Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / New CWI
- - By GregC Date 02-19-2015 01:03 Edited 02-19-2015 02:38
I'm a fairly new CWI. I took my exam last year and passed with an averave of 89% to D1.1. I have been in the business for over 15 years as an ironworker.
I plan on taking the endorsement test structural drawing reading this spring, and the study material AWS recomended was somewhat elementary (IMO).My question is does anyone have some advise on the subject or pointers that may help.
Thanks
Greg
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-19-2015 15:13
Greg,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Now, where has your main work experience been?  In a shop or field? 

Most shop drawings are not going to prepare you for the drawing reading exam.  You will need experience in multiple floor buildings and make sure you know how to go from plan to schedules to General Notes to details and back again.  They will bounce you around a lot to see if you can follow all aspects of an item.  Usually more so than you will actually see on a set of plans.  Make sure you know your welding symbols but that is such a small part of what this exam will do.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By GregC Date 02-19-2015 20:59
Brent,
Thanks for the quick reply.
With 15 years, mostly on power generation and commercial projects. The last couple of years have been in a shop, so I do have that under my belt as well.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-19-2015 21:16
If you enter 'blueprint reading' into the 'search' function in the bar above you will get some previous posts about reference materials.  You will need to go down several before you actually come to some with good references like a book by Lincoln on print reading.  Others as well and a link to some You Tube videos that are educational on plans and reading them.

Brent
Parent - By Len Andersen (***) Date 03-14-2015 14:18
Ladies and Gentlemen,
       Blue Print Reading Might Be Pursued With Computer Programs. It was big end of my work with City of New York as there Weld Man. It appears you are employed. At points in time going forward there will be challenges. One went past me in Manhattan New York saying you know where there is CWI work. I said local chapter AWS meeting worked for me. He said it work for him. Am looking for work.     
Sincerely
Len Andersen  914-536-7101  //   800-4284801
By the by Verizon is running on my telephone lines pursuant to complaint given them from Washington FCC !
Input appreciated. len@spemail.org email best current my one of twenty years weld@spemail hacked out
sort of alive !
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / New CWI