Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / RT
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-04-2013 23:53
We change out-side venders that RT our parts and the new vender doesn't mark where the porosity or tungsten inclusion are we have to figure that out ourselves. My question is there a book that tells you how.

M.G.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-05-2013 03:09
You mean from the films?
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 05-05-2013 06:20
Hi Milton

The RT report should state the location from where the defect starts, and where it stops. The NDT technician should mark on the pipe the zero reference, and the direction in which the measurement has been taken. (Usually done with an arrow.) With this information, it is easy enough to find the location of the defect/s. If you component is more complex, then the RT report should have a sketch showing the location of defects.

If at all practical, you should ask the NDT technician to go and mark the job to show exactly where the defect is located. This will reduce the potential for making mistakes.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-05-2013 15:49
I ask the EOR to try an get them to mark the bad spots for use on part itselve .To me it is hard to look at the film an tell where the spot is even when he circles the spot.

M.G.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-05-2013 22:26 Edited 05-05-2013 22:32
A good backlight to tape the film on...I never could see stuff holding it up to light source. Like ozenik said the film should have a mark and that start point should be marked on your part....without that reference mark your blind and chasing ghosts as far as repairs are concerned.

I will say NDT guys that chalk up the part I appreciate a lot more.  But some of em just give you an envelope of films and a list.

FAR AS a backlight if you don't have anything......a simple ceiling mount type four bulb florescent fixture with the light diffusing cover lights up those films really well....the defects will be fairly bright and you can look at a four foot strip at a time.  Good luck with it.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-06-2013 00:33
Milton,
Not sure what code you are working to but this is from AWS D1.1,

6.17.12 Identification Marks. A radiograph identification mark and two location identification marks shall
be placed on the steel at each radiograph location. A corresponding radiograph identification mark and two
location identification marks, all of which shall show in the radiograph, shall be produced by placing lead numbers or letters, or both, over each of the identical identification and location marks made on the steel to provide a means for matching the developed radiograph to the weld.

C6.17.12 Identification Marks. This subsection describes all information required to identify the radiograph
and also provides methods for matching the radiograph to the weld joint, so that weld repairs, when
necessary, may be made without repetitive or unnecessarily large excavations. Radiograph identification marks and location identification marks shall be used to locate discontinuities requiring repair and to verify that unacceptable discontinuities have been repaired as demonstrated by the subsequent repair radiograph

If for example you have an A and a B shown on the radiograph then you should have an A and B marked on the part that has been radiographed.
Take the paper sleeve that the film came in (or other see through paper) and make what is called a "tracing".
Lay the paper on top of the radiograph while it is on the viewer and lightly copy/transfer the A, the B and the defect onto the tracing paper.
Now lay the paper on the part so the A and B match up and you can then mark the location of the defect.
If you can draw the size and shape of the defect accurately it greatly assists the person that is performing the excavation.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-10-2013 23:29
We sent 10 parts that had fell the RT to get check again and 6 passed and 4 had porosity but this time they marked the spots. I looked at the parts this afternoon and saw that I had repaired the wrong side of the part. The welding code that we are using is 12479550.

M.G.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-11-2013 01:17

wow im very out of date:confused:

Hope ya get it straightened out Milton.
Best Regards
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 05-11-2013 01:59
Newbie question-- Can the defects be seen with the naked eye while carefully grinding down?
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-11-2013 02:11 Edited 05-11-2013 02:16
probably not unless they are glaring really wtf defects. Like lohy wagon tracks full of flux or something...i have looked at those and seen them ground out....you can see those at removal because usually they are long.   Depends on code but most inclusion or other defects per inch (except for undercut or other cap issues) that exceed code are usually small little pin pricks unless something went way wrong.  All the ones of my own I have had to repair could not be seen after smearing in with a grinder or gouging out....the film said it was there, remove that meat and replace reshoot and carry on.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-11-2013 14:33
Tommy it is called Ground Combat Vehicle Welding Code - Steel you can check it out on the internet. Got to go working today.

M.G.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-11-2013 14:49
If you know where the defects are then yes thats the only true way to fine them. If you try to machine the defects out you might and might-not see them.

M.G.
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 05-12-2013 02:18
Thanks, appreciate the advice.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-17-2013 01:03
We sent 50 more of the parts to be RT first of the week and was told this afternoon that all 50 past. Did you all hear scream an holler.We have 45 more and I have my fingers cross.LOL

M.G.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-17-2013 11:16
Most rounded indications can. 50/50 for linears.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / RT