Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Part A - Fundamentals test question break down
- - By patrickgcruz Date 04-01-2015 16:20
Hello,

I took the CWI Test past November and did not pass it, I am preparing to retake the test the end of this month.  I am trying to go through the test results breakdown and I have a question regarding the specific classifications.  My main question is the category
of WELDING PERFORMANCE, which has 15 questions in the test I took, 10 of which I got right.  I am trying to go through the 220 (Sample Fundamentals Exampination book, 5th. Edition) fundamentals sample book and am trying to sort the questions out in index cards for my own self study when I am on the field.  I guess I am confused if it is either part of WELDING PROCESSES.  If you gentlemen have a copy of the book, can you point out which questions fall into this category?  Thank you.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-01-2015 17:10
Patrick,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Very few people can tell you 'oh, that question is on Metallurgy' or 'that question was on welder qualification'.  The questions are worded in such a way that many of them can qualify for a couple of different things and how the certification committee, via the computer, went through and decided which question fell into this or that category only God knows. 

Analyzing the questions to study 'ONLY' the categories you 'think' you did poorly in is a major mistake.  Go through the Sample Fundamentals book until you know it by heart.  Better yet, go through the WIT book, The Welding Inspection Handbook, and any other material you may have until you are really familiar with all aspects of the welding industry.  Trying to focus on a section you only missed 5 out of the 42 you can miss and still pass the exam is wrong thinking.  I would be willing to bet you missed some from almost every category and if you study it all and pick up 1 or 2 here and there for a total of say 10 extra correct answers you should be good.

That is of course, assuming you were at least close to passing and don't need a complete redo of your goals for getting less than 50% on the exam. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By 803056 (*****) Date 04-04-2015 03:22
No one fails the examination by missing one or two questions. No one failed the test because they were weak in just one subject.

It is best to restudy all subjects and to master every subject area for the next attempt.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Part A - Fundamentals test question break down