Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld Test Timing (How long does a 1" qualification take?)
- - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 01-15-2016 14:50
Hey All,

We're setting up a few weld tests here in the near future. My questions to you is if you have a welder performing the qualification test for FCAW Vertical (Vertical V groove (5.75" long , 1/4" root opening, steel backing, 45° total bevel (22.5° per side) 1" thick material). The FCAW uses 1/16th" wire at 232-285 amps, 22-28 Volts, and 204-250ipm WFS.)

All materials provided, not fit up. How long would you estimate an entire test to take?

Thanks!
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 01-15-2016 19:12
I have administered that exact test nearly 20 times in the last 6 months or so (other than the wire size, we use .052), and have seen times from less than 2 hours to as long as 5 hours. It really depends on several factors, mostly the skill and confidence levels of the welder performing the test. No two are alike, that's for sure...
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-15-2016 19:17
WELL....

You didn't tell us the type and grade of material?
You didn't tell us the manufacturer and trade name/number of the electrode?
Does your WPS for the test state an inches per minute Travel Speed?
Does your WPS call out a Maximum inter-pass temperature?
Are you wanting to see how fast they are or how good they are?
Are you timing to see that they can do the work productively as well as pass the qualification test?
Who says you have to time it?
Are they preparing the samples (removing backing and cutting to size) as well as fitting?

20 minutes to 2 hours.  Over that is really dogging it.  Even if allowing for some cool down time for heat input.  Longer if they must prepare the coupons.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 01-15-2016 19:58
My experience has been that 100% of the time they take much longer to complete a welding test than they take to complete a production weld.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-15-2016 22:29
I agree.  Especially if they haven't taken many tests.  Then they exercise great care with every pass.  Too much most of the time. 

But, I am only asking trying to see what their purpose is in asking and timing the exam.

Brent
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 01-18-2016 21:21 Edited 01-18-2016 21:25
oh and when they get that arc blow for the first time haha... anger soon follows! Then the new clock 'o frustration kicks in and they crumble.  Ive seen so many students show up one day super confident and feelin it.  Then they are a few passes away from the test being done and then the arc wanders and blows out the edge of the end of the plate..  or one student who was just cooking the plate.  Turned the plate blue..  on his was to finishing it up in 2 hours, and a light angle change on the gun and POW a nice .50 CAL size hole blows clean through the center of the 1" plate.  Cant help but sit back and laugh at how impatient they get.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 01-18-2016 05:58
If fit up preparation by others, less than 2hrs probably.

One test coupon in the morning and one test coupon in the afternoon, that is fair enough for qualifying a welder in two different welding positions or processes.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-18-2016 13:11
Whatever your conclusion I wouldn't get too wrapped up in time limits were I you. I don't believe in them. You need to watch the welder as he tests and see how he is handling it. I've seen even top notch welders blow the F outa one and then spend considerable time fixing it so it passed. He took well over the norm in time and yet he demonstrated an ability far beyond the normal welder.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld Test Timing (How long does a 1" qualification take?)