Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / LN-25 help needed
- - By tywoodby (*) Date 08-07-2015 20:46
First time posting here. Real quick, I'm a union ironworker from ohio, do alot of welding. Most of my welding is with stick or Flux core  (knife connections lugs, moment welds, ect). I'm currently welding moments with ln25 that looks like it should be in the Smithsonian. Running 3m wire 5/64 threw it. As old and crappy as the 25 looks it runs great, BUT it's  always *hot*. Not temperature hot but shock you a 100 times a day and arch out on everthing in sight and go threw multiple tips a day kinda hot. Today was a good day only flashing myself about 4 times and going through 2 tips. Anyways,  now that ive set the mood and given you a perfect visual of whats going on, what the heck is wrong with this machine? Is it a short, wired wrong/backwards, is missing something and hard wired? I have no clue. Thats why im here. Any ideas about whats going on, pictures would help a ton, part # whatever. Any info will really be appreciated.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-07-2015 21:30
Hello tywoodby, it is very well because your particular LN-25 isn't equipped with a contactor solenoid. It is an option on many of the suitcase feeders and by the sounds of it, your "Smithsonian" candidate is one of them. A lot of the earlier voltage sensing feeders were always hot on the wire and only fed wire when the trigger was pulled. They also had options for contactor control and a gas solenoid, keyword being "options".

Could be that the input power lug has possibly grounded to the internal metal framework of the feeder as well (at least what little of it is metal. Try tracing down the electrical feed and seeing if you can find some worn or exposed parts that shouldn't be. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-07-2015 21:46
Hello tywoodby you said this is your first post I hope it want be your last you said you work for the  Ironworkers  union don't they have a someone to fix thing's like that.

M.G.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-08-2015 03:10
Tywoodby,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Now, to business: 

First, that machine should have a small gauge wire coming from it that usually has a small spring clamp to attach to the item being welded.  That is in addition to your normal work lead/clamp, and electrode/gun.

Second, as Allan mentioned, that electrode will ALWAYS be HOT.  Power to it all the time.  If you don't hit the trigger to start the wire feed before getting a short stickout from the tip too close to the work it will flash back to the tip and arc out every time.  Keep the tip back a little and hit the trigger to start the wire feeding and let it push itself into the work.  Try to do this ahead of where you want the puddle to start then pull it back and weld over top of the arc strikes that are in the weld area so they are not a problem.  Or, use run off tabs. 

Third, that particular LN 25 more than likely will not run well on a machine that is not constant voltage.  D1.1 says they must be CV anyway but many older units are not.  I had a SA300 that was not.  And if the gas engine is not running really good it will surge pretty bad.  Impossible to weld good. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-09-2015 23:16
I have an LN25, probably came over on the Ark with Noah. Using an old Tweco dual shield gun, running 1/16th self shielded wire. I get everything set up right and I use maybe one tip a day, might change it once. A guy I welded with on another job kept a dump truck full of tips for his suitcase. Might not be the welder but the welder?? I've used the same tip for two days. Lots and lots of welding, not just tack welding. :grin:

You say "hot" are you talking voltage/amperage hot? How much welding lead are you running from the power source to the suitcase? Are you setting up the voltage on the analog gauge on the front of the suitcase? Or setting the power source? You will find a substantial voltage drop thru lengths of wire. I've run 400 feet of 2/0 with 7018 and set the machine around 125 and never notice a difference whether I'm running 100 feet of lead or 450'.

On the suitcase it seems it is much more sensitive. I added 100 feet and set the suitcase wire feed speed and it was super cold. I had to turn up the power source 2-3 volts to achieve the voltage I wanted at the suitcase to match wfs. I used a 20 foot 2/0 lead to connect to my suitcase, a 20 foot for the work connection. Voltage was still slightly off. Harder to read on the analog gauge but the LN25 is a tank, durable, simple, unlike the completion with the fancy digital stuff. Stick out, settings, clean weld surface? How old is the wire? Ran some stuff I bought a few weeks ago to do some practice tests and it was spattering a lot more than a good new spool.

Just my input, have talked to a few guys that go thru tips like kids in a candy store, I just think in my head, "is that normal and what I am doing is wrong?".
- - By tywoodby (*) Date 08-07-2015 22:05
Thanks for the info. I'll have to dig into it some time this weekend. And to answer ur question about the union fixing things, the union hall has nothing to do with fixing the equipment we use. Thats all on the contractor.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 08-08-2015 04:14
The non-contactor models are intended for use when a higher output / duty cycle is required.  Generally with large limited position wires on structural steel.

I was issued one and I wanted to throw that F'g thing off the building a few times per day.  With the extra expense of all the wasted contact tips a contractor model could be bought instead.... However that doesn't mitigate the reduced duty cycle of the contractor model.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-09-2015 01:47
tywoodby are you the contractor.

M.G.
- - By tywoodby (*) Date 08-08-2015 13:33
I'm using a machine with CV, and running through atleast a 16lb spool a day. It has the low voltage wire on it. Kinda ganky but its there and works.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-08-2015 16:59
When you are not welding and press the trigger do you hear a "clicking" sound from the LN? If you do not and you only see the wire feeding out then it is likely that the unit that you are using doesn't have a contactor kit in it and that is the reason for the wire always being hot. This cannot be changed without installing a contactor kit.

The reason for that extra "ganky" wire is that the feeder uses welding current to drive the feed unit and also how it keeps the wire feed speed constant when you are using a CC welding power source, hence the term: Voltage Sensing Feeder. This is also how the feeder provides "constant" wire speed by internally increasing wire speed when the arc voltage goes up (as arc length increases) and slows it down when the arc voltage goes down (arc length decreases). Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 08-08-2015 17:36
Allan, it sounds like you are implying that older non-contactor LN25s were made without a cc/cv switch inside (which actually selects between variable WFS or constant WFS function).  Is this right?   I don't remember ever seeing a LN25 that didn't have a selector switch between cc (variable WFS) and cv (constant WFS).  But it has been a LONG time since I have used one without a contactor.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 08-08-2015 19:16
Hello Blaster, most of them that I have been around have had both a polarity selector switch on the front panel (to control wire feed direction when selecting between DCEN and DCEP current) and also a selector switch for CC/CV inside of the case to select the type of power source that they are connected to.

It's been so long since I have used any without the contactor capability (both LN-25 and LN-22) that my memory is a bit fuzzy about all of their capabilities and control selections. I'll have to try to shake the cobwebs out and see if anything else comes to mind. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By tywoodby (*) Date 08-10-2015 21:56
UPDATE.  Today at work i noticed there was no "click" sounds when i pull the trigger.  I know that noise your talking about and it didn't occur to me it was missing until i red your post.  So, in conclusion the LN25 that i have been using apparently doesn't have the Contractor Kit.  Thanks for all the posts and info.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-09-2015 18:43
Interesting post. The question I have is why is the inspector allowing the use of a constant current machine for FCAW? The process is not prequalified since around 2008. As such, the WPS must be qualified by testing.

Al
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-09-2015 19:39
Al, the OP did say that he was using a CV machine. He just hasn't really spelled out how his particular LN-25 is equipped option wise (contactor/gas solenoid). Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-09-2015 22:40
The question is whether the power supply is CC or CV or CC/CV. Just because the wire feeder is switched to CV doesn't mean it is if the power supply is CC.

If the wire feeder is as old as I am, it wouldn't be shocking to discover the power supply is as well! :yell:

Al
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-09-2015 23:38
Al it sounds like to me the stick out is always (HOT) all the time is that Constance Current or is that Constance Voltage.

M.G.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-10-2015 00:22
I've seen it both ways.

Al
- - By tywoodby (*) Date 08-10-2015 00:25
The power source  is a lincoln 400 set to cv
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 08-10-2015 12:13
The old LN-25s I used years ago had a contactor switch installed, but would act as you described when the contactor failed.
Hey Guys, how can he find out if there is a contactor installed on his machine?

Tim
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 08-21-2015 03:03
Your ln25 probably doesn't have a contactor. You can get a tip protector that screws on and is insulated.
- - By Dualie (***) Date 08-10-2015 01:24
I have several of the non conctactor LN-25's  that are the old grey cases.   We joke they pre date the new testament,  they work fine for welding in 1-g or NR-211 for architectural things, but they are a real pain in the rear if you're trying to run verticals.   Some times you need to pause the arc to let the slag catch up and they suck at that.     Takes some getting used to for sure but they are good stand by kick around feeders.     Not something i put on the "front line"  

as for contact tips some days i can 60Lbs of wire through a single tip some days i change them every hour.      Tacking is worse on them than anything it seems. 

I think CV applications are far more sensitive to having a bunch of lead thrown out than CC operations i figure adding 1 volt for every 75' of lead i add as a base line.  sometimes you have to tune it from there.
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 08-11-2015 00:06
A lot of the engine drive machines that are made to run a wire feeder have a " contactor" built into them......Lincoln D-10's and Ranger 250 DLX's( all now discontinued ) And in Blue 350 Pros have a on/off switch for "built in contactors"
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / LN-25 help needed