Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Working Conditions 2
- - By qcrobert (***) Date 11-19-2014 18:07
Not nearly as impressive as Shawn's scenic aerial pix in Tennessee but thought I would share these ground level pix from Oregon.

Robert
Attachment: Pix4AustraliaProjectlift.jpg (379k)
Attachment: Pix2AustraliaProject1.jpg (355k)
Attachment: Pix1AustraliaProject.jpg (398k)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-19-2014 18:23
OH MAN are you reminding me of my Boilermaker days.  Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Is that you standing in the last one? 

BTW, headed up to OR, outskirts of Oregon City, to see my family for Thanksgiving.  Will be enjoying some of that liquid sunshine and cool weather they have been having.  Plus, I have got to find out personally how dad is doing. 

Stay safe.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 11-19-2014 19:22
Boomed all over the nation as a boilermaker and tube welder in 70-mid 80's, good days as a young man indeed.

The tubes here though are high voltage electrodes used for air purification systems.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Oregon with your Dad.

Bring some dry weather with ya.

Robert
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-19-2014 22:48
Hey Robert!

So those were sent to Australia?

Boilermaker started 76! Tube welder/mechanic since 82 wrestling &welding tube mostly super heaters up and down the East coast and Mid-Atlantic states until 94 when I got sick and had to get ready for a liver transplant 3 3/4 years later...  Nice pics Robert.:grin: It's good to see you posting again!:cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 11-20-2014 18:02
WESP units being shipped to Dandenong, Victoria, Australia.  This is a 156 tube unit and we build up to 956 tube wet electrostatic precipitators.  Ship nation & worldwide.

I had forgotten you were a boilermaker.  Most of my work was in TX and northwest although I did weld in tubine generator bldg at a new B&W boiler in Millinocket, ME in mid 80's.

Robert
- - By Zack Date 11-24-2014 00:13
Hi All,

Have some doubt about burn mark.
How possible the burn mark effect the welding?
If it only cosmetic defect, how to determine it.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-24-2014 00:44
Zack,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

What burn mark are you talking about?  Is there something in one of Robert's pictures that you are asking about? 

Are you talking about arc strikes?  Separate from this thread and just have a question of your own? 

What do you mean by "burn mark"? 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-24-2014 00:54
ehhh definitely not a superheater project......I am curious about the purpose of those nozzels in what obviously is not a pressure vessel.   what gives...do you know?     that is a a no pressure construction that is easy to see...what the living heck is it for:?
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-24-2014 01:12
I know more then I should know....im just a freaking weldor I should be shot and buried ina shallow grave before I go to far and prove someone with a degree completely wrong
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-24-2014 03:05
I was wondering what it was as well, so I went back and read all the posts. It is an electrostatic precipitator if I read it correctly.

The variety of machines built in response to industry demands always amazes me. There are some smart dudes out there with ingenuity and the wherewith all to get it done.

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

Al
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 11-24-2014 15:45 Edited 11-24-2014 15:53
Tommy,
The WESP unit is not a high pressure vessel but there are thousands of welds to be inspected that impact the performance of the equipment.

Although not the company I work for, check out http://www.ppcbio.com/ppcwespworks.htm for a diagram of how a wet electrostatic precipitator works. 

"Wet electrostatic precipitator ( ESP ) particulate control system designs can be either up flow or down flow relative to where polluted air enters the ESP during the particulate control process. Turning vanes and perforated plate evenly distribute the gas flow inside of the wet electrostatic precipitator.
Assuming a down flow design: The gas then enters the wet electrostatic precipitator ( ESP ) device’s round collection tubes, which are bundled, between two tube sheets in a honeycomb type arrangement. Above the collection tubes are two sets of spray headers. The first spray header continually mists the collection tubes with small water droplets, which are immediately charged and flow down the tube, in the direction of the gas flow. This continually wets the tubes to prevent sticky particulates from adhering to the tubes during the particulate control process. The second spray header is the flushing header, which periodically sprays a larger amount of water to flush the collected precipitate out of the collection tubes into the lower plenum, during the particulate control process.

In the middle of each ESP collection tube is a rigid pin corona-generating electrode. Each electrode suspends from an alignment rack, which is supported by insulators located out of the gas stream. A 65-80 KV transformer rectifier energizes the electrode rack with an automatic controller.

As the dust and aerosol particles enter the collection tubes, located inside of the wet electrostatic precipitator, they become charged from a bombardment of negatively charged electrons. The negatively charged particles adhere to the wetted collection tube and are periodically flushed into the electrostatic precipitator’s lower plenum.

The lower plenum is designed to demist the gas stream and drain all of the collected precipitate to the collection system, completing the particulate control process. All of our electrostatic precipitator ( ESP ) devices as well as our biofilter and biofiltration equipment meet MACT." 

My company builds many different types of of WESPS and industrial air filtration systems including flame arresting equipment that are used to control industrial particulate emissions, including smoke from electricity-generating utilities (coal and oil fired), salt cake collection from black liquor boilers in pulp mills, and catalyst collection from fluidized bed catalytic cracker units in oil refineries to name a few.

Robert
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Working Conditions 2