Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ICC Structural Steel and Bolting Exam
- - By eload1983 Date 05-09-2016 22:43
So I just hired on with an engineering firm in Michigan. I have an NDT background with level II certs in MT, PT and VT. This company, however, does a lot of building reviews that requires an S1 ICC cert. I dont yet have my CWI due to not having 3 yrs experience (I only have a little over 2). I have zero bolting inspection experience (100% weld) so its all new to me. I know the format of the exam and have been prepping for a few days now. I have all the books (2015 IBC, AISC, steel inspection manual) and its been a bit overwhelming. I never had any idea bolting inspection was this complicated (A325, A490, twist off, etc). I purchased the ICC S1 online study course and it has helped quite a bit to familiarize me with the code and its format. I have a lot of plan reading experience with my time spent doing weld inspection on nuclear subs but never have read plans for buildings and bolts.

My question to you folks is have any of you taken it recently and if so, do you have any tips?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-10-2016 00:27
Hello Eload,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

So, RECENTLY..??  I took the AWS Bolting exam back in about '09.  I took the ICC S1 back in '14.  I like the AWS exam better as far as its' thoroughness.  But, the ICC adds blueprint reading which is a separate and stand alone endorsement exam for AWS. 

You will mainly be in the AISC and mostly in the RCSC portion of that though there are a couple of questions from the front part which is tabbed bolts and may be some in another section that covers anchor bolts.  You can pass the exam with nothing but the AISC/RCSC but the more you get correct from the couple of other sources the better your chances. 

Now, make sure you have the 2010 edition of AISC (14th edition) and the 2012 of IBC.  I'm not sure if IBC is testing to the 2015 but check that out closely on the IBC website to make sure of which editions are being tested to.  Don't just go buy the newest one and think that you are good. 

On the plans part, make sure you chase all the schedules and notes.  Seldom is the answer easy.  They will bounce you from page to page on the plans to make sure you know how to check all that out. 

There used to be a thread on this forum dealing with this in some depth, I will see if I can find it after our web staff totally messed the site up and get you a link. 

Now, notice in the IBC Chapter 17 that welding inspectors have a qualification they must meet which is QC-1 of AWS.  BUT, bolting does not specify any inspector certification or even qualification, just says it must be done either periodically or continually and distinguishes which is which.  Certification is not IBC mandated for bolting.  But, it does prove ones ability to navigate the code and shows a level of knowledge that many want on paper. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By eload1983 Date 05-10-2016 14:12
Thanks for the tips. I feel pretty comfortable with the code questions portion. I will be taking it to the 2015 IBC per the direction from my project manager. I am somewhat concerned about the plan reading portion as I feel the plans will be nothing like what I am used to (virginia class nuclear subs) and only welds/weld symbols vs bolts and structural frame makeups. They will be of a building correct? Will I need to have the W/S/M/HP/C shapes mastered to read the plans?
Parent - By JMc (*) Date 05-10-2016 17:22
The plans they give you are for a multi-story building. They are nothing like you will ever see in the real world.

My advice would be to take a few minutes to look them over before you even begin the test just like you would do in real life.
They're tricky but they are also fairly easy to figure out in a few minutes. If you can read structural drawings you will have no problem.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-10-2016 23:43
No disrespect intented:  BUT, IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOUR PROJECT MANAGER SAYS TO TAKE THE TEST TO! 

You need to go online and check to see if the testing facility for the IBC exams is using the 2015 edition for their tests.  Only the editions they state in their directions can be used. 

This is 2016, the 2015 is so new out that no one is using it yet.  Cities, Counties, and States have to assign committees to go through and draw up all appropriate amendments because some of their local statutes will cause a variance to be needed from the international standards.  This process takes at least a year.  Usually they only change every 6 years even though the IBC comes out with a new one every 3 years.  The 2000, 2006, and now 2012 are the standards adopted by MOST (though granted, not all).  Most won't change again until the 2018 edition. 

JT described the plans portion pretty well.  If you aren't familiar with structural erection plans they will be a challenge.  But, as you are only interested in what is there for bolting it may not be too bad.  The welding portion is different. 

Brent
Parent - By eload1983 Date 05-11-2016 00:01
You have the option when scheduling it to take it to the 2012 IBC or the 2015 IBC through ICC's exam vendor(PearsonVUE). So I am fine there. I chose the 2015 IBC option and my project manager actually knows her stuff. We have had several inspectors take the S1 recently and they all did the 2015 IBC option. Thanks for the tips on plan reading. I definitely feel better about taking it. I scheduled it for this Thursday morning (5/12). Wish me luck!
Parent - By eload1983 Date 05-11-2016 00:05
I am also aware most jurisdictions adopt the IBC later than the IBC publishes their newest edition. Michigan(my state) for example just adopted the 2012 IBC into their code last year. But she is recommending we still take it to the newer 2015 IBC as the S1 cert we get is still accepted by our customers even though we took it to a newer 2015 IBC. It still demonstrates we have the knowledge that they need us to know.
Parent - By eload1983 Date 05-11-2016 00:12
The S1 doesnt get into welding, its mostly bolts and general steel erection. That would be the S2 certification that refers to welding. I plan on getting my CWI but still need another year of experience to get it. I only have a little over 2 yrs but you need 3 (I have a bachelors of science that cuts down the requisite experience to 3 yrs per AWS). I may get the CAWI sooner as im eligible for it and if you pass it you can automatically get the CWI with a form submission once you get to 3 yrs experience.
Parent - - By eload1983 Date 05-12-2016 18:18
So I took it this morning and failed. I had no problem with the code portion and passed that. However, the plans were a nightmare. They looked nothing like what I am used to. I want to take it again but is there anyway to prep for that? The course i took only preps to the codes,  not the plans.
Parent - By JMc (*) Date 05-13-2016 16:12
Grab some plans laying around the office and study them. Or get your PM to PlanGrid you some. If you can read structural drawings you should pass the test. That's what they're testing you on.

Not trying to be mean but it is one of those things that either you can do it or you can't. The drawings they give you are a little odd but that's what they're testing you on is your ability to hit the curve ball. Just like the CWI Part B. Inspectors need to be able to hit the curve ball.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-10-2016 00:35
Okay, take a look through this thread.  It will add a lot of information to what you will need.

https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?pid=157774;hl=AWS%20Bolting%20Endorsement

Brent
- - By Satman1969 Date 05-12-2016 00:45
I am interested in taking the ICC Structural Steel and Bolting exam. I have been in Oil & Gas for 26 years. I have my CWI and experienced in 1104 & D1.1
Can I take the ICC course & exam at a location by a reputable institution or do I need to take it online.
And what are the books I will need to get .

Thank you..
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-12-2016 04:43
Go to  iccsafe.org  .  You will find all the material you will need for study and testing.  Follow the link in the post a couple above here and you will find additional information for study and areas of testing. 

I forget the name, but there is a testing company that has offices throughout the US and elsewhere that handles their testing.  There are no classes for the Bolting exam through either AWS or ICC.  But, there are institutions that have classes if you can find them that are applicable.  AISC I believe has some. 

Neither organization allows these tests to be taken online.

Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ICC Structural Steel and Bolting Exam