Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 5F GMAW Pipe to Plate cert?
- - By FrOg Date 07-15-2004 03:47

how is a 5F GMAW Pipe to Plate certification inspected
for pass/fail?

is it x-rayed?

is it etched?

how do they inspect for cold welds?

Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-15-2004 11:59
You dont say what code your working with but if I take ASME IX for example you would do a visual, cut, etch, & break. RT isnt a good choice for most fillet configurations. I'm not sure what you mean by 'they' or cold welds, sorry.
Parent - - By FrOg Date 07-15-2004 13:20
code D1.1 ... "they" is refering to the CWI ..... and "cold weld" is what the CWI failed it for .... ????
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-15-2004 15:16
well, D1.1-2004, Table 4.10 gives a variety of options for testing fillet welds but most require a macroetch and a break test. "Cold weld" is not a preferred term, perhaps the CWI meant "overlap" and no overlap is acceptable under D1.1 criteria (Paragraph, 5.24 Weld Profiles). Best of luck in the future, if I may make a suggestion? Perhaps if you could somehow get a copy of the Code criteria then you may be able to at least be aware of that criteria and perhaps speak with the CWI if things like this come up again.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 07-15-2004 19:20
The way I read it, 5F Plate to pipe is macroetch only. Fillet option 3, the other options apply to plate welds.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By FrOg Date 07-16-2004 01:16
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I am book smart .... If he stated "overlap", then I would have understood .... as there are 2 beads starting @ 12 o'clock, one clockwise and one counter-clockwise ... I could see how one could "overlap" but I had awesome penetration and from a visual inspection the weld "LOOKED" sound .... no pourosity, no overlap ..... ?????
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 07-16-2004 02:54
Well....overlap is a lack of fusion along the toe of a final weld bead. It can also occur on the root pass It is a surface defect. It is also called "cold roll" (another nonstandard term). Maybe the inspector had this term in mind when he talked to you. We always save the failed test coupons or x-ray film for a short while just in case the welder wants to review them. Sometimes it's their job that is riding that test. Why don't you call the inspector and ask him to explain and show you what went wrong?
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 07-15-2004 15:26
In addition to the comments from Jon, The inspector may be be talking about incomplete fusion due to cold lap. (subsurface, between beads or between a weld bead and parent material).
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-15-2004 15:59
Yep, hard to say exactly but that too could be an option. It seems to me (personally) that the CWI may have been inadvertently talking down to FrOg in an attempt to put the observations in layman terms.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-15-2004 20:22
Table 6.1 is the "visual acceptance criteria" that is also used, before the destructive testing starts, get a copy of that as well. make sure it passes all of that before bothering with cutting it up for the bends and etching.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 5F GMAW Pipe to Plate cert?