Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Electrode group F numbers
- - By clinkerforge (*) Date 07-10-2014 15:57
Can someone please explain to me how the electrode F numbers work?
I am unclear on the whole F number system and the web search that I have done so far provides little information. I have found the ASME chart and Fnumbers.com.
I have also read in a post on this forum board that qualifying in a higher f number covers you for a lower f number EX: Welder qualifies for innershield wire= f6 that also would qualify for 7018=f4.
Can someone clarify this and also direct me to the proper section in D1.1 to find this info? I will be dealing with inspectors that are not familiar with welding codes and I want to be clear on this when I get there.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-10-2014 16:35
I am not sure in what context you are speaking of completely.

In AWS D1.1 there is NO F-6 listed as an F number in Table 4.13 so it does not apply. Table 4.12 item 2 specifically says "To an SMAW Electorde with an F-number higher.......) indicating F number is only an consideration for SMAW

ASME handles F Numbers differently and for tyhe most part says the same thing but addresses more Fnumbers.

Regardless, F Number is NOT the only consideration. For any of the variables to work within their range, all other variables must be within the range of qualification. Keep the same F Number but change another variable (Position, Process, Thickness, Backing, Progressions,  etc...)  In you example below you refer to F6 which is NOT an SMAW F Number but then you refer to 7018. In that case the statement changes the process so another variable is changed.

If you are not intimately familar with "The codes" I would strongly caution questioning anyone else in a production setting until you become more familar.

As far as D1.1 Clause 4 will address what you need to know regarding variables for performance qualification.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 07-10-2014 16:47
Basically, D1.1 F numbers are assigned to SMAW electrodes (F1 through F4) based on their operational characteristics…. i.e., how easy they are to use.  I’ve often heard the F number referred to as the Frustration number.  SMAW electrodes are assigned a higher F number in conjunction with an increased skill level.  A welder qualifying with a higher electrode F number is qualified to weld using an electrode with a lower F number, but not vice versa.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-10-2014 17:27

>F-No = Frustration Number

That is awesome!

Here is something I scanned regarding F-Nos and I do not remember where I copied this from, but it serves well for reference.
Attachment: AWSF-Nos.pdf (136k)
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 07-11-2014 17:59
John,
magnesium at f-91?????????
a little low in my book:wink::lol:
more like f-9,000,000:eek:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-10-2014 17:54
Clinton,

F numbers are not as easily applied to your statement as many think.  Just because it has a higher number does not mean the welder is good to go on anything that is a lower number.  As the guys have already stated, that is only on F1-F4 SMAW electrodes.  If you qualify with an F3 electrode you cannot weld  (to a code applicable job) with an F4 electrode.  If you qualify with an F1 you are really limited.  Qualifying with an F4 (low hydrogen electrodes) qualifies you to weld with any of the carbon steel SMAW electrodes. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-10-2014 18:01
Just something to add though I am confident many are aware of this..
Qualifying with an F4 (low hydrogen electrodes) qualifies you to weld with any of the carbon steel SMAW electrodes ... provided all other variables remain the same
Parent - - By clinkerforge (*) Date 07-11-2014 14:48
Thanks for all of the responses. I do have some exposure to code requirements and I do understand essential variables such as position, size of electrode and of course process. I have recently had to re-certify due to a lapse in getting my papers updated. I have been working as a welder but we usually deal with an IOR (Inspector of Record) in our line of work. They will not update our papers so the inspector at our training center requires a new test. They use the F number on the cert papers. I have never had this on my papers before and the D1.1 that I have is 1992 so it does not have this info. I do have access to more up to date D1.1 at our training center.
So if a person certifies with F-4 he will be qualified for F-1,F-2 & F-3 electrodes. Providing all other variables remain the same. This information can be found in section 4 and table 4.12
I do want to educate myself on this before I go out to the job.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-11-2014 16:54
We both said it, it must be true !  

Bonjour :)

Gerald
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-11-2014 21:37
F numbers are a means of grouping filler metals. In the beginning, when SMAW was "King of the Mountain," the F numbers had more validity. As mentioned by several of our community, F1 through F4 are SMAW covered electrodes used on carbon and high strength low alloy steels. The F5 group are SMAW covered electrodes used for joining stainless steels. As already mentioned, the lower the F number the less skill needed to deposit a sound weld. That works for F1 through F4, but F5 used to designate a SMAW covered electrode for use with stainless steel is a different bird. Working with AWS structural codes, only F1 through F4 come into play. With ASME Section IX, a welder qualified with an F5 electrode is also qualified for F1, but never, never forget that the letters A, S, M, E have special meanings. A - Always, S - sometimes, M - Maybe, and last, but not least; E - Except. Any blanket statements regarding ASME usually forgets or overlooks the provisions that constitutes A, S, M, or E.

Once you reach F6; it is a dumping ground for all filler metals used to join ferrous metals. It wasn't always the case. AWS used different F numbers to differentiate filler metals used with different welding processes. You would have to look at a copy of B2.1 from the late 70's or early 80's to see the break down used by AWS. Then, for some reason, maybe they got totally drunk or smoked some weed at a B2.1 committee meeting, for what ever reason or lack there of, they decided to go the way of ASME and adopt their F number system. It has been down hill from that time forward.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By EL SUICIDA Date 06-11-2016 23:29
said that the question arises as to place in the scope of qualification of welders .... for example if you qualify with what would be the ER70 S6 qualified if there is no number "f" range? ASME you rate all f6. regards
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-12-2016 12:30 Edited 06-12-2016 12:34
Simple, AWS D1.1 only uses them for welder qual if the welder is using SMAW. F numbers and ease of use only applies to SMAW, there are no differences in the ease of use for processes other than SMAW as far as D1.1 is concerned. That is as clear as I can state it, maybe someone else will jump in with a better explanation.

Al
Parent - By EL SUICIDA Date 06-14-2016 03:03
Perfect!!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Electrode group F numbers