Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Temper bead
- - By hboeff Date 06-24-2015 18:26
Need some expert advice,

I am not familiar with temper bead welding and have a project to weld the top passes on 12" pipe groove weld using a temper bead sequence.  I have done some research and found some info stating that the heat input must be increased for each pass....is this required or can the beneficial outcome of temper bead be obtained simply by using overlapping passes(30 to 70%)?
If so heat input must be increased with each pass would that increase need to be outlined in the WPS?

Thank you for your input!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-25-2015 09:21
Normally a repair of this type would be performed utilizing a WPS that has been qualified and tested to assure the desired results are obtained.

My experience is limited to reapairs of cracked steam drum ligaments. I performed the PQR and also.performed the repair  welds. Heat input was maintained at a fairly consistent level by close monitoring of preheat/interpass and energy input.

This does NOT mean what you speak of is not worth looking into. The repairs I performed were "half bead" temper techniques in which the every layer that was deposited on the bevels was partially removed by grinding prior to depositing the next layer.

I strongly suggest reviewing the WPS and if one does not exist, qualifying one using the parameters you are to use and obtaining suitible mechanical test results (Tensile, Hardness,impacts, and bends).

Understand that I am by no means an expert and I strongly suggest you contact a welding engineer.

These repaies are not to be taken lightly.

Gerald Austin
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 06-25-2015 13:02
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Temper bead