Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / SCWI vs 9 Year CWI
- - By Superflux (****) Date 05-16-2016 12:26
Dear All,
Uh oh... that dreaded time is around the corner.
I am contemplating my options as to whether I should go PDH to re-up for my 9 year, get additional certs (eg. API 1169, 653), or go for the rare and coveted SCWI.
What DOES the SCWI do for me professionally? Do I even know any SCWIs? Well probably virtually in this forum, but face to face.
How will it benefit me when it hits the buzz word filter on HR's laptop?
Will angels and cherubs trumpet to me from on high?
Will swimsuit models prostrate themselves before me?
Please Advise.
Thanks
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 05-16-2016 15:05
From what I've seen about your work experience posts, I assume that you do global contract inspection work. Not sure if you work for yourself or others.
I would think that an SCWI would help you obtain higher level contracts where you manage the inspection activities of others, if you're not already?

No angels, cherubs and swimsuit models, unless the jobs pay so much you can buy some.

Tim
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-17-2016 04:45 Edited 05-17-2016 11:06
Tim, thank you for the input.
I am leaning towards the SCWI because of what you mentioned, it is uncommon AND since I am older than electric arc welding, the "senior" label does not hurt my feelings. Well not TOO much.

It's not easy being me. Especially when you gotta face that looks like it wore out two bodies and a body that could have lived two lives.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-18-2016 13:48
Even with the SCWI I doubt you would get laid in a whore house while holding a fist full of hundred dollar bills. So, if that the driving factor in deciding whether to go for the SCWI, I would not bother.

However, there are advantages to holding the SCWI credential. One that holds the SCWI has demonstrated the ability to write a WPS and perform job functions not expected of a CWI. It differentiates you from mere CWIs and other SCWI want-a-bees.

Best regards - Al :grin:
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-18-2016 15:52
Funny you should say that Al. Rather Harsh, yet non the less amusing.
There is actually a very funny story of me getting chased out of a "La Casa del Sol Naciente" in Tijuana back in '87.
I vaguely remember something about my lovely Felina screaming "EL DIABLO" at me and barstools flying.
A combination of Mexican Tequila and Peruvian nasal medicine for some odd reason makes other people misinterpret my words and intentions. Or perhaps it was my butchering of the Spanish language...

I've been perusing the forums, researching the process and have formulated a course of study for the SCWI.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-18-2016 19:37
I would not have said it if I didn't think you would get a chuckle from it.

The SCWI is well worth the effort.

Al
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 05-19-2016 01:17 Edited 05-19-2016 06:30
flux,
listen to Al
my advice which is worth nothing
on this subject:eek::wink:
I think Brent is the one to ask and give great insight
I might be wrong, but not the first time:red::eek:
sincerely,
Kent
edit: btw everyone knows how I feel about inspectors and engineers:eek::evil::twisted::razz:
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-19-2016 04:05
Never took the SCWI though am considering it myself.

Been following this as well as the previous one from Tim with interest.

Al is correct to my best info, there are advantages and no regrets to getting it even if it is not actually a requirement at most available jobs.

Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / SCWI vs 9 Year CWI