Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS Qualification - Position Qualification Test 6G - Groove
- - By neto-porto Date 07-16-2014 02:12
What conditions in which the qualification test tubular can production plate welding qualified position?
By my interpretation in table 4.1 (note a), I make a WPS qualification test in the position 6G on progression of straight line welding along a parallel to the axis of circular pipe, but the code does not inform the rotation of the face. Is to send a sketch?

Thanks
Best regards
Neto
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-16-2014 02:39
Neto,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Now, I'm sorry, but I am just not following your question.  Can you try this again? 

Off hand though, if I am even close, if the WPS is qualified with a 6G then when invoking the note a items face rotation is not an issue since it was qualified for ALL positions when using the 6G. 

Now, what about this: "Is to send a sketch?"  :confused:  send a sketch to where, who, why? 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-16-2014 20:44
Yes. If  you qualify on plate you can weld along the axis of a pipe in any position provided that axis is within the range of the plate position qualified. For example if a pipe were inclined at a 45 degree angle you would be qualified to weld along the axis of the pipe as shown in figure 4.1.

Production welds ARE NOT classified as 6G or any other XG Test position. They are either flat horizontal vertical or overhead. (Figure 4.1 and 4.2). Test positions are adressed in Fig 4.3-4.5.

I hope I interpreted your question. Your English is much better than any of my languages besides English.

Gerald Austin
- By 803056 (*****) Date 07-16-2014 20:38 Edited 07-16-2014 20:45
Sketches are always helpful.

A picture is worth a 100 words, a good sketch is worth more.

The pipe axis is held stationary with an inclination of 45 degrees to horizontal (Earth). The rotation of the weld face is zero on the underside of the pipe (the 6 O'clock position), inclination of the face is at 45 degrees to Earth. As the welder works around the circumference of the pipe, the rotation and inclination is always changing. The inclination is 45 degrees to Earth as the welder approaches the 12:00 O'clock position, but the rotation is 180 degrees (upward toward the sky) relative to Earth.

Best regards - Al
- By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-16-2014 21:04
Judging by our answers, I hope he understands us better than we understand him  :lol:
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS Qualification - Position Qualification Test 6G - Groove