Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Great Job Gerald Austin
- - By TimGary (****) Date 01-17-2015 01:28
http://www.ws.edu/news/current/article.aspx?story=695
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-17-2015 01:38
A great many kudos indeed Gerald. 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Tim.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 01-18-2015 02:12
Congrats Gerald, I like your title!

Rod
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-27-2015 02:14 Edited 01-27-2015 12:27
I am not sure where it came from. It was changed once before I even know what it was. I was shooting for the "Grand Pooh-bah of Welding Stuff" but was shot down.

I also am not allowed to publicly refer to the building with the word "center", so there is something to a name.

Gerald
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-18-2015 04:51
Hello Tim, thanks for bringing this information to the forum. I believe that Gerald is a first rate individual and will make a tremendous instructor/program administrator. This sort of notoriety is the type that should be every educator's dream. What better exposure could you ask for? I am hopeful that more community leaders and business people in his/your area will realize that being a part of this endeavor will be so positive for their community and the area and yes KUDOS to Gerald for taking the risk and making the plunge to be a part of this as well. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-20-2015 09:21
Like!
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 01-20-2015 11:33
Thanks for posting Tim.

Looks like you are building the start of future careers in the weld field.  Good for you Gerald.  Btw, what did $300k buy you in equipment now a days?

Tyrone
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-27-2015 12:40
Well,

The 300K didn't all go to welding. Tim was a key player in getting everything selected and did a good job. We have the following.

5 XMT 350Mpa Power Sources
3 Invision 352Mpa Power SOurces
8 S74Mpa Wire Feeders
2 Syncrowave 250's
1 Realweld Trainer
10 Miller Arcstation Tables
1 Doall 1417 Vertical Bandsaw
1 Scotchman 50 Ton Ironworker
1 Lincoln/Torchmate 4x4 plasma table with Hypertherm Powermax 65
1 Sawyer Guided Bend Tester
10 Miller Filtair Fume Extractors
1 Oxy Acet Cart w/Victor Equipment
1 EH Wachs Electric Pipe Beveler
Ingersoll Rand Air Compressor
and associated accessories.

In addition to the welding equipment, there was a considerable amount of training aids and assessment devices purchased for mechanical, pneumatic, electrical, and PLC's. 

There are also two classroom equipped with  Large Screen TV's and support equipment.

I am looking forward to getting started. I am hoping to get things going soon.

Have a good day
Gerald
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-27-2015 12:48
Gerald,

I beg to differ,  tv screens and all that other assessment equipment is still for welding.  It is educational to show them what was done right as well as what was done wrong to aid in the learning process.

So also, code books, and any other item that helps them in their journey to become craftsmen (not gender specific).

Good list of items there.  Wish I could afford to get my hands on some of it. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-27-2015 13:46
Oh yea. The TV will be put to use. I'm a web showing, PowerPoint using kinda guy.

The other equipment consists of small tabletop type training aids for mechanical maintenance. There are some valve cutouts and similar components, but more for the millwright and mechanical maint. trades.  Good stuff cause t hey have had more classes than I have. Industry here has taken a pretty good interest in the maintenance training offerings for mechanical and electrical.

Gerald
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-27-2015 18:06
I did this last week. I'm a better welder than I am a Camera man, Cue Card holder, and speaker. ...and I ain't all that good at welding.

http://youtu.be/KXQmWhFmQ74
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 01-27-2015 21:21
Woot!
Now you can add "Motion Picture Director" to your resume!
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 01-28-2015 01:31
Everyone should have a chance. The opportunities that are opened up by these programs and  old timers like us are priceless. Good job and God bless. Perley
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-27-2015 02:12
Cool. Thanks !!!!!  Now I have to get that picture at the post office taken down!
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-18-2015 01:34
I notice they still won't let Gerald handle sharp tools.

Nice publicity Gerald. Its always good to get recognition for the good work you do.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-27-2015 02:24
I offered to wear my "Sunday gotomeetin" overalls but I was told that was not a good idea.

I haven't actually done much yet other than some consulting. My sales skills may need some work. It may be hard to believe, but I talk too much :)

I am looking forward to starting a few projects. I have most of the quality system together for testing welders (ATF and NON-ATF will all be done with the guidelines of AWS B5.4).

The open enrollment classes have not caught on yet. I guess I should quit telling people that a 20.00 per hour job with 4 hours of training is unlikely!

Have  a good one

Gerald
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Great Job Gerald Austin