Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Tablet and Notebook Computer CWI'ing What Do You Think!
- - By Len Andersen (***) Date 08-23-2014 18:46
Ladies Gentlemen,
    Tablet and Notebook Computer CWI'ing. What Do You Think! Am back to work and that the way they do business. My view, like the old tools and a signature on paper. Look forward to hearing from you. I am still looking for "opportunities".
       Sincerely
Len Andersen   weld@speamil.org
914-536-7101 / 914-237-7689 (H) / 800-428-4801 USA
POB 1529 / NYC 10116-1529 ( $1240 per year Caller
Box GPO NYC / Most Secure Service At Largest Post
Office USA )

www.lenandersen.com

PS -
http://lenandersen.com/personal_info/resume.html
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-23-2014 19:22
Congratulations Len,  Glad to hear you are working.

Now, I just lost my response because when I hit 'post' I had lost signal because my battery in my WIFI was dead.  Had to start over. 

I am a lot like you and really prefer the old ways... chisel, hammer and stone tablet instead of these plastic things.  Hard to read when they break apart instead of removing just the small pieces of stone to make a letter. 

Seriously though, I do prefer my codebooks in hard copy though I have them on my laptop for when I am missing a code I need for reference.  I prefer blueprints on LARGE paper instead of on electronic formats that I can't read and am pulling all around on the screen looking at little sections at a time.  I prefer actual signatures on reports with a stamp as opposed to totally hand writing the report.  But I do like being able to just send the electronic file and not print, sign, scan, send/or snail mail a copy to all concerned parties involved in the job. 

I let myself fall way behind the curve with technology and am struggling to be even close to proficient in it's possible usage.  Contrary to my son who uses his tablet and smart phone to do everything so he doesn't carry a notepad and then have to transfer notes, find he is missing something, go back to the location, get the rest of the information, and go finish the report.  They do make things easier and faster, more efficient if one is able to make it work.  But, I have such a reputation with technology that every time I suggest to my family that maybe I should consider getting one they all shout, NO!!  Maybe I should anyway.  Then again, maybe I'll just retire and not worry about it.  Wait, I still have too long to go. 

Well, good luck Len.  Hope something else comes along if you are uncertain about this one.  But make the best out of it and maybe even learn something along the way.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By CWI7611 (**) Date 08-25-2014 00:55
I always liked the full size drawings too. Then the company I worked started to put out "reduced sized" prints. Some of the notes on the drawings needed a magnifying glass to read, then run them through the copier three separate and they get totally unreadable.

I still liked the "reduced" size better than getting them on a computer. Ever try to look at Sheet 3 and the continuation on Sheet 5 on a computer screen, good luck with that. Maybe it looks good in the engineering office where they can display one sheet on one screen and another sheet on another screen. Lay the paper in front of me and I can navigate through several sheets of drawings, on a computer screen, forget about it. If you've been there, you know.

Give me the hard copy code books as well, but it can easier to get around in a well linked pdf. file especially if the Search function is available.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-25-2014 15:32
I agree with the search function aspect, MOST OF THE TIME.  For some reason there are times I can't get things to pop up that I know are in there. 

Brent
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 08-25-2014 18:00
Having a bit of nerve damaged to my right arm and hand, my handwriting looks quite similar to preschool scribbles.  I use my Microsoft Surface almost exclusively for my reports. The company I'm currently with has decided to go entirely to PDA's (Samsung Note) for reports to help improve front office efficiency.  This system will allow you to send in your report, which is instantly received by all parties involved.  Personally I think it makes me more productive.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-29-2014 15:36
I created a database years ago for inspection. Every inspection was entered. If I am tracking multiple Customers>Projects>PO>Line Items>Inspections I will ALWAYS want hard data. I can lookup today for every inspection I performed with the word "overlap" on an item to a specific customer, with a given ship date and provide a list in a few seconds. With pictures.

However, that extent may not be desired by everyone. When I did this, tablets and phones did not have this capability so I would either carry a notepad and transpose data at my next visit to the office OR bring my laptop in the shop.

I enter almost everthing in a database that I would ever want to lookup again.

There are plenty of other methods utilizing technology now too. Cameras with voice notes for images, ease of recording video etc.

It really gets down to your preferences and comfort with technology. I do strongly suggest archiving paper documents electronically. Flash drives are cheap and extremely tough. I have swam with and washed and dried more than one or two.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 08-24-2014 13:18
I live with my laptop.

However, every job requires the right tool. I use a notepad for taking notes while on the job and performing visual inspections. The environment is too harsh for a laptop to survive. My press inspections are the equivalent to inspecting the inside of an engine, grease, oil, and water everywhere. The dirt and dust, if it isn't grease soaked, is inches thick. No place for man nor computer. Likewise, on a structural project, I would rather not worry about dropping a piece of electronics gear. As for the cell phone or smart phone, thanks, but no thanks. I don't like the distractions they seem to bring with them. The notebook is light and convenient for taking notes and making sketches.

The laptop is used for writing the final report and stays were it is safe.

The exception is when I'm performing UT. I like to input the detail being tested to the laptop. I draw a detail to scale using AutoCAD. Then while I'm scanning, I can easily plot the sound path and see exactly what is happening, where the beam is going, and the location of the reflectors. It makes it easier to show the client why I'm seeing what I'm seeing and provides them a level of confidence that isn't possible with a paper report. Mind you, most of my UT isn't checking welds to a code. It is to explore cracks and other problems in large castings.

Best regards - Al
- By weldingpolice Date 09-06-2014 23:13 Edited 11-01-2014 15:39
!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Tablet and Notebook Computer CWI'ing What Do You Think!