Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS Tool Kits/Plastic Replicas
- - By TheNumber8 (*) Date 03-08-2016 23:05
Does anyone know if AWS plans on updating their tool kits and plastic replica samples which can be purchased to match the new Part-B examination?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-09-2016 01:43
I'm pretty sure they would have to or nothing makes any sense.  You could in no way prep for Part B without the same tools and molds.  But, the hi-lo gauge isn't that expensive, I have one, to add for yourself and I would not use most of the tools you get from the seminar/exam as my primary equipment, too cheap. 

Our seminar is under way and we are working the Part B on Thur-Fri.  I'm pretty sure the instructor said the practice molds were the new ones.  Not that it matters.  Once you are familiar with the books and the tools the molds are easily evaluated.  We do have the newest Part B Book of Specs:2016 with the homework booklet and we will have the Book of Exhibits to get familiar with on the two class days.  So the only unknown is what molds we will have.

The final unknown is how long they will wait to release the new molds to the membership.  They won't be cheap.  I believe the set I have was between $350 and $400.  I doubt if I buy the new ones unless I could get just the pipe parts. 

Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-13-2016 04:22
Brent;

By now you should have seen and used the new weld replicas. I'm sure you are as impressed by the new replicas as I was.

I also like the new practice questions, not that there isn't a few tweaks to be done, but I think it is a major leap past the old part B.

As for whether AWS will make the replicas available to the general public remains to be seen. The Certification Committee spent a lot of time and AWS spent a lot of money developing the samples you saw and used in the seminar. If you looked closely, the samples are copyrighted. AWS owns the samples, why should they sell them to the competition? They could decide to let the competition go through the exercise of developing and producing their own practice replicas.

Food for thought.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-13-2016 23:53
Al,

I think this is one of the best seminar and subsequent exams that has been put together by any organization I have seen, ASNT, ICC, City of LA, as well as previous AWS CWI exams.  The class presented by Dave Diaz was second to none (except maybe one of yours).  Well prepared, covered all needed information to be prepared for the exam, corrected misconceptions about certain aspects of the work as well as how to be prepared for and take the exam, gave great test taking tips, tips on tabbing, highlighting, and other study and time saving tips. 

I took some time before one session and did a powerpoint on what to expect upon arrival at the exam on Saturday morning.  Helped to take some of the anxiety out of what is actually the easiest part of the day.  Everyone came well prepared for registration and no one forgot their code book, calculator, etc.  All cell phones were turned off and there was total understanding of the rules and why some things are what they are. 

Yes, the replicas were amazing.  Very good quality considering they are plastic.  The questions were very good for preparing the students for the exams.  The tool kit had very appropriate deletions and addition/replacements.  The Book of Exhibits is very good for giving applicable illustrations for PQR, WPS, and Welder Qual understanding. 

All students told me they thought it was a good test, even if those who weren't at all sure they had passed. 

I'll go into more detail later when I catch up on some sleep.  The last two weeks have been grueling.  3-4 hours per night does not a good disposition make. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-14-2016 00:13
Imagine how the instructor feels after talking all day and answering questions.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-14-2016 14:01
I have had classes, either the CWI seminar or others, with John Husfeld, Lynn Sturgill, Ken Jobes, Scott Helzer, Larry Zirker (who has asked me if I would co-author an article for Inspections Trends with him), Dave Hernandez, Ralph Long, Dave Diaz, and probably a few others (hope I spelled everyone's names correctly since I didn't look them up). 

I have not had a bad experience with the knowledge, experience, or presentation yet.  Some needed more time allotted and/or a reworking of the material, as in the original How and Why of Welding Procedures by Dr. Helzer.  Even now that one needs some work, it really needs to be a two day seminar instead of just one day.  But it is still well presented material and of great value. 

I can imagine how these men who are passionate about their material and their Society responsibilities feel at the end of a week of doing all they can to help others understand and pass the exams yet walk away knowing that better than 50% will fail.

Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-14-2016 11:22
Slightly off topic question Brent,

If you own a digital copy of AWS D1.1  are you able to use it during the open book portion of CWI exams via laptop?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-14-2016 12:05
Excellent Question :grin:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-14-2016 13:53 Edited 03-14-2016 14:09
There are no Laptops allowed in operation during any of the exams.  Too easy to take pictures with and/or communicate with others and/or make a record of the questions and answers on the exams.

The way it is worded on the website, in the mailed out copy of the applicant instructions, and in the instructions to the proctors it goes like this:

You can use digital copies during the seminar week, and, if you show the receipt you may use a ringbinder photo-copier version during the exam.  Must be able to prove, via the receipt, that you possess the rights to that copy and are allowed to download and print copies of it. 

It never has been that you could use your laptop during the exam.  I had phone conversations more than once during the past 7 years of proctoring with Miami to verify how this is interpreted.  It can be a little confusing with the wording in the instructions.

Thanks for the question, it comes up almost every exam.  Some test takers get pretty upset about it.  I hand them my copy, which I always keep one with me at seminars, and tell them they can borrow that to take the exam but they aren't going to use a laptop or any other digital equipment.

Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-14-2016 14:11
I figured as much....  And I suppose I must recognize their point :)

But it is certainly not cheating, and in fact a recognized 21st century professional norm to leverage acrobat searches when using code books to find answers when doing real life work.

Since I can't provide a possible solution to the problem of security of the exams... I guess I can't really complain too much.

Thanks for the fast and thorough answer Brent.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-14-2016 23:18
I understand the current trends in technology but there is a major difference between using the available tools for speedy research of the code itself and accessing other information either in the files or on the internet or taking of pictures to get others through the exam.  Use technology at the job, leave it home for the test.

We all know the lowness of the human condition and the level of cheating that goes on in even the best of controlled situations. 

You should have seen the look on a few faces when Brent went through the rules, as published by AWS, and HOW THEY WOULD BE APPLIED DURING THIS EXAM. 

There is a note that actually says, at least the way it was written in the paperwork I got, that cell phones could be turned on.  But, as you read the whole thing, I told them, if you look at it once, you are out.  If you want to leave it on, it sits out in the hallway on silent.  If it or any other device in your possession makes any noise, you are out.  If you make a mark in your code book, you are out.  ETC.  If your wife is about to have a baby, go home now.  If someone is about to die, go home now.  There is nothing you could have done about it 20 years ago and so it is today.  You belong to this exam and there will be no interruptions.  Take your pick, go home or stay here. 

Yes, I am a hard case and protective of this exam.  Especially the new one.  That is the responsibility assigned to me.  Go take an ICC exam and see what happens when you enter the room.  Go to other test giving authorities and see how these issues are handled.  No, not in my exam room, there will be as little chance of cheating and/or copying of the test as possible.

Brent
Parent - By TheNumber8 (*) Date 03-14-2016 01:39
It would be interesting if a person from AWS would be able to comment on this topic and provide the details.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-14-2016 15:14 Edited 03-14-2016 15:35
Don't waste your money with a digital copy. It is so locked up you can't do anything with it. It would be nice to be able to take a snapshot of the page so a table or figure can be used in a presentation.

I believe in copyright protection, but AWS is over the top.

This is one time where I wouldn't blame anyone for photocopying every page from a hardcopy.

Money, money, membership be damned!

As for the seminar, it is after all a review, not a basic training class. That being said, you and I have seen many instances where the attendees have never seen a code or better yet, arrive at the site without knowing what code their employer signed them up for.

I have provided training for the Ironworkers. That course was nine days, so there was more time to cover the material in more depth.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-14-2016 23:40
Oh, I understand the purpose of the seminar completely and that is what I teach in my sessions in our section on 'Preparing for the CWI Exam'.  You want to be an inspector?  Here's how.  And I go through what they really need.  I teach them what they really need to know and have experience doing to be part of the 30% who will pass as opposed to the 70% who will fail.  Then, what they need for more resources and experience to truly be ready to do the work of a TPI.  And if they are sure they want to do it, how to apply in a way that their paperwork won't end up in a dozen different offices at Miami.  And don't forget to keep copies of everything or you WILL have lots of fun going back to doctors, notaries, passport pics, etc.

And yes, so many of them come in and have never seen the code books they have to have worked to in order to be qualified for the exam.  Most don't even know that there is a code book or what it's number is or what is in it or how to navigate it.  It is frustrating.  I try to talk these people out of taking the exam but tell them a seminar is a great place to start their education if they want to spend the money.  And then they will have a copy of all the books they need to START their education to take the exam in the distant future. 

I do wish they would have added one more day to the seminar instead of cutting down in order to extend the Part B.  But, since they should already know all of that info in the WIT it is better spent on Part B than on metallurgy, even though I personally love the metallurgy.  And, they can always take the on line classes to get a jump on things plus they will get their books ahead of time that way.

That, the books, brings up another point, it is going to be interesting to see how it pans out to issue their books early.  A lot of people are going to show up without books at the seminar and exam.  It already happens to at least one person at almost every exam.  'OOPPPS, forgot my codebook.'  Hopefully they are staying at the hotel and have a few minutes to run get it.  But a couple have lived in town and either have to leave or test without one.  Leaving really doesn't help, takes too long to get home and back.  Now they are talking about mailing out the books when people sign up.  Great, there will be many who will not bring ALL the books and some who will forget the code book.  Then listen to the whining.  I hear it used to be sent out, and they changed it for just this reason.  Now, we are going back to the past method.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease.  On again, off again.  Send the books, don't send the books.  PTL I already have mine and am not affected either way. 

Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-15-2016 01:31 Edited 03-15-2016 03:16
They are giving the books to some people before the seminar, but not to others. It is driving the instructors crazy. Everyone is trying to do their best, but it would make sense to set the policy and stick to it. My vote is to send everyone the books as soon as they pay the fees and leave it to them to bring all the books to the seminar. If they can't manage to do that, they should try something that doesn't require responsibility and self reliance. No books, go home, we don't need you. Sounds harsh, but life can be harsh. We want the cream, not the whey.

The fly in the ointment is the employer that signs up an employee and doesn't tell the employee. So, how does one sign the application if they don't even know they are attending the seminar? Hummm. Interesting.

When asked, I always tell prospective candidates to attend the CWI seminar and take the examination the following month at a different site. That allows sufficient time to study. If one can't find the time to study during that four weeks, it is time to consider whether one is serious about earning the CWI.

"But I am working overtime." Time to make a decision, you want to become a CWI, certification as a NDE Level XX, or college degree or you want to continue maintaining the status quo. I've heard all the excuses and I've been there. One must choose to forgo the overtime or the game on television to attend the required courses and to do the homework. No one hands you the CWI credential, NDE certification, or college degree without you putting in the time and effort to fulfill the requirements.

Another reality; if only 30% pass, that's the 30% we want. I think the pass rate is higher, but not everyone has the drive and dedication needed to fulfill the position of a CWI. A close examination of the qualifications of a CWI are impressive. I will support every effort to raise the bar to ensure those individuals that earn the CWI credential can do the work. 

I've heard comments from engineers taking the seminar that there is no way AWS can actually expect someone to remember everything covered in the seminar. Another comment heard repeatedly; "I've never studied this hard in my life." To those remarks I say, "If I can pass the examination, anyone can, but it takes effort and dedication to study all the materials and do all the homework."

You and many others have put in the time to learn the material. No one handed you the credentials you have earned. The credentials cost you time, lost wages while you attended the classes, and just think of the television, football, basketball, and baseball games you missed. You made a decision and you did the work needed to earn the credentials.

Granted, some people have to take the exams, study, take the exam again, and repeat the process until they have mastered the materials. No one has ever said it is an easy examination. Some people need the extra time to master the material. Different people, different approaches to digest and learn the material. It is just the way it is. Dedication and determination is what is required. Hey, I passed, how hard can it be?

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-15-2016 03:06
PTL= Praise The Lord!! 

And you have nailed it and not pulled any punches with that post.

Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-15-2016 03:28
Just noticed a pic on Linked In by Jim Shore in the Part B exam room with the actual new replicas.  Not sure that was a good idea.  But, with them copyrighted AWS may not consider it a problem.

Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-15-2016 14:43
Didn't see it. Maybe Jim removed it.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-15-2016 23:28
I don't find it either.  I downloaded the pic and saved it but I don't intend to post it in the public domain until I know for sure what is going on. 

Brent
Parent - - By TheNumber8 (*) Date 03-16-2016 21:10
I tried to locate this pic.  Do you have a link?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-16-2016 23:28
I went totally through several days worth of the home page updates on Linked In and can't find it anymore.  We are thinking that AWS realized what was in the pic and removed it but can't prove that theory.  All I know is I have a copy of it that I downloaded when I saw it to show my son, already a CWI, what the new replicas look like. 

If I find it again and it is in the public domain I will share more.

Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-15-2016 11:56
"My vote is to send everyone the books as soon as they pay the fees and leave it to them to bring all the books to the seminar." - Al

AMEN!....the books and materials SHOULD be sent as soon as AWS receives monies for the seminar. I agree, it should be up to the individual to make sure those materials get to the seminar, if they want to use them.

I received those materials ahead of the seminar and it was a huge help to have had an opportunity to glance over the materials before attending the class.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 03-15-2016 21:49
"it should be up to the individual to make sure those materials get to the seminar, if they want to use them."
I totally agree.
I feel for who ever gets stuck sitting next to them.
You know they will SWEAR the Airline lost their luggage or some other lame excuse.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-15-2016 22:34
'Dog ate them'.  'Bully down the road threw them in a mud puddle.'  Oh, here we go, 'my wife was supposed to pack them.'  :eek:  This is definitely going to make being a proctor fun for the next couple of years.

Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS Tool Kits/Plastic Replicas