Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding certs
- - By krash661 Date 07-16-2015 19:49
in the past,i obtained 5 certs in structural steel. since then i have lost them along with the files. my question is can i receive a copy or such of them from AWS, and if so, how do i go about in doing so ?
thanks in advance for this help. i appreciate this.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-16-2015 20:12
Hey Krash,  Welcome to the Forum.

You probably need to go to the lab/school/inspector directly who certified you in order to get a copy.

Also know that there will be limited value in the paper even if you can get it.

Most certs don't transfer from one company to another and also require proven continuity, meaning that if you don't have records by the employer that verify you working with the cert, they are invalidated.

Nonetheless,  they will show somebody that you at one time were able to pass those tests.  Which in turn may encourage them to test you again to their own certification standards.

Again Welcome to the forum.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-16-2015 20:22
I concur with Lawrence, but would like to add that AWS has no authority to collect welder performance test records. Like any business, AWS does very little unless there is money in it for them.

Oh, wait, that's what the National Registry is suppose to be all about. Pay the piper, test at an ATF, send in your two box tops and two thin dimes into Miami and you too can be included in the National Registry. Whether anyone will accept the paper is a different conversation.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By krash661 Date 07-16-2015 20:24
" You probably need to go to the lab/school/inspector directly who certified you in order to get a copy. "

i thought AWS had records also, i had to file with them. using my s.s id and everything.
so basically i have to hunt down the inspectors ? that's weird. what if they are not inspectors anymore or i have no clue who they are by name and other suchs. what do i do then ?

" Most certs don't transfer from one company to another and also require proven continuity, meaning that if you don't have records by the employer that verify you working with the cert, they are invalidated "

yeah i already knew that.

" Nonetheless,  they will show somebody that you at one time were able to pass those tests.  Which in turn may encourage them to test you again to their own certification standards. "

yes, this is exactly why i need them. i'm thinking about starting to weld again.

" Again Welcome to the forum "
thank you.
Parent - - By krash661 Date 07-16-2015 20:27
what bothers me is i had a full pen for  e71t-8[nr 232] .072
and full pen in e7018.
Parent - - By krash661 Date 07-16-2015 20:30
i wonder if the inspectors that certified me would be on here.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-18-2015 11:00
I think what most are saying is did you go to an Accredited Testing Facility or just a regular unaccredited lab/school.

I've been testing at an ATF and he files all of the paperwork with AWS directly. You get assigned a number that he files the paperwork under so if you are on a job or whatever the inspector, perspective employer can go to the AWS site and look up your ID number. I have not tried to look myself up as my official paperwork is still in process.

If you went thru one of the unaccredited labs you will likely have to go back to them to see if they have your info on file.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-18-2015 02:27
If you tested at an AWS Accredited test facility, there are policies and procedures in place within the quality system that maintain your records in a manner that can receive your test. You would have been issued a unique ID number that links you to your records.

Any other system may use any number of methods to maintain control of your your information.

The best place to look is with the person/organization that tested you.

If you did not test as an AWS Certified Welder, then there is no centralized location for your records other than the organization that tested you.

Good thing about it, most companies worth working for will test you anyway. Thats half the fun of being a welder!

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-18-2015 12:58
Even if you tested with an ATF, they do not hold on to the records indefinitely if the welder does not pay the required fees.

Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-18-2015 16:06
The length that the ATF holds the records should be addressed withing their quality system.

Regardless of industry organization affiliation, any organization or individual that tests and certifies welders should have a documented system that identifies how they control records. Even if it just says the person tested shall maintain all copies of records.

I think "video records" would be the way to go. I have some ideas for a booth that records all activity and streams real time if needed. THAT would be a welder qualification record.

Have a great day Al. Thanks again for your time the other day too.

Gerald Austin
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding certs