Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Level III or BS degree?
- - By supermoto (***) Date 01-19-2015 14:56 Edited 01-19-2015 15:06
I would like to pursue my Level III and finish my BS degree. I am more than qualified and ASNT has accepted me to sit for a ASNT NDT UT Level III.  This may be the only exam I may not pass the first time out of my CWI and all my NDE qualifications. I have been studying for the Level III very slowly but don't see a lot of Level III jobs.  I wouldn't be the best Level III but I know I would be much better than some other Level IIIs I worked for/with.  Most jobs that I qualify require a BS degree.  I have a AAS in welding technology and could probably finish a BS degree in 3 or 4 years, since most programs require a lot of prerequisites I don't have. 

The question is what is a better path for a lot us....having a Level III or having a BS degree and which to try and finish first?  I realize the Level III is more quickly attainable, If I pass but if I don't there is a lot time spent studying when I could have been taking classes towards a 4 year degree.  Traveling, working long hours, life, and studying just doesn't leave time to take classes online or at a classroom.

Currently a 4 year degree seems like it should be started ASAP, but I've already invested a considerable amount of time and money into becoming a Level III and will most likely still sit for it.  I'm willing to invest more in prep courses if I were convinced it would increase my passing success phenomenally. 

The overall goal is to be in a QA Manager type role or something involving NDE or welding since that is my experience and what I enjoy.  I performed Level III duties writing a written practice and several PT, MT, UT procedures, writing ISO 9001 and AS9100 QA programs, so I am confident I could fulfill the role but I just don't have someone willing to hire me.......yet :-)
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-20-2015 02:40
Level III usually serve in management level positions. As such, the BS is the key that is going to open more doors than the ASNT ACCP Professional NDE Level III.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Level III or BS degree?