Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Pre-Seminar Complete.... Next Step??
- - By m.brown52309 Date 06-01-2015 02:45
Background:
I have 10 years experience in the industrial construction/maintenance industry. I began as a general laborer in a fabrication shop and learned a lot as a mig welder. After a couple years, I got a job as a pipefitter with a larger corporation (I still work there today). I learned a lot about stick welding at this time. Tig is the main welding process in use, however I do not have much hands-on exposure with it personally. I do not have any formal weld training. I was promoted into supervision and then management early on in my career. In this time, I have learned a LOT about all the various types of welding processes from my superiors, peers, subordinates, and consultants. Through these years, I have had an increasing interest in quality, codes, and procedures. I have been assisting in quality control programs, NDE testing, etc. alongside my managerial responsibilities. Again... I do not have formal weld training.

So..... this is my question(s)

Does the fact that I came up through the trades as a fitter and not a welder put me at a greater disadvantage or is the answer to this question based more on my exposure and understanding of welding processes more so than actual time behind a rig?

I see people on these forums with a lot more experience than me asking lots of questions, which makes me feel that I am nowhere near prepared to sign up for a seminar/exam at this point. I have completed all but one of the CWI Pre-Seminar Courses... what other things should I be doing to get myself prepared/educated to take the CAWI/CWI certification exam? I'm really concerned about investing the amount of money it takes to attend a seminar/exam just to find out that I am way in over my head.

Any help to these questions will be greatly appreciated!!
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 06-01-2015 12:34
Great question!
At least you realize that what you're proposing is not an easy challenge.
Before we can really answer your question, please provide some more info.
Which code are you going to test to, and do you truly understand how to navigate and use it?
Do you have any of the books listed in the "Body of Knowledge" for the test you're choosing?
How familiar are you with NDE?
Do you have a good understanding of how welding procedures are qualified and performance testing is performed?

Tim
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 06-03-2015 22:58
m.brown,
Being a good welder has NOTHING to do with passing the CWI exam or being a good inspector.
I once watched a surgeon totally destroy a Thanksgiving turkey. Did this lack of knife slicing skills make him a bad surgeon???
Being well versed in the Body of Knowledge, methodical and detail oriented is far more valuable towards this pursuit than the ability to lay down a slick bead.
While in the trades, I actually spent more time as a Fitter. 1/2 cuz I was a poor welder on test day and 1/2, cuz I find days on end burning rod quite boring.

From what I'm reading on you, I think you will do better on the CWI exam than your average "Golden Arm" shoulder to the holder rod burning wizard.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 06-06-2015 15:15
There is no secret to passing the CWI. All it takes is a lot of studying. Experience as a welder - 10%, studying the materials and developing good reading skills - 85%, good luck and the grace of God - 5%.

Best regards - Al
- By mwmw (**) Date 06-13-2015 23:16
Buy as many of the books they give you during the CWI seminar and start studying them;)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Pre-Seminar Complete.... Next Step??