Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / CWI test study material accuracy issues???
- - By jdschauerman Date 07-10-2016 14:59
Good morning all. I am currently studying to take my CWI 1104 test. I'm not sure if I am going insane because of all the studying or if I am actually seeing numerous errors in the study texts? As I go through and take the tests in AWS CWI examinations volume II I am following the math formulas to a "T" yet I regularly come up with a different answer than the one given. For example in the calculation of tensile strengths, finding the area of a circle, etc. Has anyone else noticed this or am I doing something wrong and just not catching the error? It seems like the formulas given do not work consistently for all the practice questions. If I am not going insane and others have noticed this to be true. Are there any other study materials available that are accurate? Materials related to CWI test prep other than what I have and not just general math tutorials? Thanks for the help
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-10-2016 20:35 Edited 07-10-2016 20:38
There are a couple of errors in the API study guide. Not to say there are not errors in the handouts, but I'm not aware of any.

Fair warning, tensile strength, as used by API 1104 is not the same as ultimate tensile strength as used by AWS D1.X and ASME Section IX.

Since you are working with the study materials, how about some specific examples rather than a broad brush condemnation. We can't offer much help other than a shoulder to cry on without specifics.

Al
Parent - - By jdschauerman Date 07-11-2016 02:50
Al, I hope you have big shoulders!!! Seriously though I see all kinds of errors. But, no matter. I'm wading through the information and as I see stuff that I know is erroneous I just move on and go forward. Just expected more accuracy from the publications provided. Thanks for your response.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-11-2016 03:25
Seriously, if you have specific examples that are incorrect, share them with the rest of those trying to study for the API 1104 open book examination.

Al
Parent - - By HJLBX Date 07-12-2016 06:08 Edited 07-12-2016 06:13
jdschauerman...

You're not crazy - yet. 

I have been in contact with AWS in regards to this matter.  Their explanation as to the cause of text errors is typographical and layout errors made by the printer.

There are more than just a few errors in the AWS study materials - both in the required and suggested body of knowledge texts as well as the online training.

Incorrect formulas, mis-located images, missing\incomplete sentences, quiz questions that do not contain the correct answer, etc.

The older versions of the WIT text and study guide (quizzes) have more errors than the latest version - but they all have overt errors.

The best that you can do is catch and make a mental note of the errors as you study.

Someone that doesn't pay attention - well - it could mean the difference between that person passing or failing the CWI exam.

Considering the cost of all the materials - and the fact that some of us have no resources other than the AWS study materials to learn - it is frustrating and sometimes downright infuriating  - but it just is what it is...
Parent - - By jdschauerman Date 07-16-2016 06:37
HJ, Thank you for confirming my sanity. Thus far!! Guess it's a good thing I am paying attention. Appreciate your input. Looking forward to the test. One other thing...in your communication with AWS..have you addressed the differences in the 1104 2oth and 21st edition by chance? If so, are they major? Enough to cause exam failure?
Parent - By HJLBX Date 07-16-2016 17:05
Unfortunately I have no infos on API 1104; I am studying D1.1.
- By Palunka81 Date 07-12-2016 08:08
a
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / CWI test study material accuracy issues???