Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Olets and other pipefittings that don't fit
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-22-2013 23:57
As the OP has not mentioned or referenced any particular construction code, I guess we will all have to partake in a certain amount of guess work about what weld/workmanship standards were required. The fact that an inadequate visual Weld/Root profile cost him his job could lead some to speculate that it was more than a 'Farm Code' standard. However, the real question I see, is not about the fact that Mr Hacksaw feels hard done by the Inspection team, more the fact he was allowed to progress as far as he did. Al's questions are quite telling and pertinent. The fact the Hacksaw was welding an Olet, which costs money and implies some sort of engineering design and that QC were present, would imply that some sort of procedural controls should have been in place. If this was indeed the case, Mr Hacksaw should have been made aware of these and not allowed to proceed out side of the set parameters for either set up or welding. Note, this is not a variable! So, yes I can have some sympathy with Mr Hacksaw. He was a victim of a poor QC system.
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 01-23-2013 01:39 Edited 01-23-2013 01:45
We aren't even talking about the olet anymore. Try to keep up.:lol: The only code I know of is b31.3, which covers process piping inside chemical plants. I will admit that the chemicals being made in this process unit were highly "critical" (dangerous) but not the piping that the olet was being welded on. It was simply a cooling water line.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-23-2013 01:43
I stand corrected!:lol:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-24-2013 22:42
In other words, "it was just pipe.”

Hacksaw, I don't want to appear condescending or to appear to be ridiculing you.

Any piping, whether it is high pressure, Normal, D, or M, the Owner has certain responsibilities defined by the code. In this case, let’s assume B31.3 is applicable. The Owner is responsible to determine which ASME/AWS/API code is applicable. The Owner must define the service class which defines the design, materials, installation, and inspection requirements.

The contractor also has defined responsibilities. Those responsibilities include installing the system as designed, providing the materials specified, installing the system in accordance with the applicable service class, and for quality control.

The Owner’s inspector performs quality assurance functions, i.e., the inspector representing the Owner verifies the contractor met all his assigned responsibilities, including any required NDT (including VT).

All ASME B&PC construction codes and pressure piping codes in general require the contractor to qualify the WPSs used as well as the welders employed on the project. The code states the WPS must be available to those authorized to use or review them. Please recognize I’m paraphrasing the requirements. The contractor, i.e., your employer, should have submitted the WPS and supporting documents to the Engineer/Inspector (Owner’s representative) for review and approval. The contractor should have made the WPS available to you and the other welders (if there were any) as well as to the contractor’s QC.

If the contractor didn’t have a WPS, if the contractor didn’t have a QC program in place, if the contractor didn’t implement the QC program, shame on him and shame on the Owner for allowing work to be done without it.

I go back to my original response to your post. Had the Contractor met his responsibilities and had you received proper instruction we would not be having this discussion.

I just wrapped up a court case where the situation you are describing is very similar to what you have described. The difference was the project I was involved with was a structural steel job and I didn’t get involved until after a collapse had occurred.  The lawyers that hired me were all too happy to see that many of the parties involved did not perform their jobs in accordance with the applicable code. The contractor blamed his supervisor, his foreman, and the workers. The court saw it differently. The contractor is ultimately responsible for the work done by the employees.

You were thrown under the bus because you didn’t ask before doing the work. Whether you thought you knew how to weld the integrally reinforced fitting or not, you should have had written instruction defining how it was to be welded. Real world or not, the perspective changes once the lawyers get involved.

Al
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-24-2013 23:49
I like this 'thrown under the bus' quote. I have noticed it used regularly over here in the US and I will be taking it back to the UK with me! How does it stand up in a employment tribunal?
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 01-25-2013 14:45
Too many lazy or uninformed people in this industry anymore, with far more stringent quality requirements. Hacksaw is right to some extent, its almost impossible to get an answer out of QC or management that will point a welder in the right direction when you hit a wall.
The only good thing about pipe construction is the opportunity to move on to the next one, and remember if your a welder who can't weld- inspect : )
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-27-2013 05:53
I always thought it was "if you can't inspect, you can always become a welder, if you can't weld, you can always be a contractor.":wink:

Al
Parent - By spgtti (**) Date 02-01-2013 00:49
Nope you got that one backwards, most weld inspectors I've met introduce themselves and go into their bio of how they "used to weld" but don't anymore because of.......
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-01-2013 02:15
That must be why I have hung onto the shop, if I ever have a problem inspecting I will just go make some real money welding. :lol: :wink: 

The guys were I am working think I am crazy; drive 1 1/2 hr to get to their shop, work 10 hours, drive back to my shop, work 2-3 hrs, go home.  Do it again the next day.  But, I have a special contract that I average $200/hr when I am welding.  I sure don't make that doing inspections.  Even with the difference of not having the overhead.  My son and hired help do other jobs all day making $85/man hour and I come home and make $4-500  in an evening and/or for some time on a Saturday, if they bring me enough of the parts that I weld.  

So, when I get tired or injured and can't inspect, I can always become a welder and make some real money.  But for now, I live in all three worlds- an inspector with a welding shop that contracts out to others.  :eek:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-28-2013 03:15
I'd urge any of you to read the Pipe Fitting Institute (PFI) standard ES-49.  I have posted it here before (or sent it to individuals, can't remember) but I'll just say in 99% of the cases where O'lets don't fit properly its because someone didn't order them properly.... the do come in all sizes and bevels, etc., change based on wall thickness, and a whole host of other variables... haven't seen anyone mention this but its pretty damned basic stuff.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-28-2013 03:54
Hi Jon,
You are bang on with your comments for Weldolets - they come in all run pipe sizes.
However, the Flexolets are specifically designed for "one size fits all".
This is from the Bonney Forge Catalogue.

Inventory Reduction
The Olet product line,means reduced inventory !
The charts on these pages represent the full range of the Flexolet product run size combinations.
Bonney Forges Flexolet branch connections have been designed to substantially reduce warehouse inventory.

How It Works
Each charted outlet size is designed to fit a number of run pipe sizes.
The drawings on pg. 39 reflect the allowed fit-up gap per MSS-SP-97-2001 specification.
The design of the run curvature is such that, in all instances, the fit-up gap at the top of the run pipe or at the ear section of the fitting will not be more than 1/16". This gap is negligible when welding.

My comments earlier regarding grinding the Olet to fit were based on removing that 1/16" differential prior to welding to enable a perfectly shaped fitting and a perfect root gap.
Obviously if someone has ordered Weldolets to fit a specific run pipe size (eg. 10") and they then try to use to use them on a 3" pipe they are going to have a major problem as the amount of grinding to shape it will probably then make the fitting non-compliant.

Cheers,
Shane
- - By hacksaw (*) Date 01-23-2013 01:55 Edited 01-23-2013 02:35
My previous post:

I was on a job (inside a plant) welding critical chlorine piping, x-rayed to sever cycle. I was advised by the foreman that this is low temp, so I needed to use a low temp wire. He gave me ER80Sb6. I advised him that I didn't believe that this was the correct wire. He said it was. I then went and asked the plant QC. I advised him that I didn't believe this was the correct wire. I was always told that ER80NI1 was for low temp pipe. He then looked at me stupid, and told me to just use whatever the foreman gave me to use. I asked him if it needed a preheat or purge (because I believed ER80b6 to be chrome),and he said no. As I continued to pester him to re-check these things, I got the same drivel that I'm seeing on this forum. He had a lack of concern, leadership, responsibility, or knowledge. Many of the welds didn't pass X-ray because of what I believe to be cracks in the welds, and I got layed off for having to many repairs. I don't know if he was right or wrong, because its hard to get any credible information from people in this industry. But I'm glad I got layed off before that started pumping chlorine through that line.

In the last post I made: I didn't have a written welding procedure, but I had a verbal welding procedure. The verbal welding procedure was to weld it or your fired. And use the TIG wire that the foreman gave you. A welding procedure doesn't get anymore clear than this.

The QC/QA's on this forum still haven't answered my question, anymore than the one on this job did. Can ER80SB6 be used on low temperature piping, and can it produce an X-ray quality weld, without a preheat or purge on it?

The reason I don't trust QC's or WPS's is because if I follow some incompetent directions on the WPS, I still have to put my stencil on it. And if it don't pass X-ray, I have to take the firing. Not the QC.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-23-2013 04:42
Like I stated, You seem to have been short changed with the QC side of things.

Make your mind up what your problem is, you've been given possibly the wrong wire, you knew or at least suspected this and still went ahead and welded the joint with it?
Messed it up because you never fitted the olet to the pipe and were sacked!

What do you call low temp piping? Have you a grade for the pipe?

ER80S-B6 is a 5% Cr wire and really should be welded with Pre-Heat and Post Heat treatment of the completed weld. Most defiantly welded to an approved WPS and qualified PQR.

I have never worked to a verbal WPS!

Can it be used on Lo-Temp Pipe-Yes!
Can it pass X-Ray on Lo-Temp Pipe without purge or pre heat-Yes!
Should it be used-Probably Not!
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 01-23-2013 19:11
mmmmmmmmpphh!!! biting my tongue!! don't say it man, don't say it!!
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-24-2013 13:00
Go on! Say it!
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-23-2013 05:17
We've heard several versions of what happen, several different jobs, seems like he has been run off more than one project. Conclusion: Some people really don't want help.

Did he bother following the link? Don't know, he didn't say.

Work for a crap outfit and you get crap jobs. Build a crap reputation and crap jobs with crap outfits are what you get.

As I tell welders, "Foremen don't get fired, welders do. It is better to walk off a job than to do something you know isn't correct then to get fired for making bad welds."

Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-24-2013 23:50
END OF THREAD!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-25-2013 00:21 Edited 01-25-2013 02:54
Hi Henry!

I believe so, at least as far as welding or QC info goes.

However *** opens a new perspective in light of his legal side take of the situation, don't you think?

Would Mr Hacksaw have legal recourse against his employers against his dismissal for failure to ensure his code compliance whilst performing welds?

A most interesting and informative thread!

Due to edits performed by other members, I have rephrased
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-25-2013 02:13 Edited 01-25-2013 02:16
In other words, "it was just pipe.”

Hacksaw, I don't want to appear condescending or to appear to be ridiculing you. There is a lesson to be learned.

Any piping system, whether it is categorized as High Pressure, Normal, D, or M, requires the Owner to take on certain responsibilities defined by the code. In this case, let’s assume B31.3 is applicable. The Owner is responsible to determine which ASME/AWS/API code is applicable. The Owner must define the fluid service class which defines the design, materials, installation, and inspection requirements.

The contractor also has defined responsibilities. Those responsibilities include installing the system as designed, providing the materials as specified, installing the system in accordance with the applicable fluid service class, and quality control.

The Owner’s inspector performs quality assurance functions, i.e., the inspector representing the Owner verifies the contractor met all his assigned responsibilities, including any required NDT (including VT).

All ASME B&PC construction codes and pressure piping codes (in general) require the contractor to qualify the WPSs used as well as the welders employed on the project. The code states the WPS must be available to those authorized to use or review them. Please recognize I’m paraphrasing the requirements. The contractor, i.e., your employer, should have submitted the WPS and supporting documents to the Engineer/Inspector (Owner’s representative) for review and approval. The contractor should have made the WPS available to the welders as well as to the contractor’s QC.

If the contractor didn’t have a WPS, if the contractor didn’t have a QC program in place, if the contractor didn’t implement the QC program, shame on him and shame on the Owner for allowing work to be done without it.

I go back to my original response to your post. Had the Contractor met his responsibilities and had you received proper instruction we would not be having this discussion.

I just wrapped up a court case where the situation was very similar to what you have described. The difference was the project I was involved with was a structural steel job and I didn’t get involved until after a collapse had occurred.  The lawyers that hired me were all too happy to see that the parties involved did not fulfill their responsibilities in accordance with the applicable code. The contractor blamed his supervisor, his foreman, and the workers. The court saw it differently. The contractor is ultimately responsible for the work done by the employees. The contractor also has the ability to hire and fire workers at will in most states. Where the contractor used to be able to beat or whip the negligent worker, the ability to terminate a worker is now the big stick the contractor wields to bend the worker to his will.

Hacksaw was thrown under the bus because he didn’t ask the question, “How do you want this fitted and welded?” before doing the work. Whether he thought he knew how to weld the integrally reinforced fitting or not, he should have had specific written or verbal instruction defining how it was to be welded. The fact that it was an integrally reinforced fitting is immaterial, the welder could have been directed to do “x y and z,” if the worker does not know how to do it according to a code and doesn’t ask, he is at fault. If he asked and was given specific instruction (written or otherwise) and the instruction given was wrong, the situation is changed dramatically in favor of the worker involved. If the worker followed the foreman’s specific instruction and was then terminated, a case of wrongful discharge could be argued. Real world or not, the perspective often changes once the lawyers get involved.

Al
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 01-25-2013 22:31 Edited 01-26-2013 00:39
Al, I partly agree with you, but if a welder walked off every job that was screwed-up, we would never have a job. Then you would be complaining about your tax money being used for my welfare check. Welders need lunch money too. Over the years, I've heard many QC/QA people tell me to have integrity, and walk off a job when these type of situations happen, yet, I've NEVER seen an inspector walk off a job. He loves his 50 dollar an hour job to much. And I've never had an inspector offer to feed me while I'm standing in the unemployment line (and I probably would be denied unemployment for quitting a job). There is no such thing as "wrongful discharge" where I live.  None of this is in-line with the real world, even though it might hold-up in court. But, that's what insurance companies are for.

And I've never seen inspectors punished for their screw-ups nearly as harshly as welders. Pressure Vessel Inspectors will raise hell (and possibly fire) a welder over a weave put on a vertical weld (because the code calls for stringers), but he won't even notice that huge rust pit in the side of the vessel that's about to blow-up in his face, until the welder points it out to him. Its not the welders job to find this! I could keep my mouth closed, and let er blow, if I followed the same incompetent weasel standards of a third party QA. But then I would have to deal with the death and destruction inside the plant. These type of mistakes happen quite often with QC/QA's. Nobody threatens to fire them, or pull their "U" stamp. And nobody thanks the welder for finding these things. Maybe next time I will keep my mouth shut.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-26-2013 07:28
Mr Hacksaw, which 'CODE' prevents a welder weaving? I've yet to see one! I have seen WPS's that do, but not codes! Believe me, Inspectors get the same deal as welders on most job! Maybe more so, imagine doing time for not doing your job! Quite correct in my opinion.

http://www.ndtcabin.com/news2.php?item=2011010
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 01-26-2013 18:33 Edited 01-26-2013 18:41
I don't know what code doesn't allow this. This is what they have always have told me. They get bent out of shape everytime they see us weave a vertical on a vessel, and tell us it isn't within code. It can't be any wider than 1 1/2 times the diameter of the rod. Like I said before, many of these guys are derelicts. If this is incorrect, then these guys a overpaid and incompetent. I can't argue the welding codes, because I haven't been properly trained. I'm just telling you what they (inspectors) are telling me on these jobs! And there is no WPS!

I read your link. Certainly he got sent to prison for this. A welder could probably get sent to prison for doing something so negligent.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-26-2013 19:47 Edited 01-26-2013 19:51
Hacksaw,
OK, then let's get back to the "real world" that you have to work in.
So, "they get bent out of shape everytime they see us weave a vertical"?
What you are saying, is that this is an Industry Standard (I ran a thread on this a few years ago) and a recognized practice. Apparently this is the way it is done in your world and yet you and your cohorts continually try to "see what you can get away with"??? If every QC you deal with doesn't allow weaves on vessels, then why do it and risk getting run off? Code don't say you can't (BUT THEY DO!). Kinda seems to me it is a poor career move to do so.
Are you wanting to find that brother in arms QC in your area that's gonna say to you "Darn fine looking weaving job there Hacksaw"!
Keep getting ROMF'ed and eventually you'll find him. He aint been on any job you've been on so far so keep up the search.

In an earlier post you say the QC likes their $50/hr job. Yeah, and... Who wouldn't?
Again I quote you.."never seen inspectors punished for their screw-ups ".. If you're not a Chief Inspector or Project Manager how would you know what goes on in the board rooms, conference tables, office, emails and conference calls on a multi-million dollar project??? Trust me, sometimes it aint that much different than in the field with the arguments, and raised voices, foreheads with veins about to burst. Remember, many of us like me, were just like you and moved up from the field, traded in the the hood and the hammer for the office and the clipboard.

Get your CWI, make that big $50 clams an hour, straighten out all those derilect Inspectors and you'll be the hero of all your fellow insufficient penetration, lack of fusion, weave welders.
I once knew a Catholic Priest that disagreed with many of the Vatican's doctrines. We engaged in hours upon end of debates on God, Satan, life, eternity, evil, morality. One day I asked him why he remained a priest with all these radical ideas. His response... "What better way to change the system than from within?"!

In closing, I just wanted to say that when in upper Management, you don't simply drag up. It won't take many times before word gets out and you're blackballed. Besides, it is unprofessional at the very least, and highly immature to do so. As QC, it is very hard (impossible almost?) to get fired for being ethical and code compliant.
There's my 2¢
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-26-2013 15:59
"Nobody threatens to fire them, or pull their "U" stamp." :roll: :lol:

This thread just keeps getting better.

jrw159
Parent - - By hacksaw (*) Date 01-27-2013 03:40
While welders are working out in the 100 degree heat, with sweat running down the crack of our @sses, trying to prevent accidents and incidents, the QC/QA's are sitting inside the air conditioning, debating over what the word "SHALL" means on the paperwork.:twisted:
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-27-2013 04:33
Oh give it up. You are out there with sweat running down your crack FOR THE MONEY. Just like everyone here. Except Henry. Go inspect pontoons in that 100 degree temp with FRC's on. Poor Poor me.
I like what I do, but not enough to do it for free. I believe I do a good job as I stay working and can go back to just about every company I have ever worked for. Except for one, and they still remember the fire when I burnt that bridge. And looking back on that maybe that was not the proper course of action. But I did it, and life went on. Having to to it again, maybe not so much diesel on the bridge.
YOU screwed up, busted a weld and got run off. Maybe it was fair, maybe it was unfair.
Gee, first time I ever heard of that happening.
Go on, and get over it. The best revenge is living well, JUST QUIT WHINING!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-27-2013 15:01
"welders are working out in the 100 degree heat, with sweat running down the crack..."
"QC/QA's are sitting inside the air conditioning"
YES!!! Aint it "F"-ing AWESOME????
And without know-it-all welders that cant even put a simple O-let on without screwing it up, I would have to find another line of work that probably didn't pay a thousand bucks a day.
Oh, and while we are on the subject of cracks... would you welders please hike your pants up so I don't have to see it (save it for your cellmate, OK?)... Ya know, on those cool days when I come out of the office!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-27-2013 17:16
Well from this perspective, everything is right in the world.

Welder makes terrible weld in O-let

Inspector runs off welder that made terrible weld.

To quote George W. Bush.

"Mission Accomplished"
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-27-2013 17:38 Edited 01-27-2013 17:43
That's funny.

I'd say coming from the welder perspective that the right move would be to learn to weld an o-let proper like and all groovy, and don't try to blame others and air your dirty laundry on the interwebs.

Everybody gets a raw deal from time to time, welder, inspector, grocery clerk, the course forward is to take some education from those instances, log them in the cranial database and be mo better prepared next time. Oh and pick places/fields to work where everybody's responsibility is a little better spelled out at the get go. A couple simple questions can hone that down, if they can't/won't answer your questions then it's prob time to move on.
The human factor has and always will exist in the workplace, some days it's fair but most days it's not. If you know what's expected of you and work above those standards life gets more happy. Some fields this is easier than others.

But worldwide whining never really helps.

J

I'll add that I've seen entire inspection crews (from chief to weld loggers) get run off first thing in the mornin'
Nobody is indespensable, they were welding pipe before we were all born and they'll continue after we're all dead.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-27-2013 04:12
Humm, caught that too. Have yet to meet a inspector that had a "U" or "R" stamp. Know a lot of shops that have them. But they have those nasty ole WPS and PQR's and make the welders have WPQ's. And those shops do Section XIII PV work, not 31.1 piping.
And 31.3 as the ASME 31 series is a construction code, not a welding code. The welding part is Section IX. But welders dont know any of this stuff.
And a branch connection requires a full penetration weld. Regardless of the fit up. I have seen a 8 on 12 O let with a 1/4 inch gap in two quarters and 1/16 in the other two. GTAW root and HP with LH fill and cap. Up in the rack with the welder standing on his head with a blind quarter. The welder made the weld and it passed visual and PT and MT. But the welder that can do that are few and far between. Also this guy could do a slick open root 7018.

When I start seeing absolute terms like "always" "never" "nobody", etc I have to discount what is being said. A specific inspector or welder doing something on a specific project, OK, but those absolute terms to descrbe all projects, welders and inspectors is simply not true.
If I was as disgusted with everyone always doing this and nobody doing anything then there is nothing anybody can do, so the best course of action would be to shake the dust of this profession off ones shoes and persue another endevor where everyone would always do things where nobody would ever have issues with the work.
Bet it does not pay rig wages though.
But I could be wrong.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 01-27-2013 05:24 Edited 01-28-2013 04:55
"I've NEVER seen an inspector walk off a job."

Hacksaw, my friend, I venture to say you have no CWIs on the jobs you work.

I know of several inspectors, including me, that have walked off jobs where the Engineer or Owner did not support the inspector when things were not code compliant. And yes, it does mean walking away from a paycheck, but a CWI without integrity is in for a short career.

"Again I quote you.."never seen inspectors punished for their screw-ups ".."

Tell that to the welding inspector from Newport News that is doing a three year stretch in federal prison for falsifying inspection reports. I'm happy to say he isn't and never was a CWI.

Buck up little fella and find a company that knows how to meet code. Next step, get some training that is relevant to you chosen trade. Learn something about the codes you work with and then, just maybe, these incompetent inspectors will not ******** you. Rather than stopping for a few cold brews on the way home or watching the game on television, sit down with the code you work with. Yes, be prepared to spend several hundred dollars to buy your own copy. If you visit a college or university in your area they may have a copy of the code you can read and study.

You have filled two tumblers with tears since you started this post. It's time for you to do something constructive. Buy some books and start reading.

Next time when you have a disagreement with an inspector you will know what you are talking about rather than spouting from the sphincter.

Real world? You have no idea. Real world does not mean working ignorant of how to do it right. Real world doesn't mean working with idiots. You can get away with it for a while, but it will catch up with the perpetrators sooner or later.

"I was looking for a job when I found this one." Just because you need a paycheck to pay bills isn't justification to take a job if you are not qualified or to take a job that requires you to do something illegal or immoral. I'm sure there are a number of people serving time that justify their activities because they needed the money.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Olets and other pipefittings that don't fit
1 2 Previous Next