Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Part B CWI
- - By Donny Gill Date 09-09-2015 22:43
I need some help like many others with my CWI test. I took it a couple of weeks ago and passed everything other than Part B. I am currently looking for some material or practice test questions for this part. Is there any recommendations where to find some.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-09-2015 23:56
Donny,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

One of your best bets is to go up to the top bar here and use the 'Search' function.  Enter in 'Part B'.  You will get all kinds of help from previous posts on this subject.  More than I could reasonably review here. 

But, remember, Part B is similar to but not at all the same as D1.1.  Don't try to go from memory.  Don't try to second guess it.  Use the tables and formulas that are given in the body of the exam.  They will slightly change things to make sure you are using what is provided there.  It is an exam to prove, for one thing, that you can grab ANY code book and inspect to it without crossing details between codes.  The annex on weld profile acceptance/rejection criteria is different than Table 6.1 in D1.1.  Don't confuse them and make sure you have read through the Part B Book of Specifications.  Even take some time to compare it with D1.1 to see the differences. 

Learn some basics about how tensile pulls work.  How to distinguish between different forms of NDT- MT, UT, PT, and RT.  There will be a couple of questions about them that while on their own you could miss and still pass the Part B portion, add them to some of the others you will miss and you end up missing too many. 

You have taken it once now.  So, get in there and study and learn some things you didn't know before. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-10-2015 01:00
Don't put it off. There is a new Part B in the works. I don't know when the launch date it.

Al
Parent - By Donny Gill Date 09-10-2015 01:54
I know this new test starts the first of the year so I an taking it again this December... Wish e luck.
- - By mwmw (**) Date 09-10-2015 01:43 Edited 09-10-2015 01:47
PM me your email and i can get you out a bunch of practice question. The instructor i had for my seminar gave us about 30 extra practice questions i can share with you. He is on the committee developing the new PART B exam so they do require a bit more critical thought.
Do you know what your weak part on the test was ? I found many of the answers came in the footnotes of the tables and could be easily overlooked if you were not very familiar with them
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-10-2015 04:24
True of both the open codebook and the Part B.  They love to run you through those footnotes so make sure you read them before you answer a question.

Brent
Parent - - By Donny Gill Date 09-10-2015 16:38
that would be great. Anything and everything helps. I tried IM you but just in case could you send anything you got to -  dony_1970@yahoo.com
Parent - By mwmw (**) Date 09-10-2015 16:56
Sent
Parent - - By Scrap15 Date 10-23-2015 19:16
I also took the CWI exam in August, failing Part B, on my 1st Re-Test. I am looking for some practice questions, if anyone has them
Parent - By mwmw (**) Date 10-23-2015 22:13
Message me your email and I got some
- - By hvymax (**) Date 09-12-2015 12:47
I thought the entire point of part B was to use the code in front of you. If you attempt to base any of your answers on any actual code you will get the wrong answer.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-12-2015 22:39
Absolutely true and noted above.

BB
Parent - - By mwmw (**) Date 09-14-2015 22:32
Did anyone else receive the email invite to participate in the new Beta Part b class and exam in Miami next month?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-14-2015 23:11
I think Al already did one. 

Other than that, not I.

Brent
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 09-15-2015 11:54
Yup. Would like to go, but can't at this time.

Tim
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-15-2015 12:23
I got one :)
Parent - - By mwmw (**) Date 09-15-2015 12:50 Edited 09-15-2015 15:59
Are you going Lawrence?  I will be going. I figured by the time my 3 yr renewal comes up my daughter will be in college and my money may be tighter. At least this way I won't have to worry about the renewal fee in 3 yrs. Ha
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-15-2015 16:37
Not sure how schedule will work yet.   9 year coming around the bend and not decided how to satisfy that :)

Would like to
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Part B CWI