Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.5
- - By AcidFox34 Date 03-06-2016 00:12
I have a question and need a little info.
I have been the NDT field for ten years now and I am interested in moving up the ladder. I want to get the d1.5. So  is it included in the d1.1 or is it separate. And what are the qualifications for the d1.5.
Thanks if you responded
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-06-2016 03:13
One can use one of several welding standards for the open code book examination. D1.5 is one of the approved codes. The only codes covered during the AWS sponsored CWI seminar are API 1104 and AWS D1.1. If you want to use D1.5, you have to prepare yourself by studying the code on your own.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-06-2016 03:56
AcidFox,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

As I am uncertain of the EXACT direction of your question, let me make a couple of observations.

1) Once one has taken and passed the 3 part CWI exam they are qualified and certified to inspect to any code. 
2) But, AWS has an endorsement program that one may utilize to prove proficiency in other codes.
3) D1.1 Structural Welding Code- Steel does not contain D1.5 Bridge Code within it's texts; they are separate.
4) If an employer desires proof of comprehension of a specific code then D1.1 does not 'contain' D1.5; they are separate.
5) You will need the D1.5 Bridge Code in order to self-study for the open code book exam for the D1.5 endorsement.
6) There are no different 'qualifications' for taking the exam and inspecting to D1.5 than there are for D1.1; they are the same.

Hope we answered your questions.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By AcidFox34 Date 03-07-2016 15:24
Thanks for the info. I do apreciate it
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.5