Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / RT instead of bend testing
- - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 01-28-2014 19:23
Just opened the section 9 for the first time, Im doing a PQR for 1" stainless tubing .035 wall.  Now I bent straps for the PQR and have tension pulls ready. Now for the next welder Qualification, not the one who welded the PQR, is there a way I can substitue RT for bend testing?  Just getting used to the code. As of right now I dont see that happening so Im going to bend them. But for the future...

-J
Parent - - By Jovi Zhu (**) Date 01-30-2014 07:20
As permitted in QW-304 & 305, volumetric NDE (UT/RT) can be alternatively used for performance qualification.
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 01-30-2014 16:39
Thank you

Jordan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-30-2014 13:28 Edited 01-30-2014 13:37
Not speaking to compliance here... Just to my own personal opinion.

I see very little value to RT on austinetic stainless sheet or tube under .90 in thickness.

If something has gone wrong that isn't clearly found on the visual inspection, on thin material RT is pretty useless in my opinion...

For example:  A tungsten inclusion that is large enough to be rejectable is prolly gonna be poking out of a piece of .035 coupon.

Destructive bend testing has more value here if you are trying to build quality into your systems....

Things like carbide precipitation or embrittlement will not be sniffed out by RT.

RT may be quick and easy, but again, I don't see it really boosting your quality system much.

Edit
Sometimes we get in "compliance mode"  and look for the best/easiest ways to satisfy the code and can forget that the time we spend on testing should have *production value*.    I'm NOT pointing fingers here... Just a thing I have dealt with and thought to share.
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 01-30-2014 16:46
Lawrence-

I would agree with you, these are quite thin, and they are 1G.  I asked because we get boxes of welder quals to the same specs. Once the initial PQR samples are put through destructive testing, its easy to just RT everything after that.  Destructive will surely show more.  The values for the tensile pulls was way above the required levels also.

Thanks
Jordan
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 02-01-2014 17:56
For RT WPQ acceptance criteria look at:
QW-190 OTHER TESTS AND EXAMINATIONS
QW-191 Radiographic Examination

Particularly:

b) Rounded Indications
(1) The maximum permissible dimension for rounded
indications shall be 20% of t or 1⁄8 in. (3 mm), whichever
is smaller.
(2) For welds in material less than 1⁄8 in. (3 mm) in
thickness, the maximum number of acceptable rounded
indications shall not exceed 12 in a 6 in. (150 mm) length
of weld. A proportionately fewer number of rounded indications
shall

20% of .035" is .007" Good for James Bond movies but not for welder pass rates.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 02-01-2014 17:39 Edited 02-01-2014 17:41
MRWeldSoCal,
Sect IX allows VT/Mech Test or RT for WPQ's but I don't see UT as an approved NDE method…

Also, on tubes that thin, the acceptance criteria will be more stringent so, IMO, bending the specimens will result in a higher pass rate.

QW-305.1 Examination. Welds made in test coupons
may be examined by radiography (QW-302.2) or by visual
and mechanical examinations (QW-302.1, QW-302.4).
Alternatively, a minimum 3 ft (1 m) length of the first
production weld(s) made entirely by the welding operator
in accordance with a qualified WPS may be examined by
radiography.

Look at the below table in Sect. IX for more info.

QW-452.1 Groove-Weld Test. The following tables identify the required type and number of tests and the thickness
of weld metal qualified.
QW-452.1(a)
Parent - - By Jovi Zhu (**) Date 02-02-2014 08:48
swsweld,

The 2013ed IX:
QW-305.1 Examination. Welds made in test coupons may be examined by volumetric NDE (QW-302.2) or by visual and mechanical examinations ( QW-302.1, QW-302.4). Alternatively, a minimum 3 ft (1 m) length of the first production weld(s) made entirely by the welding operator in accordance with a qualified WPS may be examined by volumetric NDE.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 02-02-2014 16:45
Thanks for the update Jovi Zhu.
I won't have access to 2013 Edition for another week so I'm working from the codes on my PC, not the most current. I wasn't aware that they changed QW-305.1 to allow volumetric NDE beyond RT. Good to know.
Parent - By Jovi Zhu (**) Date 02-03-2014 00:48
You are welcome, swsweld,
I noticed that not only IX, some other sections of the ASME B&PV Code also changed to volumetric NDE, probably due to the development of UT techniques these years~
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / RT instead of bend testing