Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Quick Question: F-No & A-No, where are they?
- - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 09-30-2015 15:51 Edited 10-07-2015 19:33
Hey All,

I've been searching around and for the life of me I can't seem to located a nice list of F-No's and A-No's in any one or two documents. There is an old AWS B3.0 -77 that shows them, but to me that document seems outdated. As well, I'm searching up and down for just a .pdf of the current AWS B2.1, and I can't seem to locate it.

I've looked at:

AWS B3.0-77
https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/ibr/003/aws.b3.0.1977.pdf

AWS B2.1/B2.1M-BMG:2009-ADD1
https://app.aws.org/technical/B2.1-B2.1M-BMG-2009-ADD1.pdf

And what appears to be the most current:
AWS B2.1/B2.1M-BMG:2014
https://www.aws.org/library/doclib/B2.1-B2.1M-BMG-2014.pdf

But none of the recent documents seem to share the same, easy to navagate list as was provided on AWS B3.0-77.

So my question to you, the experienced many, is: What is/Where is the current edition of AWS B3.0-77 located?

I've sent out a request to the AWS, and once I get a response I'll be sure to add it on here, until then, I look for your help.

Cheers!

EDIT:

The offical response from the AWS came in, and here it is to help out an others that may ask this question:
B2.1/B2.1M:2014, Specification for Welding Procedure and Performance Qualification contains a filler metal grouping table as Annex B with the following:

“B1. F-Numbers

The F-Number grouping of electrodes and welding rods given in Table B.1 is based primarily on their usability characteristics, which fundamentally determine the ability to make satisfactory welds with a given filler metal and welding process. This grouping is made to reduce the number of welding procedure and performance qualifications, where this can logically be done. The grouping does not imply that filler metals within a group may be indiscriminately substituted for the filler metal that was used in the qualification test weldment without consideration of the compatibility of the base and filler metals from the standpoint of metallurgical properties, postweld heat treatment, design, service requirements, and mechanical properties. The groupings in Table B.1 follow essentially the F-Number designations established by the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section IX. Filler metals not listed in Table B.1, but assigned an F-Number by ASME Section IX, are considered as listed filler metals.

B2. A-Numbers

The classification of ferrous weld metal for procedure qualification is given in Table B.2. Those A-Numbers follow essentially the A-Number designations established by the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section IX.”

If that is what you are looking for, B2.1 is available through our bookstore at http://pubs.aws.org/p/1246/b21b21m2014-specification-for-welding-procedure-and-performance-qualification. You might also want to look at ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section IX.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 09-30-2015 20:59
Far as I know, F# and A# currently come from ASME IX.  I think B2.1 is the current Procedure and Performance Document.
Parent - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 10-01-2015 13:44
Thanks,!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-01-2015 01:28
A, F, and other identification systems are located in B2.1.  I don't have it with me to give you page numbers.

Brent
Parent - - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 10-01-2015 13:44
Thanks!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-01-2015 13:52
All I have on my computer is the '98 edition, they are in annex 'C' on page 65.  Metal Groupings and M #'s are in annex 'D' on page 69 I think it was. 

Will be home this weekend and may be able to look it up Monday in the new edition.

BTW, WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 10-01-2015 17:03
Thank ya for the welcome. I'll be sure to ask my questions and add my experience into this pool. Thanks all!
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 10-02-2015 14:14
It is still in Annex C, pp 69-72, 2009 Edition
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-07-2015 14:35
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-24-2016 15:08
I found the F and A numbers in B2.1:2014 in Annex B
F-no's
Table B.1(pages 72 -74) and
A-no's
Table B.2(page 74)
- By 803056 (*****) Date 10-07-2015 03:38
ASME Section IX includes a listing of F numbers and a table used to determine the A-number of the weld deposit. The A-number can be determine by several different means.

AWS B2.1 uses M-numbers instead of P numbers. The F-numbers are the same as those found in ASME Section IX. That wasn't always the case. AWS used different F-numbers for the filler metals used by each welding process instead of the F-6 which is now a dumping ground for all ferrous filler metals not included in F1 through F6.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Quick Question: F-No & A-No, where are they?