Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PAUT on ASNT NDT Level III exams?
- - By supermoto (***) Date 07-13-2014 08:00
Just wondering if anyone has taken a recent ASNT NDT Level III UT exam for basic and method?  I was wondering if the individual was required to know PAUT.
Parent - - By psnort (*) Date 07-13-2014 11:10
There is a discussion about this on the NDT.net forum of nondestructive testing General Discussion board, currently posted. So far, it appears, neither TOFD or PA are part of the L III UT exam.
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 07-13-2014 17:26
Thanks and thanks again as I am now a member of another forum :-)
Parent - - By rjtinsp (*) Date 07-15-2014 21:30
It wasn't in 2012. But it very well could be now.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 07-25-2014 20:04
It wasn't in 2014 yet either
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 08-12-2014 23:32
After contacting ASNT, they said at this time there are no PAUT questions on the ASNT UT Level III method exam.
Parent - - By CWI7611 (**) Date 08-14-2014 22:14 Edited 08-14-2014 23:07
I called ASNT several years ago to inquire about a radiographic interpretation qualification and was told that I needed to take their Level III exam. I asked how many radiographs there might be on the Level III exam. They said "None" (this may have since changed). I was told if I could pass the Level III exam that I would have had enough experience to have knowledge to interpret radiographs. I explained that there were NDT company's that sent Level II's out just to x-ray welds then the film was brought back to the shop and developed and interpreted. The next day they took the film back to the shop and gave it to the OC department to mark the rejected areas then they would go back and do the same the next day. I asked about screen shots for UT and they said "No. No screen shots to look at on the exam. I didn't take the test. Now AWS has a CRI exam. I will take that in the future.
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 08-14-2014 23:27
Ok. I'm trying to understand what you are trying to tell me by writing this.
Parent - - By CWI7611 (**) Date 08-15-2014 13:30
Well I'll try. I know it has little to do with the question asked but does address some problems with some certifications offered. PAUT on ASNT NDT Level III exams, I don't even know what that is (yeah right). You can even add the CWI exams if you want since I have reviewed some of the comments concerning the knowledge some of the inspectors holding the AWS CWI certifications. If you study enough material and have a good retention rate you can take most of the tests and not be able to interpret the results of the examination you are being Certified to do.

I know all the organizations doing our types of certifications have a prerequisite for so many years of training and/or hands on experience but as I said several years ago when questioning ASNT about a radiographic interpretation certification I was told that they didn't have any film or representations of film for the RT Level III exam. When I asked about the UT Level III exam and representations of come screen shots I got the same answer, no screen shots on the UT Level III exam.

What I'm saying is if you go to the training programs, study hard, know the math, and misrepresent some years of experience you can probably pass any one of the exams, AWS, ASNT, and even NACE corrosion inspector. So why worry about this or that being on an ASNT test. Study for it like it is and if it's not on the test you're ahead of the game. It's sometimes referred to as personal development. Who knows, you might need that knowledge on the next job.

By the way, back in '76 there weren't all these prep courses for taking these certification tests. If you're employer didn't teach it or you didn't do a little study on your own (personal development) you didn't get it. I participated in the first CWI testing in '76 then took all three sections of the test over again in '85 after the test was supposedly refined. I don't remember any prep courses back then.

Probably still haven't cleared anything up. Seems like a lot of these posts get off the subject anyway. All these certification programs are revenue generators anyway.
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 08-15-2014 14:06
Ahhh, I understand now. I figured that's what you were trying to convey. I had an experienced Level III tell me a couple years ago that he failed his ASNT UT Level III because there was a lot of questions related to Phased Array. I think he said that because he didn't want to seem inferior and embarrassed of failure.

I'm not planning on taking a prep course but I do have another very knowledgable Level III to help make sure I'm ready. Even if I fail I won't be embarrassed since it is very difficult.
Parent - - By CWI7611 (**) Date 08-16-2014 01:34
We should always continue to learn more. Even if you fail the first time, the time you spend prepping for the test will not be wasted. Think of how much additional knowledge you will gain. You can become my go-to guy for UT info.

We have all failed at something but some will not admit it. Failure can be an asset.

Good luck and best wishes.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-16-2014 06:55
The road to success often has "rest & refueling stations" known as owning up to "failing" within the journey where much is learned from the experienc, and is also to be used as a "refueling" stop as well whereby the "fuel' consists of what lessons were learned through experiencing the failure or failures and the knowledge gained... 
Rested and re-invigorated enough to feel much more confident to continue their journey down the road to success!

Anyone tells you that they have never in their own lives ever failed in anything is too full of the crap that usually comes out of their rear-end and incredibly ignorant of their own denial! They more than likely don't understand the concept of humility and equate it as humiliation instead... Insecurity at it's worst!
Hopefully they'll learn about it sooner than later.:smile::grin::twisted::lol::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By CWI7611 (**) Date 08-16-2014 20:42
Thanks for the "refueling" opportunity.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PAUT on ASNT NDT Level III exams?