Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld, grind flush
- - By devincastor Date 01-21-2016 15:26
I'm looking to see if there is a specification related to the attached photos.  I don't like the gap Production is leaving here after grinding yet I don't know Welding enough to definitively say the condition is non-conforming. 

Thank you for your time in advance.
Attachment: IMG_0645.JPG (318k)
Attachment: IMG_0646.JPG (260k)
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 01-21-2016 16:12
Looks like a flare bevel or flare vee groove, where the groove has an "Underfill" discontinuity.
Without knowing the quality acceptance criteria that governs the welding on this job, I can't say if it's acceptable or rejectable.
I can say that AWS structural welding codes call groove weld underfill a defect, requiring repair.

Tim
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-21-2016 16:15
Welcome to the forum Devin!

The condition appears to be what is referred to as "underfill" or possibly "undercut"

Underfill:
A groove weld condition in which the weld face or root surface is below the adjacent surface of the base metal.

Undercut:
A groove melted into the base metal adjacent to the weld too or weld root and left unfilled by weld metal.

Both conditions "can" be rejectable, depending on the code or quality specification involved.

Can you say more about the code, specification governing the work?
Parent - By devincastor Date 01-21-2016 16:35
Thank you to you and to Tim for the replies. 

The customer requirement is to ensure a good weld but to grind any reinforcement flush with the surface.  More than anything, I don't like the way it looks.  Much of what we do here is highly aesthetic and we have 100+ different customers in any given year.  For me to accept this condition will unfortunately transfer over to other customers by human nature. 

I appreciate your time.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-22-2016 00:09
Devin,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

1) They are ground flush, if that is the weld symbol and job requirements then it has been met.  How deep is the 'track' left after grinding?  While an obvious visual eye catcher it may not even be deep enough to reject as undercut.
2) It may be underfill IF the approved drawing calls out a weld thickness that would put the weld all the way to the top of the apparent flare bevel groove.  If the weld is not called out to be that high then once welded to more than needed and ground down it has totally met requirements and is acceptable.
3) If it is rejectable then it is an easy fix by adding a pass along that edge and re-grinding. 
4) Just because we don't like the LOOKS of something is not adequate for rejection. 
5) What does the company QC Manual and/or general notes for the job state as to finished condition?
6) It mainly appears to be a personal QC issue unless there are definite job requirements that would state otherwise.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld, grind flush