Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Allowable books for cwi test
- - By motomikey Date 06-06-2015 18:08
Are you allowed to use certification manual or Inspection handbook during testing ?
The two above books are borrowed and have highlighting in them is this problem ?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-06-2015 19:05
Those books are mostly for the General Knowledge portion of the exam which is a CLOSED BOOK EXAM.  So, NO, you are not allowed to use them.  You can study anything though most of the needed info is in the WIT book. But none of them are allowed open during the exam. 

The only open book is your chosen code book during the Part 'C' : Open Codebook Exam.  Then you can use your D1.1, API 1104, or whatever. 

The Part 'B': Bogus Book, or, more properly, the Book of Specifications, exam has it's own book that is also an open book as far as that goes.  But there are no other books allowed besides it.

Highlighting is not a problem with most testing especially for AWS CWI exam.  They encourage it.  But, only for the open codebook exam.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-07-2015 19:21
Hello Brent;

I am not sure of what you mean by your comment:

"Highlighting is not a problem with most testing especially for AWS CWI exam.  They encourage it.  But, only for the open codebook exam."

Maybe you can elaborate on that subject.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 06-07-2015 21:21
Although I am not Brent, I extracted the following from the Applicant Instructions found the the documents section of the Certification  tab on the home page.
"Part C: CODEBOOK – ......Prior to the examination, you may tab or highlight your codebook. Written notes in the margins are also allowed. Errata sheets provided by the publisher or distributor of the codebook are permitted. You are NOT allowed to write in your codebook or highlight your codebook during the examination. Candidates found writing in their codebook will immediately be removed from the classroom resulting in disqualification from the exam and forfeit all examination fees."
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-07-2015 21:48
Very informative Martin. Thank you.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-07-2015 23:22
Martin's comment is what I was meaning.  DURING the seminar or during self study you may highlight any portions of the code book you wish.  You can use that highlighted book during the exam. 

BUT, YOU MAY NOT HIGHLIGHT DURING THE EXAM.  That will get you removed.  As will making any kind of additional notes in your book during the exam. 

So, the way I read the OP's question was as to if it were allowable to use a highlighted book during the exam, to which I say 'yes'. 

The seminar instructors I have heard tell you you may during the seminar.  The website and applicant information tell you you can.  And my instructions as a proctor say highlighted books are allowed. 

But not the books referred to in the OP's first line question. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Allowable books for cwi test