Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Protecting CWI career
- - By hevydoti432 Date 01-04-2016 22:06
I recently got my certification and got offered a job as a QC.

Problem is that the welding work that is done is not done under any code. There is no paperwork that states the work in done under any code either. I even asked and was told that the work will not be per any code and the subject is expressed openly to the customers.

I guess what I am asking is, "is there something I could do in this situation to cover my own tail." If it is not code I will not be using my stamp that's for sure, but is that enough, or would I need to make a written statement and sign it?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-04-2016 23:48
Hevy,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

In house QC can have a good many duties that don't necessarily align to any code.  Some may not even have a QC Manual that states how the company does things. 

When you get hired you need to get as much as possible stated and on paper for documentation so you know what they actually expect of you.  But just working without an applicable code is not an issue.

They may want a sense of finished work quality that only they can express to you and then you make sure is conformed to.  They may want outsourced materials checked at receiving: machined parts, special orders, even steel, to make sure it conforms to their PO or other ordering criteria. 

In house QC documents that the correct number and grade of specified sizes of bolts are received for a specific job, gets everything marked and stored properly and then even issues them to the correct job when they are ready for that part.  They mic parts to make sure dimensions are correct from a machine shop.  They make sure the consumables are correct for the various jobs going on.  ETC.

No reason to get too excited about not having a specific code to work from.  There are lots of other responsibilities that define QC besides just looking at welds.  And, maybe they want someone who can work from a code when the occasion presents itself.  Then, how about welder qualifications?  WPS's?  Maybe they just need some prodding on some of these and they will realize they had more of a need than they thought. 

Good luck if you take it.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By hevydoti432 Date 01-05-2016 00:08
Brent,
Thanks for the comforting information, and yes I am hoping that it is a good position where I can continue to gain more inspection experience.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-06-2016 13:31
You haven't stated what the work is. Non Code applications happen everyday. In other words you wouldn't need ASME or AWS for a wrought iron fence.
Parent - - By Trackergd (**) Date 01-05-2016 17:09
That sounds exactly like what I do.....  Wait... The job is not in PA is it?  :confused:
Parent - By hevydoti432 Date 01-05-2016 21:14
It's not.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-05-2016 22:38
No referenced code cuts both ways. You can't hold them to a code requirement, but neither can you be held to it either.
Regardless of any requirements, it's always wise to document what you do. Especially if you raise a concern and it's ignored.
It would be I'll advised to push the issue other than raising it to begin with if there are no specific contractual or code requirements, but recording in a log what the concern was and when/who you raised it with is prudent.
- - By msharitt (**) Date 01-06-2016 14:03
I'm in the same situation, as well as a what I would consider a smaller shop, but Brent covered it well.

As far as code, I'm on the payroll for the times when welders need certified and the customer states it's to a code.

Documentation, I document everything. I personally carry a tablet around and I make notes and forms of every job and piece. Who done it, when they done it, if anything was wrong with it, when and how it got fixed. Note taking takes place no matter what goes through the shop. I do usually put it in a nicer form I've created if anyone other than myself is going to see it.

When it comes to QC that keeps me busy from one end to the other when I'm not doing other work. Checking material as it comes in the shop, MTRs if needed, machine tolerance. Dimensional checking for fitters, overall weld quality. Blast profiles, mil thickness and anything else they can think of.

My apologies for rambling but for the OP the simple answer in my opinion is documentation. Especially if there is a non-conformance.
Parent - - By hevydoti432 Date 01-06-2016 21:26
All good information guys, appreciated.

I talked to the company some more and explained my situation to them. The company told me that one day they would like to move in the direction of welding units per the required codes, but for right now they are looking for someone that can develop a shop standard. I guess a shop standard that does not require the heavy cost of third party NDE, such as x-ray, PT, UT.... They want to stick to the old fashion eye and VT, hydro test, and diesel test.

The work is pressure vessels, heaters, boilers, separator, and battery tanks. Still would not use my stamp is this situation of course. Any ideas on where to start?

On another note, can a CWI develop a WPS or can a WPS only be developed by a SCWI?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-07-2016 01:50
You don't NEED either to develop a WPS, especially a pre-approved WPS.  But, ONLY a SCWI is expected to be able to complete the forms properly and make sure everything is up to par. 

The fun part is getting them right.  Many think they can, few are able to prove it.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-07-2016 13:13
hevy,
I still think your breathlessness is unwarranted. You have a deep concern about the use of your stamp and yet ASME (the presumed jurisdiction of these pressure vessels and boilers) couldn't give a schit about that stamp anyway. Which means that your stamp is irrelevant to the Codes of which you have concern. In other words you are concerned about using your stamp where nobody cares if you use your stamp. I'd say use the stamp if you wish. You paid for it. All it means is that you have verified compliance with 'whatever'. It has NOTHING to do with the Codes.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-07-2016 13:28
And I would disagree with Brent to an extent. Some obscure 'turf oriented' asinine rule of which I am unaware notwithstanding, from a  practical standpoint, anybody can write a WPS. Though he is dead on when he says that this does not mean that anybody is capable of doing it well. It is actually surprisingly difficult to get right.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-07-2016 15:18
Well there you have it, use your CWI knowledge to develop your in house acceptance standard for VT. Sounds like you're company is looking for some consistency in their welding and something to hold the men accountable for so they just can't run amuck with how the welds look. It's also good to have a procedure with acceptance criteria in it so the men can't accuse you of picking on them and their welds. You just have to point to bible and verse in your procedure and tell them to fix it. If the company is looking to go toward being code compliant someday, I would write your VT procedure in line with ASME Sec V making you own tweaks to acceptance criteria based off one of the piping code sections or pressure vessel code sections for the time being. These are good starting points and right now can't really be incorrect because you aren't working to any code. About your stamp. I'd keep it at home in the safe just incase someday you work for a company doing AWS code compliant work. :wink:

Kix
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-07-2016 18:30
Workmanship samples :)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Protecting CWI career