Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI API 1104
- - By willseals (*) Date 03-23-2015 23:22
Hello,

I am taking the CWI seminar and exam in June in Orlando, Florida. I have almost every manual and prep book offered by AWS and beyond. An almost over whelming amount of material. I have over 20 experience in welding and supervising welders (Not a know it all just giving background)... My question is simple. What else do I need as far as books go and other hidden expenses? Code book? other fees or expenses not shown on the surface? I am blowing a good chunk of my savings on the seminar package and just want to know in advance what to expect. Also any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-24-2015 00:32
Will (?),

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!

That is going to depend.  What are you wanting to do?  TPI with your own business?  Work under someone else?  Company QC? 

If going into business for yourself you really have a long way to go.  If working for someone else it all depends upon how much additional tooling you will need for your sector of the industry, weld measuring devices, computer, more code books,  etc.

As far as study goes, there are other threads here with the same questions and information, but, WIT, it workbook and practice exam book, Your chosen code book, and the Part B which is downloadable from this website under certifications.  From the forum you have to go to the 'AWS Website' first.  Then to certifications and just start going through everything.  You'll find it. 

Read everything at least once but concentrate on those books and you will do fine.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By mwmw (**) Date 03-24-2015 02:50
^^^ Never realized Part B was available for download .
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-24-2015 15:01
Okay,  now that I have spent the last hour trying to find it on the new website I think it is actually easier than it was before to find and download but let's go through this the easy way:

Go to aws.org .  Go to 'Certifications' , second selection from the left along the top edge.  Then, go over to the right hand side and go down to 'Certification Documents'.  Then, you will find the 'Book of Specifications' and the language you want it to download in.

All done.  You now have the Part B Book of Specifications for study for the CWI Exam.

Brent
Parent - - By willseals (*) Date 03-25-2015 07:58
Yes I have the hard copy of the part B booklet that a friend gave me. However I've heard that the one we get for study is sometimes different then the one we actually take the test with. I am simple familiarizing myself of the layout and format not so much the content of the book. I have been more focused on metallurgy, PQR, chemical composition of weld wire etc... Things I have dealt with in the field but feel are my weak points. Part B I plan on simply forgetting everything I've learned and just looking up everything in that booklet. I am taking the seminar so I hope that helps.

Is it true they will want to see proof that you bought the API 1104 code book or can j use the tabbed version I have already and use in the field with no receipt?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-25-2015 13:12
As long as it is a published edition and not someone's photocopier printed copy you should not need a receipt.  The way most contractors and people in general are, you can't expect them to have the receipt two days later let alone a couple of years later.  Plus, we can't stop them from borrowing a book.  Who knows where that receipt would be. 

My proctor/monitoring crew checks for improper notes/pages, checks your ID against the list of examinees from Miami and your printed verification of your registration at the exam, and makes sure you don't have a camera or other recording device.  But, not receipts. 

We are lucky if everyone in the room even remembered to BRING their code book let alone a receipt proving it's purchase.  Many will have bought it from someone else and not have gotten a receipt in the first place. 

Yes, the Part B can be different.  But, as you say, the general format is the same and that is what you mostly want to be familiar with so you can find the applicable information quickly. 

Oh, make sure it is the correct edition.... what are they using now?  20th or 21st? 

Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-28-2015 15:10 Edited 03-28-2015 15:17
20th edition of API 1104 (almost a code) is what is used for the seminar and the test. Make sure you request the correct edition (not the latest) when ordering it from API, AWS, or other sources.

If it is a downloaded copy, it must be licensed to the person using it.

This question comes up at every seminar. API jumped on AWS' case for not enforcing the copyright laws. As a result, the test proctor is suppose to make sure it is a legitimate, purchased and paid for copy of the applicable code. Photocopies are not acceptable if the watermark does not bear the candidate's name.

Where I the person taking the test, I would have my own personal copy, downloaded with my name in the water mark (every page) so there is no chance I would be turned away at the door.

As a proctor, I would be obligated to verify each copy is supported by a receipt or watermark. I would not want to be named as a defendant in a copyright suite.

If I'm not mistaken, the copyright license is issued to the individual that purchased the code, not the entire company unless the company holds multiple licenses. It something I would have to look up before making that statement with any certainty.

I looked for the license agreement you have to agree to when downloading API 1104. I couldn't find it. So, tag, you are on your own.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By willseals (*) Date 07-07-2015 14:00
Just to let everyone know... I passed my CWI exam!!!
Parent - - By willseals (*) Date 07-07-2015 14:01
I have passed my CWI certification exam!!!!!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-07-2015 15:56
Congratulations!  Don't stop the learning process.  This is only the beginning.

Brent
Parent - By flawfinder (*) Date 08-12-2015 15:54
congrats...!!!!!!
Parent - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 08-12-2015 20:37
Will,

Congrats!!

Going in Oct. Although my company keeps on asking me to change the dates, something HOT always comes up.
What material should I focus on. Have not been around D1.1 code much throughout my career. Although been hitting the books.
Using a friends Hobart CWI training prep class material from 2013.

I have learned a lot from all the posts from all the AWS forum brothers.

Thanks -
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-08-2015 13:52
Just for the record, I just looked this up for someone in our section the other day, according to the new website section on 'certification' you can test to either the 20th or the 21st but the workbook is still to the 20th ed.

Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-08-2015 14:54
All test questions are based on the 20th Edition of API 1104. The seminar only covers the 20th edition. The practice questions are based on the 20th edition.

Al
Parent - - By mwmw (**) Date 04-08-2015 15:44
So there is a totally separate test if you use the 21st edition?
I noticed the pages referenced on the study guide did not correlate with the book but it wasn't difficult to find the answers. Just wondering if it would be worth it to pay another $300 for the 20th edition
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-08-2015 16:03
Look, if it were me, I'd use the 20th to take the exam.  Al is correct in his break down even though they allow the use of the 21st as well.  The few questions were it may effect the answers they have all worked out to allow for.  But with the practice and seminar based upon it and in all reality the exam based upon it...I'd use the 20th.  I just felt it worth mentioning that according to AWS you CAN use the 21st.

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI API 1104