Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Abilities based upon having a class vs NOT
Poll What do you think could improve the abilities of CWI's on the job.
Better pre-screening prior to testing 14 41%
Increase Test Length 0 0%
Increase Test Difficulty/Cutoff Score 9 26%
Mandatory Training Classes prior to testing. 1 3%
Delay from Date of Training to Date of Test 2 6%
Probation after Certification with Peer/Employer Review 0 0%
Mandatory Annual Testing 0 0%
I don't feel there is a problem. 1 3%
Don't let them stay up late posting on a forum 1 3%
Other 6 18%
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-28-2014 03:06
During the educational Conference this past week there were a great deal of comments and discussions. I probably ran my mouth a bit too much. At the end there was an open forum to throw out some comments to the panel. A few comments were made regarding the inability of CWI's to perform certain functions. One of the people in the audience indicated he felt mandatory classroom training would help.

I already had a few things I wanted to bring up and during most of the conference I had probably used more than my allotted time so I refrained from saying anything. But just the suggestion that the ability of a CWI is improved by taking a 2 week class blew me away.

Wonder what others may feel about this? The possibility exists that maybe I felt so strongly due to the fact that I never took a prep class for the CWI exam. However as a CWI I don't think I have come across anything I didn't understand because I didn't learn to tab and highlight my code book.

I think that if those who took a course were required to wait a period of time before taking the test it could improve the likelihood that there was some actual retention.

I don't know the answer but I would think that someone who takes the test without the course and passes represents a different type of knowledge than someone who completed a course of Friday and tested  on Saturday.

And maybe I "mis-listened".

Gerald
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-28-2014 03:39
Gerald,

You missed what I would consider to be important so I am commenting rather than using your poll.

I think the problem is that everyone thinks the CWI exams and certification is the final goal and catch all/end all.  IT IS NOT!!  There is such a wide variety of actual work applications that there is no way it can do that.

If one looks through all the associated documents, codes, specifications, etc you find that employers are still to do their own training and testing prior to throwing the inspector to the wolves on the floor. 

The AWS/CWI program is just the beginning, not the end. 

Having said that, I can agree that there is a great need for more documentation of experience and training prior to taking the CWI in the first place.  And you can never have too much education as far as I am concerned but where do we draw the line?  A college degree?  A Master's Degree?  In what? 

I know, you didn't say that.  But, once you start down that path you better have a plan, goals, purpose.  And when do we do the same with welders, fitters, grinders?  In house QC, should they be required to be CWI's instead of getting a pass just because the employer says they are qualified by experience and knowledge?  That would sure make my job easier. At least if they were then 'required' to do their job to a certain standard. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-28-2014 10:17
I think that  often times we organizations think of "certification" as a fix all solution for a system that doesn't work to begin with. I think testing and certification is a great way to get started,  but lets not depend on that piece of paper to assure that our employees are doing what is expected. Let them know what is expected, monitor their performance, coach them where needed, and move them up in responsibility.

My intent in the "Better pre-screening prior to testing" item was in relation to documentation of experience.

I don't know about now, but when I certified 1st time many years ago, the industry I worked in had few CWI's. Yet the industry prospered. However within that industry, all of the companies involved were required to have a documented quality control system that addressed many of their tasks. I think Certification is fine, but its never going to be the magic solution to assure knowledge and ability. Just another tool to help assure a minimum level of knowledge. Certification (Inspector/Welder or Other) is no replacement for sound screening of individuals and a well documented quality system that addresses qualification and training requirements.

Thanks for your response Brent. Not sure how the poll would go over. Figured I would try it.

Gerald
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 07-28-2014 03:50
Gerald
One word
experience
hope this helps
sincerely
Kent
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-28-2014 10:23
Thanks Kent. But with experience only, it would have taken me years to be able to pass the exam. The study time that I put into it was based upon an interest in welding with no knowledge of the CWI program for most of that time. I do think some way to better confirm related experience would be nice. And maybe that is done now. Maybe someone goes over in detail what is on an application, makes a few calls, and sends the application on down. Or not.

My concern is a "Mandatory Course" would probably lead to a "Mandatory Paid Course" and thus be a burden to those who have dedicated many hours to  self study.
Parent - - By rjtinsp (*) Date 07-28-2014 20:21
I think the CWI program is fine the way it is.  Although it wouldn't hurt to audit more applicants experience. The employer is responsible for ensuring that their employee is qualified to perform their job tasks. Most employers could definitely do a better job of training a new CWI and not throwing the person in the fire expecting them to learn on their own.
Whenever this subject crosses my mind I think of all of the opportunity there is to make money offering development courses to inspectors on subjects like report writing, industry codes and standards, introduction to NDT etc. There is a hole to be filled especially these days when employees jump around so much and need to seek out training and personal development on their own.

Ramon
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2014 14:48
Good points, but the bottom line is whether there is sufficient demand to make the endeavor profitable. Is the client willing to pay the freight? It costs money to hire and train instructors, develop the training program, hire a facility to offer the training, and all the little details required to offer training. Let's never forget the cost of insurance.

What is your price point you would be willing to pay for additional training? AWS, ASME, and other organizations offer a plethora of training are different venues. They discount the cost of attending the classes to people that are members of their organization. The discounts often cover the cost of membership if one takes advantage of their offerings.

May I ask how many training classes you’ve attended? Or do you consider the cost of attending the courses more than you are willing to pay out-of-pocket. Do you attend additional training only when your employer is willing to pay all the expenses of attending the course? I am not trying to point a finger at you or anyone else, I am only trying to make the point that training isn't free. Someone has to pay the freight. Just something to think about.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By rjtinsp (*) Date 07-29-2014 19:54
I realize that training isn't free and have payed for the majority of the training classes and seminars that I have attended. I have also volunteered a decent amount of my time teaching and organizing training courses and am very familiar with the amount of effort that goes into putting on a class. For the types of classes that I have in mind I believe that there is a demand on the local level that would make it worth it. In general to improve the value of a new CWI I think that training on the basic inspector responsibilities would be beneficial and help ease the learning curve.

Ramon
Parent - - By IowaCWI (*) Date 07-28-2014 22:16
I'm going to go with "Better pre-screening." I have known more than one employer who was less than honest when it came time to fill out the experience section of the CWI test application. Now generally, these individuals with little to no experience fail. But occasionally, they do pass. That individual quickly finds themself in a situation where they are making decisions on matters they know very little about. And instead of aquiring the needed information they seem to be more inclined to just go with their best guess. I have also seen the same type of thing happen with recorded hours for NDT certification. I have actually met lvl II UT personnel that couldn't calibrate the machine they had been using for the past 2 years. In my experience, this seems to be the biggest problem that I have run into. I don't know how this problem could be corrected but I do know this type of behavior undermines the certification process and calls everyones certification into question.

I would like to apologize for being negative when I comment. I read this forum a couple of times everyday trying gain more knowledge from all of you. I generally only comment when the subject draws it out of me. This subject is one that I feel very strongly about, therefore it was very difficult not to comment :grin: Hopefully at some point I will be more confident in the information I can provide to others and have more positive contributions.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2014 14:38
Central certification by professional organizations such as AWS, API, ASQ, and ASNT serve as an unbiased basis of verifying the candidate understands the principles of the test method or the discipline covered by the certification. However, rarely do they include a practical demonstration of the candidate's ability to implement or apply the knowledge in a real world situation.

The employer still has the legal responsibility to ensure the individual is capable of performing the work. Under perfect conditions the employer can operate a perfectly legitimate qualification program if they have the desire to do so. That is the basic premise of ASNT's SNT-TC-1A. However, money and the need to turn a profit in a competitive environment results in a less than perfect situation. Thus, we have CP-189 which doesn't allow the contractor as much latitude in how they qualify and certify their employees. Still, the system can be fudged. it isn't a perfect world.

The Owner also has a responsibility to verify the contractor/laboratory hired has the capability to perform the work. How often does the price quoted the key determinant in deciding who gets the job?

It isn't a perfect world. It is the nature of man to cut corners, to maximize profits, etc. That is what keeps lawyers in business.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-30-2014 02:51
Parent - By rjtinsp (*) Date 07-30-2014 05:17
Ooooh...that's worthy of it's own thread. Iv'e heard about ANDE and didn't realize until now that they have come this far with it.

Ramon
Parent - - By RideKTM (*) Date 07-30-2014 19:09
I think there should be some sort of follow up training as I have seen a couple of CWI's reports that were horrendous, granted I agree you need experience as you go. I have commented on this before also that my thoughts are if you don't pass the CWI exam the first time there should be a waiting period before you can take it again such 1 year. I know of two CWI's that took the test three times back to back in order to pass it neither one of them had any structural welding background at all just some small GMAW production welding. I use the saying: "If you put a type writer and unlimited amount of paper in a monkey cage sooner or later one of the monkeys will write a novel"  Or maybe that should be a welding code..........:lol:
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-30-2014 19:30
I know a Quality Manager for a Steel Fabricator that failed 2 or 3 times that I would love to have on my side when it comes to welding inspection, quality control, and code application issues.

He's taken the class 2x. But even before he went he was pretty sharp.
Parent - By RideKTM (*) Date 07-30-2014 20:44
I agree 100% that there are people with years of experience that may fail the test, maybe they are bad "test" takers or a portion they were not prepared for. And there are lot of people that aren't CWI's that probably have way more experience than 10 CWI's put together. But I am talking someone with less than 6 months welding experience simply taking it over and over. Thats why I feel there should be a "waiting" period for more experience or studying if you fail it the first time and possibly with the exception if you failed by less than a certain portion ie: if you failed by one question, yes you should be able to take it again right away but if you fail with only getting 40% do you think that person is ready?
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-28-2014 13:25 Edited 07-28-2014 19:35
I think Brent is on the right track regarding the CWI program. There are three levels of certifications. We all know the limitations of the CAWI, but many people seem to overlook the portions of AWS B5.1 that defines the responsibilities of the CWI and the scope of the work that a CWI is expected to fulfill. It seems to me that some people in industry expects the CWI to be an expert in all matters relating to welding. A review of AWS B5.1 should allay that misconception.

Generally speaking, the visual inspector, certified as a CWI, has demonstrated the ability to read and apply welding symbols, work to a standard, assess welds based on that standard, witness welder and procedure qualification, navigate a code, and has a working knowledge of the welding processes, NDT methods, and mechanical testing typically used by industry. the CWI must score a minimum of 72% correct in order to attain certification. That would barely be a score of "C" in most school curriculums. That hardly indicates a mastery of the subject matter.

In the real world, the CWI is often expected to be an expert in all matters related to welding. That is an over reach of what the intent of the CWI credential is intended to be. Individuals, being human, are too quick to accept responsibilities or to assign responsibilities to people that do not have the training or experience to fulfill the scope of the job. When the individual fails to live up to the expectations, it is the system that is derided.

Brent hit the nail on the head with his comment that the CWI should quickly recognizes how limited the depth of his knowledge is. Upon recognizing the limitations, additional training or study is needed to improve their understanding of their job assignments. Many CWIs that do not already have training and certification in other NDE methods do so once they obtain their CWI credential. They attend courses at their local community college, they attend seminars offered by AWS and other professional organizations, they become members of professional organizations such as ASM, AISC, ASQ, ASME, etc. They are afforded the opportunity to expand their knowledge of welding and related subjects. The competent CWI recognizes that on-going learning is key to long term success. It isn't enough to maintain the status quo. It is for that very reason I support the concept of endorsements and continuing education as the preferred method of maintaining the CWI credential. I see little benefit to taking the Part B examination every nine years. 

The CWI should not be viewed as the pinnacle of success, but rather the foundation upon which a solid successful career can be built with further education, training, and certification.

As for the existing system of qualifying and certifying the CWI, the examine does what it is intended to do. The exam questions ensure the individual has a level of mastery of the English language which is reasonable considering the CWI must work with codes, standards, and specifications. It ensures the candidate has a working knowledge of a broad spectrum of subjects relating to the visual examination of welds. It ensures the candidate has a basic understanding of how to use typical gages used to measure weld attributes. And it requires the candidate to demonstrate the ability navigate and apply the provisions of a welding standard. It requires the candidate to demonstrate basic abilities related to the visual examination of welds.

Like any system of accreditation the CWI program isn't perfect. CWIs do make mistakes just as licensed engineers make mistakes and doctors make mistakes that are buried everyday. The human element is something that can't be overlooked. Any accreditation system that involves a human element is not going to be perfect.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-28-2014 15:08
"Like any system of accreditation the CWI program isn't perfect. CWIs do make mistakes just as licensed engineers make mistakes and doctors make mistakes that are buried everyday. The human element is something that can't be overlooked. Any accreditation system that involves a human element is not going to be perfect. "

Very good point Al. I think with many things, there is always an individual element that can lead to a large variation in abilities. Accreditation may be given more "credit" than its due in some cases.

Gerald
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-28-2014 15:52 Edited 07-28-2014 19:50
It is fine to find fault or to criticize, but what alternative have you to offer.

Employer base certification is not viable since there is no base line established and it is biased.

The marketplace wants a yardstick that can be used to determine if an individual has the basic knowledge required to perform a function. That is the case with folk lift operators, crane operators, electricians, plumbers, welders, inspectors, engineers, doctors, teachers, and lawyers. Few people or corporations have the time, money, or expertise to evaluate every candidate they interview or consider when filling a position. Instead, they depend on independent bodies that are perceived to have the expertise to do part of the task for them. It is still the employer's responsibility to exercise due diligence when assessing the abilities of an employee before assigning him or her to a task. the goal should be to ensure the assignment is within their capability and experience.

I do not expect a family practitioner to perform open-heart surgery. I do not expect a teacher fresh out of college with a license to teach grammar school to instruct a course intended for graduate students working on advanced degrees. I have to recognize the limitations of the credential. The credential alone does not mean the individual has the experience or capability to perform a job function that requires advanced training and experience.

What do you propose in place of the “certification?” What system do you propose that can provide a yardstick that can be used to assess an individual’s knowledge of a subject? Does the employer discount the value of the high school diploma and administer their own examination? Does the employer discount the college degree and make each candidate complete an examination to demonstrate proficiency or mastery of basic sciences, humanities, or subjects of specialization? Does the employer discount the engineer’s license to practice and require each candidate to complete an extensive series of practical engineering problems? Does each client discount the lawyer’s diploma and require the lawyer to pass an examination of their design before allowing that individual to represent your interests in a courtroom? The same argument extends to the doctor’s license and every other profession. How many of us have the expertise required to properly evaluate a prospective professional. Instead, we depend on certifications and licensing to verify the individual has the basic abilities, education, training, and experience needed to perform the job function. 

Evidently, industry does recognize the need and the value of certification and licensing as a means of validating the individual’s knowledge or skill. Industry requires and relies on certification/licensing programs to ensure the individual has a basic understanding of a particular subject. It does not confer “expert” status on the credential holder.

The question really is, “How far does one go and how much money is to be spent to assess the knowledge and capabilities of the individual under consideration?” I agree that the credential should not be the only consideration when hiring someone to provide a service or to fill an employment opening. However, it is a recognized tool that can be utilized to sort out those individual that are unlikely to meet the needs of the employer or the client.

No system is perfect. Every system can be improved upon. I am always in favor of training. Few people taking the CWI examinations are proficient in all subjects. More classroom time and more time spent studying subjects such as welding symbols, metallurgy, mathematics, nondestructive testing, codes, material specifications, etc. would be a benefit. However, the subjects by themselves can be boring to say the least. I find it useful if the subjects can be tied into practical problems that require more than memorization. Learning to use analytical skills and learning how to find information using multiple references, i.e., codes, standards, and specifications are valuable lessons for solving real world problems. The question becomes, "How much time is required?" Some people require more time because the subjects might be new to them. Some people might be proficient in some subjects, but not others. What is a happy medium that would be suitable for the majority of the attendees?  Home study, classroom training, on-the-job experience are all ways to learn. All ways are viable, but classroom training usually accelerates the learning process for most people.

The fact remains that people that have decided to take the CWI examinations have alternatives to consider. They can self study, they can attend the AWS one week review, they can attend a class offered by companies such as Hobart, Real, or others, or they can attend seminars offered by the local sections of AWS (not all sections offer CWI seminars). A one week seminar is hardly the venue for someone that doesn't have experience in welding, NDT, or mechanical testing. Yet, a two week curriculum would cause a person with years of experience to fall asleep in class. It is the individual's responsibility to determine what venue will best meet their needs. The one week CWI seminar is not intended to offer one-on-one tutoring. Few courses offer that type of training. One-on-one training simply is not cost effective. I should point out that a person that needs considerable "hand-holding" probably isn't an ideal candidate for a position as a CWI. There are many situations where the CWI is expected to wok independently. They have to be problem solvers that can use references to find answers to a broad spectrum of questions. They have use formulas to solve math problems and they need to be able to write reports. Basic skills such as those are difficult to teach in a one or two week curriculum. That's where classes completed at the local community college can be beneficial. Taking such courses would be of great benefit if they are completed before attending CWI training.

Finally, is the goal to eliminate the individuals that have not mastered the subject matter, enhance the capabilities of the CWI, or ensure the CWI can fulfill basic job requirements? It there a  problem with the existing program or is there a problem with employers that assign the CWI work that they are not qualified to perform?

Best regards - Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-29-2014 01:59
Al,

Thanks for the comments. I do think certification is a good idea. Documentation signed by someone indicating that someone has met specific requirements is a commonplace occurrence. But certification and credentials can begin to lose their value when a large number of people have them and it appears to allow individuals to be validated that are incapable of performing many of the tasks associated with the certification.  My original post was concerned with the fact that someone suggested the certification program could be "improved" by mandatory class time. Yet in many cases I have observed (While Taking the Exam , and While Proctoring Years Ago), the majority of those who attended class seemed to struggle some. So the suggestion that making the class "Mandatory" struck me as a silly idea.

In my mind, one of the worst things you can do is teach someone the subject matter on a test, then give them the test immediately.  I think a testing and certification system that is suitable for the task/job is sufficient. The CWI  program has worked well for me. There is a wide range of knowledge held by employers as to what certification means. In welding, it means one thing for an inspector, another for a welder, and yet another for a SENSE certified welder. We could almost stand to have Certified Certification Inspector.

I propose nothing to replace certification, and I guess if I wanted to change it I should get on some committees. And though in depth interviewing as you describe is absurd, so is every little "stackable" credential that may come up for a CWI. One for welder Qualification, One for writing a Prequalified WPS for a carbon steel butt joint, reviewing a NDE reader Sheet, reading a project specification, verifying material, witnessing a PQR, and who know what else. Again, I'm not discounting certification, but it seems to be something that could get out of hand.

The question really is, “How far does one go and how much money is to be spent to prove ones knowledge and capabilities for the task under consideration?” I agree that the credential should a consideration when hiring someone to provide a service or to fill an employment opening. However, it is a recognized tool may overate, underrate or match an individuals potential.

I too am in favor of training. And even certification. But like all systems, a review may be in order. As far as I know, there are not tons of weld related failures occurring in the US that are the result of inadequate certifications. As you indicated there are many ways to learn. Forcing one method of learning is what I was originally concerned with. I fully support classroom training, I would just hate to become a second class CWI because I don't feel like paying someone to learn things that I learned from the welding handbook in the 12th grade.

I think there is a problem related to both individuals, employers, and agencies understanding what a CWI or Even a Certified Welder MUST be able to do, Might be able to do, and can Learn to do.

Again, I really like "certifications". And maybe even "Endorsements" to better document and verify abilities, but we need to make sure that when a system indicates someone has an ability, they have that ability. But it could also be perceived that just because an individual isn't proficient in one area, the whole individual is inadequate. Kinda like the statements I have heard from companies about a welder that couldn't read a tape measure. Though a desirable skill, I have worked with some guys I would pay top dollar for that only need a hood and gloves.

Have a great Day Al.
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-28-2014 23:25
Very good comments from Al, Iowa, Gerald (OP), and others.

Gerald, I re-read your original and would like to bring out another problem I have with where this originated: The AWS Instructor's Institute/Seminar.

A get together of educators who are seeking ways of dipping into the financial pool by decrying the failures of a system in order to institute more classes for them to collect money from. 

And just what good foundational information and especially experience to they have of the failures of the existing CWI program?  They are teaching welders to weld.  I think way too many are expressing their own misgivings about getting both the CWI and the CWE and then for all that testing finding out they still don't know hardly anything about properly preparing a WPS or doing welder certifications and then inspectors in the field are telling students that they passed and issued a 'certification' card to that they have to re-test and that the card they have isn't worth the paper it's printed on (not totally the case but you get my point). 

Now, if this had been a meeting of welding shop inspections personnel crying out for more educational opportunities then I could see some area for concern and interest.  Though Al and I have already covered that and we agree that this is just the beginning and much more is often needed and little is provided by the employers. 

Don't cry foul too fast here.  I have already stated my opinion that more is needed.  The question becomes one of who, what, when, where, why, and how is it implemented?  Al stated it very well, the system is not the problem.  The individual application is the problem.  Each employer/client needs to be sure of what they need and what they are getting.  They need to understand the limited scope of job responsibilities of the CWI.  They need to be willing to screen for what they need.

I know people who are CWI's who are very qualified to do much more than the B5.1 basic requirements.  Some with many college degrees, certificates, etc to back up that knowledge base.  But that is not a requirement of the CWI.  And I don't think it should be.  Just as a structural fitter should not have to pass a welding test in the 6G position to be able to tack weld. 

Great discussion opportunity Gerald. 

Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2014 00:04
You said it better with 10% of my word count.

What I would like to hear is what would make the program stronger.

AWS does have the on-line training available. A tad pricey, but it might be useful to a select few that have a wallet full of cash and the self discipline needed to stay awake during a computer presentation. Sorry, I for one struggle to keep attentive during webinars.

Best regard - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-29-2014 01:21
"What I would like to hear is what would make the program stronger."

AMEN!!  There is always room for improvement and this program is no exception.  Especially when it comes to additional educational opportunities after the original certification.

I was very blessed with the man who came to me after I achieved the CWI certification and asked if I wanted to do more than just my own in house QC.  He was a mentor that really rounded out much, not all, of what I needed to carry on as a TPI after CWI certification.  And, every job is different.  You have to get into your job specs and see what the engineer has called out and expects of you. 

One part of the problem is that no one wants to be a student and get paid less while 'apprenticing'.  They want the full pay right now.  'I'm a CWI, I don't need you to tell me how to do my job!'  Yeah, right.

Another part of the problem, getting enough money from the job to be able to pay an apprentice any type of wage while paying the mentor to do his job and teach too.  Some jobs are large enough and if multiple people are needed on site then you can work in a newbie.  But there aren't near enough of those right now. 

I was glad I added the Bolting Endorsement and more recently, should have done it sooner, the ICC Welding and Bolting Certs.  The background I gained in self study preparing for those and the documentation they provide that I have experience and knowledge of Bolting and Print Reading has been a real asset.  Endorsements help add some of this knowledge we are concerned about.

Example:  It has come up many times on this forum as well as on jobs- restricting cleaning to a wire brush and hand held manual chipping hammer.  If one gets into other codes and spends time around here they find out that codes have different requirements/restrictions.  And that particular one does not cross the line to be applicable to D1.1.  We would not have to keep doing that discussion with every batch of new CWI's if they had more training in other codes. 

They need to do much more study after passing one code and disregard most of what they thought they knew and make sure everything they do or say is in the code they are currently working to. 

Maybe an idea for another on line class for AWS: Disregarding Preconceived Ideas and Working From Facts.  They could cover many of the conflicts of understanding because people have not realized that much of what they have heard is true, it just comes from a different code and/or application. 

I better stop.  This is becoming a soap box for me.

Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-29-2014 02:16
Al, that was easier for my brain to follow. :)
Parent - By rjtinsp (*) Date 07-29-2014 05:39
For most guys you get this certification and "you are one", but the trouble is that nobody teaches you how to be one. If you are lucky enough to have a friend or cowoker to mentor you that is great, however a lot of guys don't have those opportunities and develop bad habits and remain ignorant of relatively basic inspection knowledge.
     This is where offering classes on how to conduct ones self as an inspector and perform common inspection tasks such as: maintaining open communication, report writing, duties and responsibilities, NDT requirements, handling of common situations etc. would be very helpful to an inspectors development.
     For instance while I have worked as a Level III in building construction I have answered a lot of simple questions from CWIs about testing requirements that are spelled out very easily in the structural codes and standards. But due to perpetuated inspection myths and assumptions the inspector will miss something or request testing that isn't required without looking it up first. It's things like this that have drove me to begin preparing a course for my local area to teach inspectors in the building construction industry the basic what's, how's, where's, and why's of NDT requirements commonly found on structural steel projects. So far I have had a lot of interest in the topic. My primary drive isn't about money but helping to lift up some of the new guys in the industry.
     For me I see a need to get back to basics on a lot of topics because the employers these days are failing at training the new guys.

Ramon
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-29-2014 02:15
Brent,
You are correct about the possibility of pushing classes. I am all about teaching and making resources available to those t hat want to learn a little or alot.

Many of the instructors indicated a need to learn more about certain topics. A few mention the AWS resources, and other paid courses. I suggested that welding instructors form an organization that allows through networking, the sharing of information and practices with each other. Just think if there was a of instructors whom were willing to share their experiences, techniques, and resources to "further the art and science" of welding. .  I brought this up at the open forum discussion but no real response. And its possible the way I say things doesn't go over well in public.  But that is another topic altogether.

I too think that prescreening may be helpful. Maybe establish a baseline minimum proficiency by online testing. I don't know. And again, things aren't falling apart in the country because some guy allowed a welder with an ASME WPQ to weld on a D1.1 item.

Thanks for the comments

Gerald
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2014 03:39 Edited 07-29-2014 03:47
Gerald, you have made the comment that you don't generally see welded structures failing and you don't see a major concern.

I see the flip side and have worked several cases as an expert witness that involved people that involved death and serious injuries because someone didn't do their job. It isn't always the welder at fault, but I will say the welders played a major roll in each failure. The last case I worked on didn't involve a death or injury, but it was only by the grace of God that no one was crushed.

There was plenty of blame to spread around. The Owner, the Engineer, the welder, and the inspector (or lack there of) were incompetent or negligent. In each case a qualified welder should have known the welds were not acceptable. In each case the defects should have been discovered had the inspector been competent. The owners negligence was they didn't hire competent people or insist on qualified inspectors. The Engineer carried some of the blame by not questioning the absence of inspection reports.

Don't for an instance think there are not weld failures. There are plenty of them. You may happened to work for one of the contractors during the fabrication or installation. Unless the failure happens during construction or during a warranty period you would not likely to hear of the in-service failures that the Owner has to repair and foot the bill for.  On the other hand, I get called in when there is a failure and help sort out the mess that results.

I'm pretty sure few of the workers on the assembly line at General Motors heard about the accidents that were blamed on their automobiles until it made the headlines of their local newspapers and on the evening news on television. Just because one doesn't hear about weld failures doesn't mean they don't happen. The majority of cases never make it to court. Most cases are settled with nondisclosure agreements. After all, no corporation wants to see their name in the headlines.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-29-2014 09:48
Are they the result of certification or lack there of is my point.  How does the US rank in weld related deaths in comparison to other countries I wonder? 

Has the number of weld related failures per welded product gone down since the inception of the CWI program ? If we have a problem then maybe we should look into a better system.  A weekly report similar to what OSHA generates listing failures would be a great training aid.

As with many,  my experience is limited and what I see only a small part of the welding world. You would think with ther high potential for death and loss of property,  much of this information would be shared with the common welder, inspector,  supervisor etc... Boy would that be a training aid.

Maybe a law requiring codes to incorporate the CWI program would really improve quality. I don't know. I have much to learn in these matters .

Have a good one Al.

Gerald
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2014 14:18 Edited 07-29-2014 18:34
As I said, most legal cases never see a court room, thus never become part of the public record. Violation of a confidentiality agreement voids the settlements, so those plaintiffs are careful not to talk about their case.

Just look at the settlements with General Motors. There have been legal cases bought against General Motors over the issue of the ignition key problem, yet the general public was never aware of the magnitude of the problem. How many people were involved with accidents and blamed themselves because they were not aware of the problem?

Only one of the cases where I served as an expert witness made it to the court room. The others were settled out of court. Even the case where I was the plaintiff never made it to the court room. The judge ordered the lawyers to settle the case and the lawyers did over a cup of coffee. My co-plaintiff and I shared the settlement which just about covered the hospital bills and a good meal. You will never read about the case in a public record because it was settled out of court.

The majority of the cases did involve welders that were not properly qualified or involved projects where the inspector was not qualified or the inspections were not performed. In one case the inspection agency and the general contractor "saved" money by performing a small fraction of the inspections required by the contract. The Engineer nor the Building Official questioned the absence of inspection reports. The inspection agency is no longer in business. The general contractor weaseled out of liability because they were protected by workers compensation laws.

Neither you or I will see a report from the insurance companies listing the number of claims they have paid out or the circumstances surrounding the cases because they do not want their competitors to know their financial condition. I have performed inspections after the fact on behalf of insurance companies and believe me, my reports never see the light of day if the client has any say about the matter.

Professional societies would be able to do a much better job of developing codes if they were privy to all the information gathered by legal cases and insurance companies, but it isn't going to happen given the laws these people hide behind. Insurance companies will not release information on the number of claims they pay or the root cause of the failures. They may investigate a collapse to determine if they can seek restitution from another party, but they keep the information confidential.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-30-2014 02:48
Thanks for the comments Al. Your comments have been appreciated and give me another set of eyes to see the welding world with.

Have a good night.

Gerald
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-30-2014 02:57
The same to you.

You seem to have a knack for firing up good discussions. Good subjects and some interesting points to think about.

Al
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 07-31-2014 02:50
I think it will be good to have this NDT background (at least Level 2 in four methods) as prerequisite before you become a CWI
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-31-2014 13:35 Edited 07-31-2014 13:58
Joey, that would be admirable, but whether that would insure the inspector would do a better job is debatable. 

My personal belief is that some people are under the impression the CWI should be all things to all people related to welding. The CWI is qualified for the visual inspection of welds. Any certification in NDE will provide enhanced employment opportunities, but it is beyond the scope of what the CWI credential is stated to be.

Too few people review the job functions the CWI is qualified to fulfill. One only has to read Table 1 in AWS B5.1 to see what the CWI capabilities are. All too often the CWI is assigned tasks for which the individual is not qualified to do. A good example is the development of a WPS. There is nothing in the CWI training or examination that includes the development of a WPS. Yet, CWIs are under the assumption that is within their capability by virtue of having the CWI credential. That is not the case. If the CWI has had additional training in how to develop WPSs or works with someone that is proficient in writing WPS and teaches them how to write a WPS; super, go for it.

A CWI that jumps in with both feet with no additional training is in no better position to write a WPS than an individual that jumps in to a fast flowing river without knowing how to swim. Both the swimmer and the CWI are going to get battered and bruised and neither may survive the ordeal. Worst yet, the inexperienced CWI is providing a disservice to both the customer and the AWS. The customer is going to get a black eye when the WPS is rejected by the client and the CWI program gets a bad rap because the CWI didn't know what he was doing.

It is no different that the person that goes out and purchases a UT machine and sells his services to an unsuspecting customer. You can't say it doesn't happen because I have seen several such cases. "I did thickness reading in the service. They taught me all about UT." To that I say, "Bull twinkies." The NDT standards in use here in the States calls for training, relevant experience, demonstrated skill, and knowledge of the process before certification. People question the validity of UT as a direct result of unqualified practitioners in the filed. 

I was on one job where the technician's UT cable was broken. I asked him where his calibration block was. He said back in the office. I asked how he was calibrating on the job site. He replied he was using the corner of the beam. I asked how he could he possibly have a reflected signal if the cable was broken. He responded he was wondering why he didn't get a reflected signal.

Last week I was reviewing an inspection report. The person performing the magnetic particle test using a AC yoke stated in the report that the crack was 3/8 inch deep. Please tell me how MT can determine the depth of the crack. No, the crack wasn't excavated to verify the depth of the crack. The report listed several cracks and in each case a depth was listed. What the fudge! Where did these people learn their trade?

I have had RT technicians say, "Make sure you wear your dosimeter in there, everything is radioactive because that's were the X-ray tube is located."

Are you kidding me? The cell is radioactive from the X-ray tube? Are you serious!

Is it the individual, the employer, or is it the process that failed? I suggest that the individual may have failed to stay awake in class. I suggest the employer isn't properly assessing the individual's training and comprehension of the training he did receive. The result is the customer isn't getting what he is paying for. What is the solution? I'll be darn if I know. No one wants to pay the freight for a central certification program. Thus, there is no easy solution other than "buyer beware."

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-31-2014 16:35
Before I make my own observation, I believe Joey was throwing his comment out with ... sarcasm is the only word that comes to mind... not in total seriousness at any rate.

Now, I have for years said, and am currently in the process of making it happen, that I felt CWI's needed more of an understanding of MT and UT in particular than we are 'required' to have.  It is a 'NICE' idea to take the classes and training to at least have Level I understanding of the equipment and process.  We can better understand the scope of what the job requires and what the technician is supposed to be doing and then understand any indications they get while performing the procedures. 

I am going for Level II in MT, UT, and maybe PT.  I am getting both of my sons certified as well.  All three of us will have some different process as well, PT, VT, coatings, fireproofing, etc.  Between us we will be able to perform and/or properly monitor the operations of others. 

Having said that, I agree with Al, the bottom line is too high of expectations by engineers and fabricators because they have not read QC1 or B5.1 and don't understand the limitations and/or requirements for CWI's, SCWI's, and CAWI's.  Limitations being the more critical for application to this thread as it is important to realize that the system is not the problem even though it could use some improvements. 

Statements by others about those who keep taking the exam until they pass, there is a requirement for documentation of additional training hours under certain conditions.  AWS requires 40 hours of additional training prior to re-taking the exam in those cases.  I do not think that is enough hours myself and it is not well enough defined as to what qualifies.  It is obvious most just go back to work and take the first available test rather a couple of weeks, months or a year down the road.  Training?  They just went back to work welding, in house QC, or whatever but the employer signed off that they received additional "training".  I believe the intent was actual classroom, but, it was not defined.  AND, whose classroom? 

Bottom line, additional training is required on occasion.  But the system does need adjustments. 

Parent - - By rjtinsp (*) Date 07-31-2014 17:35 Edited 07-31-2014 19:52
I think that we are all in agreement that employers too often assume that someone is a capable inspector just because they hold a CWI, and that is the biggest part of the problem. Most places only look at the CWI certification and a resume and send the person out to work. In addition most CWI's are working by themselves and their performance is rarely accessed in the field. A lot of places that I have worked think that if they don't get any complaints from the client then that alone tells them that the inspector is doing his job right. That type of attitude is common and can be dangerous.
I feel that it would be good practice for  employers to administer written and practical exams specific to their industry even if it is not a client requirement. That would show that the employer has done their due diligence in verifying that a person is qualified to perform weld inspection as a CWI for their company. In addition conducting performance reviews in the field would also be a good idea.
If i owned an inspection company that is how I would do it.
Ramon
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-31-2014 20:43
It is interesting that you make the comment that as long as there are no complaints, the employer assumes the inspector is doing his job.

I have an engineer that I have worked with over the years that takes a different stance. His position is that if he doesn't hear a complaint now and again, he wants to know what the inspector has been doing. He takes the absence of a complaint as due to the inspector sitting and reading the paper instead of being on the shop floor doing his job.

I had a client from a southern state call me to tell me of a 17 page letter *****ing about the SOB, Al. The client said it read more like a letter of commendation because each of the complaints was exactly why I was on the job. My client said, "What ever it is that you are doing, keep doing it."

He said one of the complaints was that I was spending too much time on the shop floor, to which my client said, "That's exactly why your there, to look at the work and keep an eye on things."

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By rjtinsp (*) Date 07-31-2014 21:32
Your engineer friend has it right. The temptation is too great for many to slack off.

On the project I'm on I was given free reign to choose inspection personnel and I overlooked quite a few experienced and knowledgeable hands for guys I knew would crawl into a hole or up a ladder to inspect every weld with a flashlight an approved detail and a gauge. And I am sure you know that guys who work like that day in and day out are hard to find.

Ramon
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-31-2014 22:16
They are the select 10 to 20%.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-31-2014 22:50
A couple of shops I have done TPI work in have commented: 'No one else ever uses their fillet gauges as much as you do'.  (not that this is totally true, just what they say)

And I am always getting them for undersized welds, go figure. 

Two shops management have told me multiple times: 'You're holding up production by being on the floor, get in the office and we will call you when we need you'.  Literal statement. 

To which I say, this is where I'm paid to be so get used to it.  AISC, D1.1, D1.8, and the job specs tell me what they want done and when and I can't do it sitting in the office all day.  Besides, as the customer rep, I'll be where I want to be when I want to be there, not when you want me there. 

And it's amazing what you find in the field when you show up without an actual scheduled time to check on progress for a periodic inspection.  I don't work on their schedule. 

Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-31-2014 23:01
Amen.

Al
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 08-01-2014 06:27
I’m serious Brent:neutral:

My short story:

The QC Dept that I've stated to work during the 80’s consists of two sections (NDT & Inspection). All hired apprentices who had a min of 2years in college must start in the NDT section. So I worked as NDT apprentice when I started in this QC line, my earlier duties were to carry the Ir-192 for my seniors, carry the x-ray machine, clean the weld surfaces for PT before and after the test, in short as a neophyte I have done all those tough and dirty jobs. Being a qualified NDT technician to QC Inspector did not take too long for me to achieve. I’m proud to say that my foundation is strong compare to those Inspectors who have no NDT background.  Some says the best Inspectors are those people started as a welder. I disagree, because many of welders in Smokey are illiterate but they are Class A welder. How can you perform as Inspector when you cannot read & write. I still believe that the proper route for CWI is to start from NDT technician.

If my son choose to follow my career, I will encourage him to start in NDT and not immediately as Inspector.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-01-2014 12:55
Joey, there is no doubt that relevant experience and working with qualified mentors are positive factors when learning any trade or skill. Generally speaking, most people do not learn a new skill working in a vacuum. They usually have experience in a related filed and they usually work with experienced people before launching a new career. Reading a book on a new subject is going to get a person just so far. The books cannot take the place of working beside an experienced expert. The problem is having the opportunity to work with the expert. There are too many people, regardless of the trade or profession, that have the "good enough" attitude and do not take the time or effort to do the job correctly. I my humble opinion, that is the crux of the problem. Whether we are talking about CWIs, welders, engineers, or other NDE technicians. Having pride in the work you do is something that is difficult to instill in people that have the "good enough" or "can't see it from my house" attitude.

However, the comment regarding literacy is true regardless of the trade or skill. I do agree that it is fundamental to working as an inspector that the individual have a good grasp of the language in order to communicate effectively. Communication includes being able to speak, read, comprehend, and write proficiently. 

You bought up some valid points regarding the value of having one work their way up through the system.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-01-2014 14:31
Thank you for responding Joey and clarifying your earlier post.

I can appreciate that position and as I stated, I feel that would be good to have some background in the various NDT disciplines.  But I am not convinced it is mandatory.

But then, I would really like to see every inspector having a broader base than JUST ONE OF THE AREAS OF EXPERIENCE as outlined in B5.1.  So, someone who has done nothing but work in NDT for five years is experinced enough to be a CWI?  Or someone who has had blueprint drawing and reading is experienced enough to be a CWI?  Or, someone who has been a welder, even to code work, is experienced enough to be a CWI?

Only one portion of the trades is not enough experience.  Welders need to know how to read prints, write reports, spell, use a computer, negotiate the applicable code book, use weld gauges correctly, and more.  Those who have been in other parts of the trade need to have at least some experience in the welding part and understand basics of the processes, the hands on application of metallurgical knowledge, etc.

Now, those are MY preferences.  That is not mandated by AWS.  And there are parts of the industry that this variety of experience and background would not be of that much benefit.  But the more rounded of a background one has the better of an inspector they will be IN MY OPINION.

BUT, none of us knows everything about every area of welding and inspections.  Impossible even with a doctorate in welding. 

Again, the system could use some improvement.  But in most cases, probably all cases, it is not the CWI system that has failed as the system has checks and balances built into it.  It is those implementing the system but cutting corners who have failed the system, not the other way around.  Employers, rather contractor or inspection agency who do not follow up with apprenticeship, training, testing for their application of the industry have let the system down.  And it happens with NDT as well as welders and CWI's.  I have seen it across the board.  Fabricators want a welder's prior certification to be 'good enough' (as Al said).  Inspection agencies want CWI's to be know it all's about everything welding and inspecting.  And it goes on and on. 

I am sorry I misspoke about what you said.  I thought it had been meant in jest.  I do see your point and to a degree agree.  Again, I feel having at least a Level I background would be beneficial.  But it is not mandatory and I am not sure it should be. 

Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-03-2014 06:16
It's "Whether" Brent...:eek::surprised::smile::grin::lol::wink: Remember that you're communicating with the rest of the world outside of your space where they use the word "Rather" instead...:lol::twisted::wink:

Other than that, this is an excellent discussion.:cool::cool::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-03-2014 14:19
Thank you Henry, I had to read back through my post twice before I found it. 

Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Abilities based upon having a class vs NOT