QC. I advised him that I didn't believe this was the correct wire. I was always told that ER80NI1 was for low temp pipe. He then looked at me stupid, and told me to just use whatever the foreman gave me to use. I asked him if it needed a preheat or purge (because I believed ER80b6 to be chrome),and he said no. As I continued to pester him to re-check these things, I got the same drivel that I'm seeing on this forum. He had a lack of concern, leadership, responsibility, or knowledge. Many of the welds didn't pass X-ray because of what I believe to be cracks in the welds, and I got layed off for having to many repairs. I don't know if he was right or wrong, because its hard to get any credible information from people in this industry. But I'm glad I got layed off before that started pumping chlorine through that line.

The problem is that there is no way of going over their heads. If the QC/QA says that the sky is green (probably from a chlorine cloud, LOL) then the sky is green!

Again, as I said before, whenever there is a question of concern, nobody wants to say anything because, as Al said in a previous post, they might be held liable, or be terminated. So the buck gets passed around, and everybody claims, "it ain't my job," and problems never get solved, and the questions never get answered, and the welder gets the blame. They aren't really concerned about safe quality work. An inspectors only job is to look at welds. Who cares about everything else?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-22-2013 04:04
The story you tell reflects badly on all of you.

But the only person you have control over as the welder is yourself.

We ought to be able to agree that with all the experience you claim, that we can assume that you understand that no weld should be made without a written procedure.

If you are asking questions to anybody that will give you an answer about filler metals, pre-heat and purge gas, it is obvious that you know you should have complete directions...

Yet you elect to move forward with verbal instructions only... again and again

The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over while expecting a different result.

But in other posts in this thread you have stated that you don't respect or trust inspectors, formen, or engineers, and that you don't trust the written things you have been given........ So in the end it appears that you are going to do whatever you want.... and when things go bad you will just blame everybody else...  Which will do nothing when you are the guy being asked to pack his tools and leave.

We live in an imperfect, dirty old world... And yes.. as you have explained in your stories there are people who don't care or outright cheat... What Al and the rest are trying to communicate is that there are a few very specific things you as a welder can understand and demand, good reasonable places to draw that line in the sand as a professional craftsman.....  Armed with the wisdom you have had shared with you in this thread maybe next time you walk away with your reputation intact rather than being fired with a damaged reputation.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 01-22-2013 05:39
From a third party inspectors point of view, I am not your personal welding instructor, your foreman, your guardian angel or your savior.  I am there to record how you are doing your job and report to the owner on the quality of product you are welding on.  To make your life easier in the welding world, learn everything you can about what your are doing at the moment.  Yes, that means going home and studying after work.  Knowledge is power, so the more knowledge you have about what your doing, the more power you will have over your future.  Your decision is, do nothing and complain about your job the rest of your life, or learn everything you can about your job and create your own future.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-22-2013 14:12
Hacksaw,

Well, all I can say is that your Original Post has been answered several times and from several points of view.
As for the remaining postings, my advice would be this...
You indicate you want to be an Inspector. Fill out the application, send in the $$$, Sign Up and take that test. No week seminar is required, the whole process for a Saturday of your time is less than $1000.00 and within a week or so, AWS will email the results to you. Then you can go on the Jobsite and play Welding Guru, personal instructor, Foreman, Engineer, and all the other duties you think QC should provide for each and every welder on your Watch. While doing all those functions that are NOT IN YOUR JOB DESCRIPTION, find a little time out of each day to perform the QA/QC job you were hired to do. You just might be surprised as to what is actually required to keep a project into Code Compliance.
Please get back with us on this and let us know how it is working out for ya.
BTW, wish you the best of luck on your CWI exam.
It can't be that hard if I can pass it.

As I said earlier, I've been in your shoes and fired for B.S. (many times!), got tired of it so, I merely took the test and moved forward. And YES I often times follow QCs that performed with questionable tactics and performance. However, I wasn't there and am relying on the testimony of others. Who am I to judge? Makes it tough sometimes.
Can't even remember the last time I struck an arc, and don't miss it one bit.
Life is GOOD as QC....!!!!!
Go for it man!
ps, Most welders know more than the QC, and know they can do my job better! I try to tell everyone...
"I don't know more than anybody else per se. You know things I don't and I know things you don't". "But here and now, we both have a job to do, so please go to the proper source for the answer to your production questions (chain of command) and they will get with me, and I gotta go now."
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-22-2013 14:31
I'll second that 99205.  Welders come running to us so often with the basic intent of showing up the foreman, welding supervisor.  It's not our job to teach, and yet it is under some limited circumstances.  There are many things I will say, after I have sent them to get the supervisor so we can get his take on why he asked the welder to do a particular project the way he did.   

And it is interesting how many people start using 'the real world' as an excuse when nothing else covers the blunder they made.  We all live in the real world and have worked in it for, as Henry said, double the years this OP has been at it.  Everyone of us has had to learn what our own and everyone else's job boundaries are.  Inspectors are not god, they are not scapegoats, they are not on the job trainers, they are not there to protect you.  We are there to report to the customer what is taking place on his job so he and his engineers can make the decisions.  We give guidance on some issues when asked by the welding contractor management. 

Someone just needs to stop trying to lay the blame on others and get back in there and get to work.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-22-2013 15:35
Sometimes, I just love this forum!:lol:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-22-2013 16:38
This is better than a soap opera isn't it Glyn? :lol:  Lots of drama, comedy, education, history, even sometimes more than a little science fiction.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-22-2013 16:51
On days like today, this place is my touch with reality! It don't get much better!:grin:

Just saddened that some of us have lost loved ones recently!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-22-2013 18:43
That is sure a truth that makes one consider where he is in his life's priorities.

Looking back over the past few months, my wife lost her mom and dad in Oct, we lost another close friend as the result of a surgery gone bad, now these that have been posted, not to mention others that I know I have seen here and in other places recently.  Winter time with cold weather, power outages, sicknesses, vacation travel for holidays, and so many other stresses seems to really take it's toll on elderly loved ones. 

My own parents are both in their early 80's and are on our priority list to see as often as possible though they are 1200 miles away. 

Anyway, sorry for the hijack guys.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-22-2013 19:08
Indeed Brent, it is a sad indication that this time of year seems to bring about a heavy toll on our older and elderly family members!

Just to add my thoughts to this post and bring it back on track, which may be controversial to some previous comments, I'm gunna tend to agree with Mr Hacksaw. If he was working/welding to a code/standard that non compliance to could and did cost him his job, surely it was up to his employers to ensure compliance from start to finish of weld? This would include set up and preparation of weld-o-let? I would call this good QA/QC practise? It is a sad indication and indicative of poor procedure that a work practise was allowed to progress so far as to cost a man his job before being caught!

Thoughts?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-22-2013 19:34
My thoughts to the original post are that the OP welded out the joint without a written procedure...  End of line

You can point fingers at everybody from the CEO on down to the guy that scrubbs the crapper if you like.

If a welder with 18 years experience strikes an arc on a coded project without a written welding procedure, he is out of compliance and he has nobody to blame but himself.  

End of line.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-22-2013 20:04
OK I can see the sense behind your logic.
Allow me to be the devils advocate......OP welded joint without a written welding procedure? That is a Quality fail!
Who ensured he was qualified to make the joint? That is, I think relevant to most standards that I'm aware of, in the eyes of inspection? I know it used to be my first point to check.
Yes, you can point fingers at everybody from the CEO down, that's why they are paid the big bucks. The guy cleaning the crapper probably don't give a s**t what you blame him for! The CEO might if his bonus is on the line!
18 year's experience or 18 hours experience makes no matter, he didn't have QC approval. Therefore, it's a company fail, they need to review there procedures if they want to continue coded standard work? (notice the question mark).
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-22-2013 21:34

I find your fresh perspective on this heated topic compelling.
You have brought forth some very valid points. BUT!
I don't really see it as a QC Fail... UNLESS this particular joint and weld fell under a Hold Point. Some projects I've been on do require 100% visual acceptance of joint prep and varying other time consuming QC monitoring. I've not read that in this thread.
True there are many to share the blame of this debacle, but only ONE fall guy. And in the real world, that is just how the cookie crumbles.
As the Devil's Advocate, you are outstanding.
Sux, but Darwinism as pertaining to survival of the fittest shall make our friend Mr. Hacksaw and his offspring tougher and a force to be reckoned with should he survive this harrowing incident.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-22-2013 21:57
Superflux, Thank You!
LOL no, in truth it is not a QC fail as it was caught. It is only a 'Fail' when the client or other interested party highlight the problem, god forbid!
Unfortunately, You are correct, Mr Hacksaw will need to step up and fall on his sword, but maybe lessons learned may prevail?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-24-2013 14:27
I agree that the quality program failed.... Terribly.

But we all have our roles... And when things get bad enough (very bad) as far as a quality system goes, an experienced welder has that knows better has to shoulder some responsibility for the work he produces.

If he knows its wrong (out of compliance or dangerous) and continues to produce he becomes *part* of the quality problem eh?

I would think a Euro  who has close association with ISO would understand this more keenly than an American.    ISO has designations for everybody!  From the welder to the Sr. engineer... They each must have education, training and prove themselves via examinations driven by the university system..  So it surprises me when you mentioned in another post how Euro systems were bad or worse..  They have far more strategy involved in overall quality systems in my opinion and experience
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-24-2013 14:39 Edited 01-24-2013 15:10
Hi Lawrence,
Thanks for your reply.
I'm actually in New Mexico! :confused:
I haven't worked on a ISO job in maybe 6 years? PED yes but under 31.3! I believe you are making assumptions, assumptions usually lead to mistakes! I'm not being augmentative!
I believe firmly that ASME standards are a world class standard, and I would rather work to these than most other standards that I'm familiar with!
Class Room Education is in my humble opinion a very worth while endeavour but should be tempered with experience and common sense, more so in a vocational role!
ISO or EN standards can, once again, IMHO be complicated to interpret compared to ASME, but then I have more experience with ASME so I am probably biased!
If you read the post again, I stated I was acting as a 'Devils Advocate', I fully agree that the welder should have been proactive in the quality plan. But rather than dismiss Mr Hacksaw's complaint out of hand, I would look to learn from it! Hence my comments regards QC procedural failures?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-24-2013 15:54
You always make the conversation better!

The Devil doesn't need an advocate!

I'm not dogging U.S. Standards  :)    But it's interesting to me that the U.S. and ISO take some pretty different approaches when it comes to roles and how to qualify for those roles.

AWS  S.E.N.S.E guidelines were originally influenced by the Education/Technology/Testing view that ISO/EN's really was heavily influenced by in the 1980's and 1990's
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-24-2013 16:19
Yes you are correct, ISO/EN and US Standards have little in common with each other. However, 90% of construction work around the globe will be dictating US standards, another 5% will be based on US standards(AS).

EN/ISO standards of competency with regards to inspection/engineering personnel are well and good on paper, but when it could take upwards of $40K to reach a minimum level of education plus the required OJT etc just to be qualified as a welding engineer, then it becomes problematic!

I would much rather have someone who knew the job from background experience?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-24-2013 17:30
Oh I agree....

The University driven EN/ISO paradigm leaves little room for people with on the job experience to advance into supervisory roles... At least this was how they rolled back in 2003 when I last had serious study of the norms.

I like the idea of certification.... I like the     idea     of a system that can help people understand roles and accountibility procedures in a world that can have customers trading with one another across oceans, contenents and language barriers...   Lot's of good stuff with ISO/EN....

But when last I looked they were so very rigid about how to qualify for roles, that I was not agreeable to that part.  But Universities are going to probably always expend great efforts to control process, and by doing so force as many people to deal/depend on/with them as they can...  

Nature of the beast I suppose
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-24-2013 18:18
You can look across many occupations currently and see a trend that is not neccessarily good.  It goes like this, since the college educated with Masters and Doctorates are running many organizations, institutions, companies and along with their lawyers, engineers, etc are dictating the standards by sitting on the committees because they can afford the time to be there and/or are being paid by those with vested interests to be there then they are pushing the agenda taught them in their institutions of higher learning that unless you went to college and got the highest possible degree you are not qualified to do the work.  (how's that for a run on sentence??)

More education does not necessarily mean more intelligence and most certainly does not equal more skill or practical knowledge. 

The issue becomes how to get a good cross section of all factors.  Some need more books.  Some need more hands on experience.  But it takes a well balanced combination of all aspects along with personality and character, and probably a dose of morals, to really get the best qualified individual.

The education can be overcome by throwing more money at it.  Because bottom line is that's what it takes to get more schooling...they want the money and the time to brainwash you.  To graduate you usually must conform to their thinking, ideology, politics, 'religion', etc.  (that doesn't include all classes, institutions, instructors, but is largely correct)

But we are really lacking any true training programs to speed up the skills process with valid applicable hands on knowledge of the chosen profession.  Even many of the apprenticship programs throw the trainees to the wolves way too quickly without truly finishing the job. 

And then they wonder why they make minimum wage and can't pay for more education let alone take care of a family.  There are many 'good' welders who never got certified, never finished any kind of trade education, never take it upon themselves to learn more of the depth of their trade and then complain about low wages.  But when guys like me give them an entrance level exam...they can't read decent, they don't do math, they know nothing of even high school level welding, they can't read a tape measure, they know nothing of codes, they have terrible penmanship and spelling, they don't know how to run a bandsaw, drill press, torch, or even a grinder properly, but they want me to put them to work for $25-30 per hour with benefits added.

Then, they turn around and blame the inspectors when they don't know how to complete their job as expected and get fired. 

And let's face it, even a doctorate in some aspect of the welding trades won't teach you how to be a pipefitter that has an understanding of the applicable codes.  The only thing it does is prove you had the where with all to finish something and the money to do it.

Now, I'm not bashing college and an education.  A search of my posts on this forum will show I support and encourage advanced education and getting a degree when and where possible.  And it can and will help one along the way.  When one approaches education with the right attitude you will learn from any situation, teacher, book, etc.  Sometimes, that learning may be what not to do.  But you learned. 

But dictating a higher education to hold the upper level jobs is not the answer. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 01-24-2013 06:44
Hacksaw makes this forum lively again:grin::yell:

I missed 3.2:yell:

~Joey~
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-24-2013 13:09
I have said this before, the forum is IMHO slowly dying! We have three or four 'technical' people and maybe the same for 'standards'! Anyone who actively disagrees or argues too strenuously is put down! Look back a few years to when 3.2, Nanjing and yourself etc were on here daily and contributing in an informative way!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-24-2013 14:09
Anybody who disagrees with the majoity is strongly disagreed with by the majority eh?

This thread is not al all like the posts from 3.2 and Nantong and Joey.

There is a big difference *(hacksaw) complaining about bad supervision and blaming them for all the woes in his life... Vs  Worldwide experienced experts like 3.2, Joey et. al.

They may have the majority disagree with them, but for much different reasons.

I've never see the foreign contingent blame there woes on anybody, ever.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-24-2013 14:35 Edited 01-24-2013 14:39
Glyn and Joey,

I strongly agree with Lawrence on this,  none of you guys come across in the same negative, self-righteous, inspectors don't know squat, won't listen to anyone spirit that is evident in this thread.

There may have been, and may still be, times of strong disagreement and personal opinions but that is what makes this a great spot.  Just as the posts a couple days ago between SF & 46.00.  They had good thought provoking content without personal attacks and without contributing to the ego of a non code educated welder.  At the same time, you did not go after the welder with a personal attack that would not have helped the conversation.  I would also point to a discussion with one of Lawrence's students largely contributed to by 'Electrode'.  I was very impressed with the content and spirit of his participation in that discussion. 

BTW, I found your discussion very appropriate and well thought out Glyn.  You and John added some worthwhile consideration to the discussion and I think came to a proper conclusion: not a failure.  May not have been handled 100% as it should have been, but not a fail. 

I find myself in line with Al, the story has changed as this has continued.  And, we still only have his side of the story.  Rather hard to ever reach a 'Conclusion' under such circumstances.  But, reaching conclusions is not necessarily the purpose or goal of this forum.  It is to educate, promote, and assist with all the various opinions of it's contributors and offer the OP with a compilation of information that will hopefully help 'THEM' to come to a decision and course of action that will benefit them in their job. 

I've had a hard time wanting to get at all involved in this thread because of the spirit of the OP.  Every response to his queries has been attacked.  And he has hangups about the codes, their application to his particular job, and the required responsibilities of inspectors while not even understanding the difference between Contractor Inspectors, TPI's, etc.  I'm not sure of his understanding of the application and usage of WPS's as well.  All the codes I am familiar with say a WPS will be written and is to be accessible to the welder.  I don't care what management person 'said' anything or how clear it appears to the welder, WPS's are in writing to a generally accepted format with code required essential and non-essential variables.  They are also required to be reviewed and stamped acceptable to and by the engineer on the job. 

There still appear to be holes in this story.  Then, he says we are off topic because we still want to discuss his OP.  The bottom line is, that is still the discussion.  Although, it becomes more obvious that his intention for this thread from the beginning was inspector bashing, not information to guide to a proper conclusion of the OP. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.  Thanks for your contributions.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-24-2013 16:02
Thank You for your comments!

I have found this to be a stimulating thread, we do need more and that, I suppose is my point!?

All too quickly we seem to go from disagreement to vindictiveness! The threshold seems thin!

I also enjoyed Lawrence's posts and the subsequent replies, especially from 'electrode'! Most of which were totally over my head, but I did learn from them and would like to think I could incorporate this new found knowledge into my work one day!

What I am trying to get across, I suppose is the seemingly lack of thought inspiring posts that used to be abundant on here! Also the fact that deviance is seen as wrong and jumped upon without apparent thought, thus driving away potential new blood! My comments on Mr Hacksaw being a point! Everyone had dismissed his complaint without question and even ridiculed his thread, but it turned into a decent conversation with educational status in the end, I know I learnt from it, just by voicing my thoughts!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-24-2013 16:25
I'm kind of late getting into this thread to read...but regarding this comment:

>Everyone had dismissed his complaint without question and even ridiculed his thread

Maybe I missed something, but it appeared that Hacksaw started down that path by the 4th reply and continued to vocalize towards folks who didn't sympathize with him.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-24-2013 16:33
Hi John,
I thought he (Mr Hacksaw) had started before that!
However, just by not agreeing or sympathising with him does not give reproach to counter ridicule?
He did after all submit a relevant question?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-24-2013 16:48
From my perspective(reading afterwards, and not actually seeing the whole thing unfold), it appeared that his question was valid and was being taken pretty seriously by the forum participants until his 4th reply. After that it seemed that people backed up and started digging their heels in. I think he was looking for someone to agree with him that the CWI was at fault (and not him) since his stamp got pulled for not working to a written WPS. How does one weld out a joint without a WPS, even a fillet weld? I'm still at a lost as to why the welder(him) didn't know to ask for one so that he could do his job properly (according to that WPS). If his supervisor couldn't supply the WPS, then how can he weld it, or be expected to weld it? How did the weld get placed without a WPS? Anyway, I know that he is now aware that no welding can take place until a WPS is produced so he can follow it.
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 01-25-2013 08:31
But not all welders know how to read. There are many illiterate welders here in Smokey Mountain but highly skillful. They have done the performance test based on actual welding without theory test. I’m just curious on how can you trust the welder that he/she fully understood the use of WPS. Even the CWI needs assistance from welding engineer when  struggling to understand the intent of WPS.

I believe the welding foreman decides which welder to assign to the more difficult welds. The welder must get proper instruction from the foreman. The foreman or the QC inspector who approved the poor joint fit-up must get the blame too. The only concern is when the welder has not concentrating on making good welds because he/she looks on the Inspector as an enemy.

~Joey~
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-25-2013 12:30

>But not all welders know how to read. There are many illiterate welders

Agreed. That is where the company's quality system needs to be tweeked to make sure these problems are addressed. I had a few welders in the past who could not read, but we also worked with them to make sure they knew how to setup their machine to weld within each WPS.
Training welders who work for you is key, otherwise we may never pass an audit. During audits, the auditor talks with our welders to get a feeling of whether or not they understand key elements of the quality system.(WPSs, Pre-heat, Lo-Hi exposure limits, bolting procedures, etc...)
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-22-2013 23:10
Piping codes: per ASME B31.X
QC - contractor's responsibility
QA - Owner's responsibility

This job: Who is the inspector the welder is speaking of? Contractor's QC or Owner's QA?

Did the welder ask questions before welding or after the weld was rejected?

Would the welder have listened to advice offered?

Would the welder in question have followed a WPS if one was available?

Does the welder figured he knew more than anyone else on this project?

Has the welder taken any courses in pipe welding, code compliance, pipe design, or other related subjects?

Does this welder feel its him against a cold cruel world?

Did anyone fulfill their responsibility as assigned by the applicable code or project specification?

Did this job fall under the jurisdiction of a code or was this fast tracked by the Owner or contractor because "It's just pipe?"

Just a few questions that would help me understand.

I admit I don't know all the real facts, but I learned long ago that crap rolls downhill and any weld I made was my responsibility.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Olets and other pipefittings that don't fit
1 2 Previous Next