Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / VR Training, Augmented Reality, Motion Tracking
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-14-2014 13:16
We have received and setup a Realweld system at our training center and I am curious if anyone on the forum has used any type of technology to augment their training and have they seen any results?

I have not had an opportunity to start any classes yet but I do have a database of hours for student training to accomplish various tasks (Pad weld, Tee Joints etc) . Of course within that data set there is wide range of hours however I think I will be able to gather data over a year or so and see if there is a difference.

I am curious if anyone else has looked into their own training times and compared before and after results with any of the technology thats available. I see tons of endorsements, case studies, and other advertising info but has anyone here done this?

I think the realweld sytem is going to be useful for evaluating an individuals ability to control travel speed, work/travel angles, CTWD/Arc length, and joint tracking however the jury will be out for awhile as to its "Value".  I can see it as EXTREMELY useful for providing real time monitoring of what a student is doing with his/her hands without actually having to be there. The instant audio feedback seems useful too and seemed to respond quickly when I change a variable.

Anyway, any information, thoughts, suggestions, experiences are appreciated.

Also, if ANYONE is in the Northeast Tenneseee area and would like to come by and check it out, they can. 6626600162 is still my cell or just send me a message here. The welding center is not yet opened and I am still getting things together but the realweld trainer is setup and working.

Thanks

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-14-2014 16:42
This is the EWI hotwork version ?

If yes.. I did a demo of this system about 2 years ago...  I liked it quite a bit..

Less expensive than the Lincoln Virtual and more practical because it collect data while doing hotwork.

But as far as value?    I would not spend a penny of operating budget on any of these...  If grant money falls from the heavens, that's another story.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-14-2014 19:08
It is the one where you weld. There is also an ARC Off option.

I am not sure of its value as of yet myself. It does seem to be a tool that would minimize the need to "look over the shoulder" when trying to correct some errors. I often have had students come to me with a coupon with undercut and I tell them its either from electrode positio, angle, arc length, settings, travel speed, or any combination of those. After the weld has been made, its hard to pin down.

I think the concept is great and the tool is useful. Just not sure if its going to be something that pays for itself but I am going to put it to use.

It was priced better than the "Non Welding" system that I looked at. I think there will be some interesting applications though. I am interested in going to the conference next week to see if there are any real world results that can be reviewed.

With the advances in technology happening so rapidly I would think there are some great applications for motion sensing technology. Welding being one of them.

One idea I have is bringing in a set of welders from a company, letting them make a specific weld, reviewing all of the data, then coming up with a averaged set for employee testing or skill verification. The proof is in the weld but the machine seems extremely sensitive to movement. It will record things that do not show up on the outside surface of the weld.

As I am setting up the program, I am thinking the money would have been better used for some simpler things but it is what it is. Got a long way to go. Back to attaching wheels to some miller prefab tables (I think the Realweld is a better value).

Have a good day

Gerald
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-14-2014 20:28 Edited 07-14-2014 20:30
I think you are seeing the "RealWeld" thing exactly right.

It will take up-front work on your part to teach it to record the values you judge best for each weld/project/exercise.

I would suspect that the RealWeld folks may have some of these values (for typical exercises) in the can for you.

Shorten the learning curve... probably

Pay for itself  ... I don't think so

But lack of ROI is not really a worry at this point since you already have the thing...  Enjoy it :)

Edit:
BTW.... If you have any Lincoln Powerwaves that are fairly new, they have some parameter data monitoring that can be put in a "teach mode" as well...   If yes.. I can help with that :)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / VR Training, Augmented Reality, Motion Tracking