Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / best career oriented welding course
- - By thinkerthink Date 01-23-2016 12:16
My son has just completed his 12th grade and now willing to build his career in welding field. So he is thinking to do MIG welding course ( http://www.weldtechtraining.com/welding-courses/customized-welding-courses/gmaw ) from Weldtech training in Mississauga. I would like to know what would be the best career oriented welding course for him? Any concerns in this regards.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 01-23-2016 13:10 Edited 01-23-2016 13:20
While it may be no different, I would emphasize stick-welding as his first series of courses, and follow with mig welding, as I believe the skills learned in SMAW benefit and support when learning GMAW.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-23-2016 14:27
A mig welding course will lead to employment sooner based upon the hours of training required. Consider it close to learning how to change oil, replace a waterpump, and do a tune up. Something that can put you to work but far from being able to rebuild an engine, install it, and getting it to run.

MIG can be learned in a relatively short period of time to a level suitable for entry level employment. 40 to 80 hours can get many to a level suitable to jump from a minimum wage job. I recently had a student that never welded and was working on a road crew laying asphalt and 40 hour of training later, he is working at a company MIG welding 5th wheels for tractor trailers. On the other end, I have had students that completed a 2 year course at another college and it was difficult to watch them struggle with the most basice welding exercises. Abilities can be somewhat related to the drive and skills of the individual.

GMAW (Mig) as a lifelong career may be limiting. My 1st welding job was MIG as a HS student. Though I have used the process since and the skills gained have been valuable, the ability to perform all processes and possession of a core knowledge related to welding has been what has provided me a fulfilling career. The training time began in HS and has continued since.

Here is something that may be worth a read.

http://weldinginstructors.org/ga/2015/02/how-much-training-is-needed-to-be-a-welder/

I looked at the course and it looked fine. Just remember, if 37.5 hours of training could lead to a well paying career with many options for employment, everyone wouild be doing it. There is a somewhat linear "effort to reward" relationship.

Have a great day!

Gerald Austin
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-23-2016 21:52
I somewhat agree with pipewelder_1999.
It seems that the hand eye coordination skills for wirefeed processes are easier than those for SMAW.
There are production floor jobs readily available for those with this single skill.
If one is simply looking for the fast track road to employment, I say go for it.
You can always advace via OJT or additional classes.
Welding is like learning to play the piano. Quite easy to learn something basic like "Chopstix", but difficult to master say a sonata by Chopin.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 01-28-2016 15:30
Since the OP is in Canada, and apparently has decided to make welding his career, I would suggest that the first step should be to contact the Ontario apprenticeship board and find out what courses will be required as a level one apprentice, and take those, rather than taking courses in the hope of landing a low-level welding job. Also, funding is available through both provincial and federal govts. for those registered in apprenticeship programs, and may pay for the cost of taking courses.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-28-2016 16:56
Does CWB have a forum that may be a great place for him to ask those questions? I never really thought about the "funded" options.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 01-28-2016 21:42
Unfortunately, they don't, and they are a much more industry-controlled outfit than AWS, which is why I dropped my membership when I retired. They seem to be more concerned with CWI certification than common welding questions, and are a good examle of what happens when commercial interests take over. WeldTech is a commercial training and testing organization, with branches in each province, but course costs are higher than many community colleges.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-29-2016 12:24 Edited 01-29-2016 12:28
The CWB is certainly a "Bureau"  make no mistakes  :)

But in many ways the CWB does things right... (in my opinion)

I've had several knife fights with the "Procedures Group"  but they are very good at what they do and are willing to consider some pretty creative stuff once they understand what you are after.

I just sat for the CWB  "Supervisor" and "CWI" exams last month.....  Navigation through W47 and W59 was a bit more taxing than navigating D1.1, but that may be because of my own tendency to think D1...

And as far as being "Industry Controlled" ???   Surely you Jest...   I've been doing AWS committee work for quite some time now and find it hard to believe that any body could be more governed by Industry/volunteers :)
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 01-29-2016 15:25
Since the recent merger of the CWA and the CWB, good work is still being done  by the many CWA branches across Canada, but the type of access to knowledge still being promoted by this forum, is now totally lacking. Non-members no longer have access to the magazines and there is little promotion of the trade, except that done by local branches. CWA membership is reasonable, but unlikely to attract new and enthusiastic weldors and freely spread a wide range of knowledge, as this forum does. In my opinion, this forum, and some  on-line access to welding education for all, is one of the best features of AWS, even though support seems recently doubtful!
- - By Paladin (***) Date 01-25-2016 01:28 Edited 01-25-2016 13:13
I think the above advise is good.
GMAW (MIG) would be the quickest- easiest  to get up and drawing a paycheck.
Having the additional skills of SMAW (Stick) and GTAW (TIG) would be a much better long range plan.

It is not always the case, but some jobs the actual act of fusing metal together is a small part of the work.

At the very least really knowing basic  Trig and an understanding of Geometry is MOST helpful.

I took a collage level drafting course long ago. I can not overstate how useful that has been.
I don't know if they still teach how to draw with a pencil, architectural scale, and compass, but I hope so.
Being able to put ideas to paper, draw your own prints, and read prints can only help advance ones opportunities.

Lots more to welding than just burning rods or wire.

Floyd
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-25-2016 02:00
But, if one can burn the rods well, money is good. If one is interested in jobs where welding is "part" of the job, then other skills and abilities can be their primary job and welding will support what they do and they may not need to be greatly skilled in welding. 

I have cleared a few grand in a week and never once did I do anything except weld pipes/tubes together. No math, no drafting, no metallurgy, no inspection. Just my skills with my hands (which are average) . Not saying those other things aren't helpful sometimes, but that ability to weld stuff together is unmatched in my opinion.

Someone can learn in a classroom many things related to welding that are not actual welding, but when it comes to being a welder, being able to weld is essential and carries the most weight in many of the industries I have worked in.

My experience is somewhat limited so this is just one mans opinion. Being able to fit or do other tasks is a definite as I have also hired in as a welder and fitter and also as an inspector. So the more talents, the better.

A guy with a PHD in math, metallurgy, and the grand poobah of drafting that can weld "a little" is no match to that person that can weld anything on the job regardless of material, process, position, or accessibility. Again, an opinion based upon limited experiences.

Still, some good points and we can never learn too much.

I recently tested a guy that went through 5 mos of training 4 hours a day for 5 days a week. Still couldn't weld uphill with a 7018. He missed out on a 38 Hr construction job. Said they spent 2/3rds of their time in the classroom.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 01-27-2016 18:33
I concur, pipewelder1999. Rod manipulation skills are still king. I am always stressing the books to students, because I want them to have fabrication skills, but GMAW certs and jobs without good SMAW skills are the road to mediocre paychecks.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / best career oriented welding course