Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / New teacher needs record keeping software
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 05-17-2015 19:34
Thank you all for the congrats. Now I need some help. I need to find software for class roster, attendance and class schedule, as well as a way to keep track of the required projects and grades. Any tip will be appreciated. I'm fairly computer literate, but not in Excel.

I'm excited to be able to serve the next group of students coming my way this fall.

Dennis
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-17-2015 20:49
Thats a pity cause an excel spread sheet would suit you down to a tee! It's really not that hard to learn!
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 05-18-2015 11:36 Edited 05-18-2015 11:39
I was given a spread sheet. I'm trying to learn to use it. I keep running into things that don't make any sense. If you can teach, I'll sure try to learn. My email address is in my profile, just click on my name and I will send you the spread sheet.

Dennis
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-19-2015 14:44
I used a  program called "Micrograde" for many years.

It can be computer based or cloud based I think... I just kept it on my computer.

It did all the things a good spreadsheet will do and more.. Except you don't have to build the spreadsheet :)
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-25-2015 13:43 Edited 05-25-2015 13:46
I have developed a few applications for my own use using MS Access.  Though it is a bit more difficult to use than excel, it can be a powerful tool for tracking data (Thats what a database is for).

If you are just interested in tracking info such as attendance dates and notes, then a spreadsheet or even word document is suitable however the ability to report the data in various formats is best done with a database or at least spreadsheet tables.

I am sure there are commercial application suitable for tracking a tremendous amount of information. I may have something you can run in access but as with anything, there is a learning curve.

What I have done may not be suitable for what you need but I figure I will put it out there. Below are some reports from class a few years ago.
Attachment: TrainingActivitiesByClassDate.pdf - A report based upon class date range (100k)
Attachment: ZachClarkStudentActivity.pdf - A report based upon student name (8k)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / New teacher needs record keeping software