Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Un-accredited schools
- - By bndockst Date 01-22-2015 04:59
I am 6G SMAW cert'd and need to learn to TIG.  Anyone hear of this school?

http://www.sparxwelding.net/

They are unaccredited to teach, yet accredited by AWS to test.  From their site "As an AWS Educational Institutional Member, SPARX Welding & Technology utilizes the SENSE Courses."  They are extremely expensive (2 week TIG course=3500 bucks) but they are close to me and I can enroll at any time. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-22-2015 12:24 Edited 01-22-2015 12:26
Welcome to the Forum !

That is spendy !

Before spending that kind of coin (unless you have some sort of grant or GI funding) you should be very clear on a couple of things.

EXACTLY, what you want to learn.

EXACTLY, what they are expert in teaching.

Not every school has instructors that teach what every different student needs eh?

Do you need to learn GTAW of thin aluminum?   or is it heavy wall pipe?  or schedule 10?

Do you need to learn how to do a GTAW root and SMAW fill?

Do you need to learn all of it?

What is your timeline?   How fast do you need to get those GTAW skills to make you money?

One scenario:   If I had decent GTAW skills... I don't mind paying TOP dollar to learn difficult applications (pipe & Combo)...

But If I have Zero GTAW skills, maybe I hook up with the local community college for a semester and get my basic TIG skills down pat, get comfortable with the process and study the technical aspects on my own, with the vast free welding information on the internets....  Then when I know I can Tig weld, pay the big coin to get the special training and testing required to get that weld test at the high paying job location.  Depends on your time/patience.

An ATF (accredited test facility) will be able to test you on about anything, but can they teach to what they test?   Only research on your part will get that answer.   Go talk to the instructors,  go talk to the students on the shop floor.

If you get what you want,,,, It's worth it.    Just make sure both you and them can deliver in the time frame.

With all the ship building in the Gulf Coast and Oil and Gas work,  There are plenty of jobs down there right now.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-25-2015 22:27
I am not sure what "accredited" means in relationship to welding education. (Other than SENSE and an AWS ATF)

Schools may be "accredited" by various organizations that may no nothing about welding.

A school that has authorization to display the SENSE accreditation may just be able to support Level I (Entry Welders).

I would strongly suggest talking to the instructor.  2 Weeks of Tig (80 Hours I imagine) may work wonders for you. Then again, it may take a little more time depending on your goals and existing experience.

Gerald Austin
Have a good day.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Un-accredited schools