Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWEng?
- - By JWinspect Date 09-14-2015 14:26
Does anyone know anything about the AWS CWEng?? Are preparatory seminars offered for the certification or do you have to pretty much buy all the codes/standards underlined in B5.16 and take your best shot..? I do not know of anyone that has this cert so any advice and info is appreciated.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-14-2015 18:49
JW,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Some others know more about this program than I, but, there are no seminars for it.  Take your best shot.

Make sure you go through all information available on the AWS Website and review all documents.

This Cert has very limited value.  More of a resume builder and cash cow for AWS than anything.  Very few companies request this cert for any job position and your time and money would be better spent going after either college degrees or other qualifications.

Just my two tin pennies worth.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 09-15-2015 09:09
A mechanical engineer friend told me it was harder than the Professional Engineers exam.
And Brent is is correct, it was an Incredible resume builder for him.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 09-15-2015 20:54
I've also been considering the CWEng cert and would appreciate any info.

Thanks,
Tim Gary
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-15-2015 22:08
Hey Tim,

I was talking to Denny Davis from Lincoln and he dropped your name.  He is willing to buy us dinner next time I'm in your neck of the woods....  Get ready :)

Sorry to bomb the thread...
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 09-16-2015 12:09
Hi Larry,

Denny speaks very highly of you and your skills, which means he's probly smarter than I thought he was... :twisted: just teasing, I know he's bright.
Looking forward to seeing you again.

Tim
- - By In Tension (**) Date 09-15-2015 22:59
I've never actually met anybody with the CWEng (that I know of) and wonder what it really brings to the table for an otherwise qualified engineer... if you're otherwise qualified, the exam is exempt for PE's.  I think the main draw here is to give people who never had the time or means to gain a 4-year degree a way of expressing their qualifications/experience.  The question then remains, are employers accepting the cert in lieu of a degree?  I dunno.  As a person who will probably never finish college I'd like to think so. 
Unfortunately, I think the fact that not many of us have, or know somebody who has, the CWEng implies that it's not incredibly valuable in the marketplace.  I would think if it held considerable weight it would be more prevalent.
Compared to more college, the price is right... although the books could break the bank.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 09-16-2015 12:41
Thanks In Tension.
You've summed up why the CWEng is attractive to me, as I've never had the time or means to get a degree.
I've built a resume through wide ranging experience over the years that negates the need for a degree, including an SCWI, but I think a CWEng would be a good addition. I like the fact that I can get that cert simply be demonstrating my knowledge through passing the "Final Exam", without having to go through years of collegiate pre-requisite courses to get to that point.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think that having that cert would make me qualified to start passing myself off as a PE, it's just a value adding resume addition.
The thing that concerns me about being able to pass the exam is the mathematics, which is not my strong suit. I intend to take some of the necessary collegiate math courses as part of my study regimen, but would love to discuss the exam with someone who's taken it in order to help me ensure I'm concentrating on the right things.
AWS B5.16 does a pretty good job of detailing the body of knowledge, but every little bit helps.

How about you JWInspect? Not trying to hijack your post, just adding comments, trying to drum up responses. Why are you interested in CWEng?

Tim
- - By Oluwajana Date 09-16-2015 13:34
Hi everyone.

From all I've read here so far, no one seem to know any CWEng, which makes it more interesting for me to become 1. Well, preparation for the course is in full speed but I really need to know why IOC's prefer IIW- IWE to the CWEng?
I am a CWI, CSWIP, IWI-C, B.Tech Mechanical Engineering holder,what advantage does the CWEng give me above these....advice is well appreciated.

Thanks,
Oluwajana.
Parent - By Wediko Date 09-09-2016 10:28
AWS welding Engineer certification is a good platform to test and demonstrate your knowledge and ability. The only problem is that there is no standard or specification that mandate companies to have AWS certified welding engineer; therefore few companies who appreciate the value of the certification require their welding engineer to be certified. IWE and PE in principle is not better AWS CWEng; the reason they are more popular is that ISO standard requires IWE and PE is a legal requirement.
Am AWS CWEng.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWEng?